• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Maddie McCann

Was leaving Maddie McCan and her siblings home alone a mistake or Neglect?

• Mistake

Votes: 18 22.8%
  • Neglect

Votes: 52 65.8%
  • Abstain/Unsure

Votes: 9 11.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

davewebbsbrain

Webby⭐
As myself and Napster have differing views on the Maddie saga, I would like to see who thought what % wise in a secret poll.

Simple, Do you think Maddie and her siblings being left alone was a mistake or neglect. I shall add an abstaining option for those unsure/unwilling to commit.

As myself and Napster have differing views on the Maddie saga, I would like to see who thought what % wise in a secret poll.

Simple, Do you think Maddie and her siblings being left alone was a mistake or neglect. I shall add an abstaining option for those unsure/unwilling to commit.

Oh no, I've run the chance of losing a popularity contest in a poll on an mid-table League One football side's unofficial fan's forum.

Dare I show my face in public ever again?

I thought you'd quit anyway?

Oh no, I've run the chance of losing a popularity contest in a poll on an mid-table League One football side's unofficial fan's forum.

Dare I show my face in public ever again?

I thought you'd quit anyway?

Nothing to do with me or you, just interested to see what peoples opinion is on this, no need to bite mate, I can't see what you are going on about and am sorry if this has caused you to act this way.

Nothing to do with me or you, just interested to see what peoples opinion is on this, no need to bite mate, I can't see what you are going on about and am sorry if this has caused you to act this way.

Fair enough. Sorry to be all angry - bloody work!

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

I realise it's an emotive subject, but I still don't see it as strictly either. They obviously did a kind of risk assessment otherwise they wouldn't have organised the half hourly checks, so for me it's not neglect but simply a poor judgement call. Not sure if that's classed as a mistake or not.

I realise it's an emotive subject, but I still don't see it as strictly either. They obviously did a kind of risk assessment otherwise they wouldn't have organised the half hourly checks, so for me it's not neglect but simply a poor judgement call. Not sure if that's classed as a mistake or not.

That's why I put the 3rd option!

Ah, shame you did that before I edited! That's the difficulty though, abstain implies a non-view and I do have a view, and that is that it was NOT neglect.

Gone for neglect as can't see myself ever leaving my daughter in an appartment on her own, in a forgeign country.

Its a mistake as well as I am sure the family at the end of the day didnt want this to happen and will regret it. Close call but more neglect than anything I guess.

Ah, shame you did that before I edited! That's the difficulty though, abstain implies a non-view and I do have a view, and that is that it was NOT neglect.

Just a thought.

A scenario:

A couple on benefits on a council estate leave their 3 young children home alone while they go down the pub. They do pop back every half hour to check on the kids. They come back one time to find one of their children has been taken. How will the public, press, you, react to that.

A child doesn't even need to be taken. If the police/council/Child protection got wind of this happening, would they put in down to a mistake or would the kids be whisked into care?

For me once is a mistake, but if as reported that they had done it a few times before then it becomes neglect.

Napster in agreement with OBL shocker.

(It'll never last)

Don't want to worry you but think that's the 3rd time actually! ;)

As I said, it's an emotive subject. What they did was incredibly stupid but this was a group of professional people and they reached their decision together. Under normal circumstances, I know full well I never checked my sleeping children at that age every half an hour so in theory they were being extra cautious.

In the same position, I know full well what I'd have wanted to happen and that is that one couple should have stayed back, splitting up if necessary and having the children in two villas/apartments or whatever so that they were under complete control and safe. On a holiday like that they could easily have taken it in turns to be the couple that missed out, and if it was imperative for them all to go out then I'm quite sure there was a baby sitting service of some sort.

Like I say, not neglect but still not really a mistake.

As I said, it's an emotive subject. What they did was incredibly stupid but this was a group of professional people and they reached their decision together. Under normal circumstances, I know full well I never checked my sleeping children at that age every half an hour so in theory they were being extra cautious.

In the same position, I know full well what I'd have wanted to happen and that is that one couple should have stayed back, splitting up if necessary and having the children in two villas/apartments or whatever so that they were under complete control and safe. On a holiday like that they could easily have taken it in turns to be the couple that missed out, and if it was imperative for them all to go out then I'm quite sure there was a baby sitting service of some sort.

Are you using social class to justify what they did? As I posted earlier, had they been dole spongers on a council estate, a lot of people's views including the press would have been far more negative and unforgiving.

Are you using social class to justify what they did? As I posted earlier, had they been dole spongers on a council estate, a lot of people's views including the press would have been far more negative and unforgiving.

looks that way, crazy isn't it!

in my opinion it could even make it worse, they knew the risks and still did it. it wasn't out of ignorance or stupidity and it definitely wasn't a mistake. they should have known better

I'm sorry Kay but what the **** has that got to do with anything?

No, no, not at all - but they were people who I would imagine would have weighed up the options and came up with what they obviously considered was a reasonable method of checking up. I admit that's guesswork though!

As to the analogy you gave earlier, unfortunately I just don't see it panning out like that. Here you have a couple, so therefore one or other would be continuously running back, in the McCann case there were considerably more adults to share the burden. Your council estate couple would either have just not bothered and got off their faces at home (and potentially been even less responsible!) or they wouldn't have bothered checking more than maybe once or twice.

There's been a few cases in recent years where parents have flown off on holiday leaving their children of various ages under 13 home alone. That is clearly neglect as that is a conscious decision to "abandon" the child. It's just not the same here.

I'm sorry Kay but what the **** has that got to do with anything?

sweet **** all, that comment has made be so ****ing angry, they should have known better if they are such clever people... how their class or social status can be used to justify leaving young children home alone is ****ing rediculous

I know full well I never checked my sleeping children at that age every half an hour so in theory they were being extra cautious.

I don't think anyone would deny they extra-cautiously left three children unattended to go out eating/drinking.

Selflessness beyond reproach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back