• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Maldon tonight

Hong Kong Blue

Am I right in thinking that Maldon is so backward it hasn't yet been reached by the railway?

I also take it that Blues World isn't broadcasting commentary (as there's no electricity to run their equipment off).

a touch harsh, old boy
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ July 26 2005,13:04)]Am I right in thinking that Maldon is so backward it hasn't yet been reached by the railway?
No...

It had been reached by the railway but the branch line was one of Dr Beechings casualties in the 60's (1963 I Think)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ July 26 2005,13:21)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ July 26 2005,13:04)]Am I right in thinking that Maldon is so backward it hasn't yet been reached by the railway?
No...

It had been reached by the railway but the branch line was one of Dr Beechings casualties in the 60's (1963 I Think)
I think it lasted a bit longer than that as i remember going there by train i am sure around 1980.

There are loads of sheep, but hurry you won't want an ugly one.

(puts on anorak)

Nope, Firestorm is about right, I actually think it closed in 1964 but it definitely didn't make it to 1980. Most of the Maldon bypass is built on it.

(removes anorak)

and Maldon's ground is a good walk from the centre of town too.

AC

Cheers all. Not only the answer to the question, but some history as well!

Sadly no bite from Hooly or any other Shrimpers living out in those neck of the woods. I must try harder.

ps Good luck for the forthcoming season Adrian

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Adrian C @ July 26 2005,15:04)](puts on anorak)

Nope, Firestorm is about right, I actually think it closed in 1964 but it definitely didn't make it to 1980. Most of the Maldon bypass is built on it.

(removes anorak)

and Maldon's ground is a good walk from the centre of town too.

AC
Will yield on that one, must have gone by bus. strange what the old memory does.

I know there is an office close to where the old station was as i have been in there. It is also a hike from the centre of town, but a few decent ale houses on the way.

[b said:
Sorry!  Both my heads were facing the wrong way!  Ok. you asked for it.  Trainspotting here I go!  Maldon actually had 2 station so Ner with bells on to you!  
biggrin.gif

The line to Witham from East Station closed in 1964, though the actual station building is still there.  Currently used as offices but has in the past been all sorts including a nightclub.

Maldon East & Heybridge station

Not much is left of West Station, apart from the old engine shed part of which now houses my friend John & his equally friendly Mighty Oak Brewery!

Maldon West station

The Maldon Town ground is on the outskirts, about a 15 minute walk from the middle of the High Street at the far end of the Promenade Park, which is currentlly being defaced due to a couple of years ago some East London $%&* diving into the 3 foot deep swimming lake (twice I might add!!) and banging his head.  It hurt the 1st time & killed him the 2nd! Thus the entire place is now being bastardized! No doubt he was a Wet Hamster!
mad.gif

Of shortly to meet Mr & Mrs GNH for a bit of pre match Ten-Pin action in the alley next to Maldon's ground!

Piers
Land of the two headed people!
Not posting on SZ. Doh!

He bites, he bites!

Enjoy the game and I look forward to your report tomorrow!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ July 26 2005,15:30)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ July 26 2005,13:21)]
[b said:
No...

I think it lasted a bit longer than that as i remember going there by train i am sure around 1980.

There are loads of sheep, but hurry you won't want an ugly one.
Definately not!

I lived in Maldon between 1969 and 1975 and the railway had gone by then ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hooly @ July 26 2005,16:34)]Promenade Park, which is currentlly being defaced due to a couple of years ago some East London $%&* diving into the 3 foot deep swimming lake (twice I might add!!) and banging his head. It hurt the 1st time & killed him the 2nd! Thus the entire place is now being bastardized! No doubt he was a Wet Hamster!
mad.gif
I do not want to spoil you rant against East London, but the guy who died from heart attack after hitting his head on a submerged post was actually from Southend. However he could have still supported the Hamsters, but then again he could easily be one of us.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (swfshrimper @ July 26 2005,14:24)]I shall be making my way to the back of beyond tonight anyone else thinking of going???
Wish I had! Kaunas v Liverpool was pants...

If you could give us a match report on your return to civilisation, it would be much appreciated

biggrin.gif

It was a dull game, we had a big black lanky trialist who was pants and very amusing to watch. Dunno who scored first goal but Bentley got the 2nd.

Maldon based website The Little Gazette can reveal it was indeed Keize Ibe who got the first goal!

btw, I believe the railway shut to passengers in 1964, and to freight in 1968!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimpboy @ July 27 2005,14:16)]Sounds like Bentley's goal last night was similar to the one he scored against Norwich?
rock.gif
Probably a similar distance from goal, but the angle he shot from was more head on. Top right corner aswell.

Back