• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Machine Gun by Portishead

Generally a fan of Portishead. Not heard this one though. Should I not bother?

i read a review of it saying it was the musical equivalent of them saying "take this you f*ckers... try playing this over an advert to 'Skins'!!"

i like the machine gun song, but the other stuff i've heard isn't too good... it's a shame cos whilst i didn't want Dummy II, i've always liked Portishead

Heard it for the first time today, i like it, one of the most interesting and unique things i've heard this year.

on a vaguely similar note... hats off to The Brian Jonestown Massacre for probably the best song title this millennium:

"Bring Me the Head of Paul McCartney on Heather Mill’s Wooden Peg (Dropping Bombs on the White House)"

I wasn't sure about it at first, but its growing on me by the day. As is usually the way with good records. Instant hits are nearly always **** 6 months down the line.

However, the similarity to New Order's Blue Monday drum rhythm is very hard to overlook, especially when the 2 other new songs I've heard from the record sound like the more bleak Joy Division tracks complete with Hooks' basslines. Plus the outro instrumental really really REALLY reminds me of the theme tune from Terminator 2. Not a bad thing necessarily, but...

I'll give the album a spin though. It might be amazing, as lots of early reviews are claiming...

To be honest Beth Gibbons could sing the phone book over the noise of new born puppies being strangled and I'd still marvel at her voice - it is amazing.

After first listen though I have to say I hope it's a grower, as intially I'm not sure. However it's Portishead so I'll persevere....

Crap. May I recommend 'Sports', an essential album from Huey Lewis and the News

Back