• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mac or PC?

Napster

No ⭐
Tempted to get the Mac iMac G5, looks the business and has loads of good software. Or would it be cheaper to get a PC with same specs?

Any opinions?

I've never seen any real benefit of a Mac over a PC other than the Windows issue.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Dec. 23 2004,13:03)]Tempted to get the Mac iMac G5, looks the business and has loads of good software. Or would it be cheaper to get a PC with same specs?

Any opinions?
I don't think it makes any difference what pair of glasses you are wearing when you make the purchase.
wow.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Dec. 23 2004,19:38)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Dec. 23 2004,13:03)]Tempted to get the Mac iMac G5, looks the business and has loads of good software. Or would it be cheaper to get a PC with same specs?

Any opinions?
I don't think it makes any difference what pair of glasses you are wearing when you make the purchase.  
wow.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Personally I would go for the Mac, the OS is Unix based, so is hundreds times more stable then Windoze. Also for graphic/audio the mac is also the nuts. However if you are going to be a complete gamer then over here in the UK I would plump for the PC due to greater choice. On that note you can get PC emulators that allow you to run PC based programs.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ Dec. 23 2004,15:14)]I've never seen any real benefit of a Mac over a PC other than the Windows issue.
What issue is that?? The Mac uses a great stable OS/Gui and the PC's only hinderance is Windoze.

Quite a big disability if you ask me.
oops.gif

Exactly, Windoze is unstable and prone to hackers and virus' because it's what 98% (made up stat there) of people use.

However, I've never managed to get to grips with a Mac, too many years of using a PC and all the short-cuts. That combined with the greater choice of programmes on PC.

I'd go for the PC as it has such a wide-range of software to choose from.

Portability issues may arise if you do work on your Mac and then need to use the file on a PC.

[b said:

Any opinions?
However, following my earlier comment what are you planning on using the Mac or PC for?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Barmy Army @ Dec. 24 2004,08:11)]I'd go for the PC as it has such a wide-range of software to choose from.

Portability issues may arise if you do work on your Mac and then need to use the file on a PC.
My colleagues at work who own Macs never seem to have issues, especially as they all use Mac Office which unfortunately is something M$ excelled out when you consider the alternatives.

So unless you are using some strange bit of software and plan to use floppy disks to transport your files on then I am not sure this will be an issue.

As Dave mentioned above you really need to tell us what you plan to do. And for the record the next machine i am buying is going to be a Mac so i am not trying to sell you a lame duck.

It really depends on what you intend to use your computer for, how much you want to spend and to what degree you hate Microsoft.

Back