• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Interesting piece about George Galloway. Apologies for the Guardian link, yes I do feel dirty but still, food for thought.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...s-jeremy-corbyn-id-want-me-to-be-london-mayor

I wonder what his real agenda is.
George Galloway = Katie Hopkins
why do they get column inches? Both of em will say anything if they think it will get reported.
Goldsmith vs Khan is the interesting element (and with Heathrow off the agenda till it's too late to influence this election)

George Galloway = Katie Hopkins
why do they get column inches? Both of em will say anything if they think it will get reported.
Goldsmith vs Khan is the interesting element (and with Heathrow off the agenda till it's too late to influence this election)

Why's he digging out Khan? Up to this point it's been quite civilized. It's a two horse race I agree but don't you think that Galloway could damage the Labour vote.

Why's he digging out Khan? Up to this point it's been quite civilized. It's a two horse race I agree but don't you think that Galloway could damage the Labour vote.
He is gunning for Khan because that is what he does - lashes out to get noticed.
I think people are bored of him, he is a yesterday man. I doubt he has the network of party workers needed in London as he has been flitting around the country trying to get re-elected.

In a close run election people like Respect or UKIP could pick up votes that people regret casting but I doubt many votes will go any party that is not Labour or Tory.

He is gunning for Khan because that is what he does - lashes out to get noticed.
I think people are bored of him, he is a yesterday man. I doubt he has the network of party workers needed in London as he has been flitting around the country trying to get re-elected.

In a close run election people like Respect or UKIP could pick up votes that people regret casting but I doubt many votes will go any party that is not Labour or Tory.

it's a supplementary vote system so even a few votes for smaller parties won't stop a Khan v Goldsmith run off.
FWIW i think Goldsmith will sneak it especially if the hard left have more success in purging the impure moderates

it's a supplementary vote system so even a few votes for smaller parties won't stop a Khan v Goldsmith run off.
FWIW i think Goldsmith will sneak it especially if the hard left have more success in purging the impure moderates
This hard left purge thing is being exaggerated by the press for their own means and most of the abuse that is being dished out is from fake twitter accounts so it only takes a couple of people with time on their hands to seem like a mob. Even when this concept is taken on by more than a few old school Trots I wouldn't have thought that it would have any impact on the Mayoral election.

To return to the opening post - this is an interesting article on Galloway and why his impact will be limited:

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/01/why-george-galloways-luck-may-finally-be-running-out/

Backed Sadiq Khan a few weeks ago. London's still Labour, even if it did elect a Conservative twice in a row.

Backed Sadiq Khan a few weeks ago. London's still Labour, even if it did elect a Conservative twice in a row.

Inner London, but not necessarily Greater London. Remember Surrey, Essex, Kent, Hertfordshire, Berkshire etc are all blue and fair chunks of them form part of the mayoral constituency.

I think Labour still has an edge, but it's closer than you'd think.

This hard left purge thing is being exaggerated by the press for their own means and most of the abuse that is being dished out is from fake twitter accounts so it only takes a couple of people with time on their hands to seem like a mob. Even when this concept is taken on by more than a few old school Trots I wouldn't have thought that it would have any impact on the Mayoral election.

To return to the opening post - this is an interesting article on Galloway and why his impact will be limited:

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/01/why-george-galloways-luck-may-finally-be-running-out/

Interestingly,according to the biography of JC that I'm currently reading,the Collins Review recommendations,which,of course,led to the recent suprise Labour leadership election result, were originally intended to be given a dry run for Labour candidates in the 2016 London mayoral election.

Last edited:
Inner London, but not necessarily Greater London. Remember Surrey, Essex, Kent, Hertfordshire, Berkshire etc are all blue and fair chunks of them form part of the mayoral constituency.

I think Labour still has an edge, but it's closer than you'd think.

I'm not sure any of Berkshire does? West-wise, London ends at Hillingdon (although that's a fairly blue area anyway!)

