• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

LOTR - ROTK

Bob Cratchitt

Devil's Advocate
Well I am now getting ready to go and see the next installment of Peter Jackson's epic cinematic experiences in 25 mins. Who elses is going/went today?? And is it the bees knees??
cool.gif

Apparently yes according to my son.
If this is any help he rates the 1st film as the best, followed by the 2nd, followed by the 3rd.

I haven't seen the first two, so I won't see this. Also haven't read the books. Same applies to Harry Potter.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chadded @ Dec. 17 2003,20:17)]I haven't seen the first two, so I won't see this. Also haven't read the books. Same applies to Harry Potter.
Thats the problem with the younger generation, no imagination. I enjoyed The Lord of the Rings and the first Harry Potter film. Real escapism and good old-fashioned entertainment. *tsk* the youth of today eh?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chadded @ Dec. 17 2003,20:17)]I haven't seen the first two, so I won't see this. Also haven't read the books. Same applies to Harry Potter.
And this is from someone who thinks Busted are a great band - says it all really.

Well considering the content they had to put in the film I thought it was a good effort, great considering the restrictions of our cinema going public. Of course Tolkien fans maybe slightly miffed about certain parts being changed or missed out but then again what else was on offer of this great book - a dodgy half finished cartoon that could not even touch these films representation of the book.

Bob, hope you had a good time at the cinema, but could you please tell Mrs New Bloke that The Return of the King is cr*p and not woth going to see.
She is on my case to go with her to see it( three and a half hours) I have not seen the first two and the last time I took her to the cinema was to see Superman 111( who said romance is dead), come on Bob help me our here
sad.gif
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (new bloke @ Dec. 18 2003,08:39)]Superman 111
Blimey, how did I miss 107 films?

BTW, chadded, the Harry Potter books are superb, well worth reading.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sebastian Weetabix @ Dec. 17 2003,21:53)]
[b said:
Thats the problem with the younger generation, no imagination. I enjoyed The Lord of the Rings and the first Harry Potter film. Real escapism and good old-fashioned entertainment.  *tsk* the youth of today eh?
Hear hear, SW.

I think Harry Potter is great despite the fact that I look like him. As for LotR, I spent two heavenly days lying in a hammock in Fiji ploughing through about 600 pages of it - talk about total escapism and relaxation. That was as near to perfect peace and relaxation as I could ever have imagined. Marvellous. I think Peter Jackson has done an amazing job with the films as well.

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ Dec. 18 2003,11:44)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveh1510 @ Dec. 18 2003,11:41)]BTW, chadded, the Harry Potter books are superb, well worth reading.
oh Steve, just as we were getting on so well you had to go and spoil it!
Whats wrong with Harry P?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveh1510 @ Dec. 18 2003,11:50)]
[b said:
[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveh1510 @ Dec. 18 2003,11:41)]BTW, chadded, the Harry Potter books are superb, well worth reading.
I just can't stand the whole HP mania, the way perfectly normal adults have suddenly become brain-washed by what is, basically, a kids book.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ Dec. 18 2003,11:58)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveh1510 @ Dec. 18 2003,11:50)]
[b said:
[b said:
I just can't stand the whole HP mania, the way perfectly normal adults have suddenly become brain-washed by what is, basically, a kids book.
But they are genuinely very good books, which can be enjoyed by both adults and children alike.

Have you read them? I was sceptical before I read them but Mrs h1510 insisted i read them and i was converted!

Woah a lovers' tiff could be erupting here, steady on guys, just kiss and make up!
wink.gif

Steve - your situation was similar to mine. My wife was trying to force me to read them, and being a Tolkien/Lewis fan I decided that the HP books would never touch these classics. Also similar to Leeboy I was put off my the mania. She was never interested in Fantasy books involving elfs and dwarfs, so her perception was that Tolkien would be too boring to read. So we struck a deal I would read the HP books and she would read LOTR.

I admit I really did enjoy them, they are well written, not in any poncey literature way but in the way they keep you reading the book.

However my wife read LOTR and now has been become an obsessed Tolkien fan. So much so that last night was her birthday treat and 80% of Xmas list is Tolkien based.

What the hell have i unleashed
cool.gif

I read 4 of the Hp books and at the time really liked them. I then read the LOTR books, unfortunatly the third book for me was a drag, so i skipped 50 pages and read nearer the end. I think LOTR wins hands down, although i think the Dragonlance books especially the chronicles beats both.

Going to see the third LOTR film tommorow, meant to be brilliant, apart from changing some of the end

hardly a lover's tiff Andee, just 2 guys having a healthy debate
wink.gif

It's just the hype that ****es me off, especially when everyones reading HP/ LOTR on the train, and it's for that reason that I refuse to become one of the clones.
I'll read them in my own time, when nobodys telling me to read them......

Back