• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Expected to open again from 6:00PM according to the TrafficEngland website.

M25 has been a car park all week, Kev had a Heathrow pick up yesterday, took him 6 hours round trip. Not a word of thanks from the ignorant git he picked up either.

I wonder which hugely paid moron authorised roadworks on both the north and south sides of it at the same time? Not that that affects the knock on from accidents of course, just think it would be better not to have roadworks going on both ways at the same time.

See it's still shut and now a problem at QE2 bridge with attendant tailbacks - should be a fun journey down! Does anyone know if Arterial at Kent Elms is still closed on Friday nights? Been a nightmare last two games.

A bad accident involving a lorry with one person seriously injured, will be shut for a while still.

Been trying to find out who is attending this one. If its Lanterns then they wont hang about and should get it cleared pretty quickly. If its Friendlies then you might want to find another route. If its CS Motors attending then :'(

See it's still shut and now a problem at QE2 bridge with attendant tailbacks - should be a fun journey down! Does anyone know if Arterial at Kent Elms is still closed on Friday nights? Been a nightmare last two games.
Just come through it. It is open, no re-surfacing signs and flowing freely.

Heard just now on the Beeb that Highways Agency have said they expect it closed ALL DAY! They are conducting surveys of the area where the lorry crossed the barriers. This is the second incident this week on the same stretch.:stunned:

Ok, having seen the footage on the BBC website heres what is going to happen [puts Incident Manager head on] First things first, the police will send in their Traffic Investigation Unit [TIU] to find out why this incident happened in the first place. Before all that, casualities will be treated at scene and taken to hospital. These things are not rushed, trauma teams take their time for obvious reasons. In the mean time, recovery will have been informed and would be on their way to scene, normally two heavy wreckers, Air Bag Unit and an Incident Manager. The IM will liase with the police and Highway Agency but has no overall control until the police have finished their investigation which can take hours.

By what I can see from the video, the alcove needs cutting away to create a clear path for the recovery operation and also the load will need to be transhipped. Depending on what it is, this will be done with either a crane or grab lorry or by hand boarding [5 hours to shift 40 tons of onions still haunts me :sad:] Once the load is away the wreckers will position either side of the casualty, one to pull and one to act as an anchor. The rigging can now begin and the starter air bags can be deployed. This all takes time, its not called heavy recovery for nothing, every bit of kit is sodding heavy from the strops and shackles to the airbags themselves so we work slowly and carefully to get it right the first time.

Once to air bags have strated the initial lift the winches take over and we can bring the casualty over in about 5 minutes. Once upright we can de-rig and get the casualty hooked up on the underlift and get it out of the way. Once we have done our bit then Highways will come in and repair the alcove. This road could be fully closed for up to 12 hours and part closed for twice that while the barrier repair takes place. So I would avoid the area for the rest of the day and find another route. It isn't going to be a quick job.

Cheers Al but can you please give poor old Kev the heads up in future just in case he is off to heathrow and needs a thank you to keep him happy.

Ok, having seen the footage on the BBC website heres what is going to happen [puts Incident Manager head on] First things first, the police will send in their Traffic Investigation Unit [TIU] to find out why this incident happened in the first place. Before all that, casualities will be treated at scene and taken to hospital. These things are not rushed, trauma teams take their time for obvious reasons. In the mean time, recovery will have been informed and would be on their way to scene, normally two heavy wreckers, Air Bag Unit and an Incident Manager. The IM will liase with the police and Highway Agency but has no overall control until the police have finished their investigation which can take hours.

By what I can see from the video, the alcove needs cutting away to create a clear path for the recovery operation and also the load will need to be transhipped. Depending on what it is, this will be done with either a crane or grab lorry or by hand boarding [5 hours to shift 40 tons of onions still haunts me :sad:] Once the load is away the wreckers will position either side of the casualty, one to pull and one to act as an anchor. The rigging can now begin and the starter air bags can be deployed. This all takes time, its not called heavy recovery for nothing, every bit of kit is sodding heavy from the strops and shackles to the airbags themselves so we work slowly and carefully to get it right the first time.

Once to air bags have strated the initial lift the winches take over and we can bring the casualty over in about 5 minutes. Once upright we can de-rig and get the casualty hooked up on the underlift and get it out of the way. Once we have done our bit then Highways will come in and repair the alcove. This road could be fully closed for up to 12 hours and part closed for twice that while the barrier repair takes place. So I would avoid the area for the rest of the day and find another route. It isn't going to be a quick job.

meanwhile in other countries road would be open in 10 minutes!

meanwhile in other countries road would be open in 10 minutes!

So speaks the expert. You might want to explain how other countries get a road open any quicker with a 50ft,44ton unit and trailer, fully frieghted laying on its side across a motorway. I'm all ears.

So speaks the expert. You might want to explain how other countries get a road open any quicker with a 50ft,44ton unit and trailer, fully frieghted laying on its side across a motorway. I'm all ears.

I'm talking about general accidents in this country , we shut roads for ages making a right old meal of it. I am talking more about the investigation part

I'm talking about general accidents in this country , we shut roads for ages making a right old meal of it. I am talking more about the investigation part

The investigation part is incredible important as it reveals who or what is to blame, ie: human error, mechanical failure etc. A pain in the arse I agree to the average road user but the findings go back not just to the police for prosecution purposes but to manufactors to improve future vehicle build, the IVR [Institute of Vehicle Recovery] who use the data to improve recovery technics and to the emergency services who use it in training for future events. All this is a major pain to Joe Driver stuck in the tail-back but what is learnt from it might be the difference next time to saving someones life.

Now shut-up and go and enjoy the game. :smile:

Right, had to give up. I left work (based at the Uni in Hatfield, Herts) at 3.30, it was at a standstill in every direction - pick your traffic jam of choice... Because the original plan was to take the car home to Braintree, meet John then head down to the game, I headed onto the A414, as it gives me the option of option of carrying on to Chelmsford if necessary. It took an hour to get to Hertford (5 miles), and another hour to get to Harlow. Satnav was still predicting arrival at East Street at 7.50. It was bedlam out there, accidents happening everywhere in the jams, then it started bucketing down, so no chance of the roads miraculously clearing!

I was fed up that the game was swapped to Friday I the first place, cross that I needed to go to the office on a match day, as I try to work from home those days. The M25 has been appalling all week, it's always bad on Fridays anyhow, and 3 hours to go 25 miles, still be 30 miles from the ground and predicted to miss kick off - I'm now at home, in a very bad mood and with a monster headache. Not happy!!

On a very selfish note, I hope we lose and it's a crap game.... Knowing my luck, Freddie will get a hat trick and we will play the best football we have played in 5 years!!
:sad:

and most importantly, we must realise that all this is happening and apologise to taxi drivers for the traffic they may have encountered en route to us.

Back