I placed the bet a while ago as I thought there was a spot of value and it's appreciably shorter now - I certainly wouldn't back Khan at the price he is today, i.e. around 1/2.

I just think that for a Conservative to win London he's got to have something a bit extra - hence Boris winning twice. Not sure Goldsmith has that in his locker.

Anyway, further to your point, here's a handy map showing who's got each parliamentary constituency at the moment

LondonParliamentaryConstituency2015Results.png

I'm not sure any of Berkshire does? West-wise, London ends at Hillingdon (although that's a fairly blue area anyway!)

I placed the bet a while ago as I thought there was a spot of value and it's appreciably shorter now - I certainly wouldn't back Khan at the price he is today, i.e. around 1/2.

I just think that for a Conservative to win London he's got to have something a bit extra - hence Boris winning twice. Not sure Goldsmith has that in his locker.

Anyway, further to your point, here's a handy map showing who's got each parliamentary constituency at the moment

LondonParliamentaryConstituency2015Results.png

Good map.

Can't remember when the mayoralty was introduced, but we've had one from each side (although IIRC Ken was independent). What we haven't seen is a race between two ordinary politicians - there is therefore no base, no control to judge this against. Both Ken and Boris were politicians known only by their first name.

The contenders this time round don't have that. They're both largely unknown. I think Goldsmith has a bit more personality to him than Sadiq Khan who seems to have not just risen without trace but hung around without leaving a mark (I know he's a former Cabinet Minister, but I'd struggle to name a single policy of his or political values other than he backed Ed Miliband).

Good map.

Can't remember when the mayoralty was introduced, but we've had one from each side (although IIRC Ken was independent). What we haven't seen is a race between two ordinary politicians - there is therefore no base, no control to judge this against. Both Ken and Boris were politicians known only by their first name.

The contenders this time round don't have that. They're both largely unknown. I think Goldsmith has a bit more personality to him than Sadiq Khan who seems to have not just risen without trace but hung around without leaving a mark (I know he's a former Cabinet Minister, but I'd struggle to name a single policy of his or political values other than he backed Ed Miliband).

Housing is a main focus.

Sadiq will set up a new department to fast-track the building of affordable homes to rent and buy, stop 'buy-to-leave' and to give preference to first-time buyers and local tenants, use the £400 million of Boris' unspent affordable homes budget to support housing associations to build a minimum of 80,000 new homes a year, bring forward more land owned by public bodies like TfL to develop for housing - this will enable more homes to be built where they are needed, rather than where developers think they can make the most money, create a new form of affordable housing with rent based on average local income not market rates, establish a London-wide not-for-profit lettings agency to promote longer-term stable tenancies, work with boroughs to set up landlord licensing schemes.

Tory boys.Have your fun but you won't be laughing in May.Though at least Uncle Leo will collect on his bet.:raspberry:

It's amazing that you appear to be aware of my voting history.

YB makes a fair point about Sadiq Khan. I don't live in London any more but still work there and also get all the London regional news via the BBC or ITV. Khan has hardly made a big splash in terms of media coverage (albeit we've got a few months to go until polling day). apart from coming across really badly on HIGIFNY once.

It's amazing that you appear to be aware of my voting history.

YB makes a fair point about Sadiq Khan. I don't live in London any more but still work there and also get all the London regional news via the BBC or ITV. Khan has hardly made a big splash in terms of media coverage (albeit we've got a few months to go until polling day). apart from coming across really badly on HIGIFNY once.

Thought only "Top People" read The Times.:winking:

Saw Zac on Newsnight last night.He didn't make much of an impression on me.I look forward to him making the details of his trust fund income public.

One Old Etonian Mayor of London is one too many.

Don't define someone by where their parents chose to send them to school, but the person they are now. I'm not massively convinced by Goldsmith either but I don't give a hoot where he did his GCSEs.

I'd sooner have a busman's son as Mayor of London anyday rather than some toff who lives on his inheritance.

Sadiq's back story will resonate much more with London voters than Goldsmith's will.

Back