• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DoDTS

The PL League Boss⭐⭐
For all you history freaks (yes both of you) here's a little recap of our first meeting with Mansfield over 80 years ago. Eight goals on Good Friday?

Saturday 7th November 1931
MANSFIELD TOWN 4-4 SOUTHEND UNITED

Mansfield had been applying for election to Division 3 (North) for some time and although getting close, couldn’t find that elusive place. They had been playing in the Midland League and despite it being generally agreed that the Southern section was stronger than the Northern section they decided to apply for the Southern section. They canvassed for months, especially the Northern Division 1 and 2 sides hoping that they would prefer another northern side in the league, the gamble paid off they finished behind Norwich but gained six more votes than Newport and gained entry to Division 3 (South) at the expense of Newport. This was the only time we visited Field Mill in the Kursaal era, no surprise they transferred to the Northern section the following season

The Southend team travelled up to London and stayed overnight at the Brighton Hall Hotel near St Pancras and then travelled on to Mansfield in the morning. Southend started the game at such a pace and with such brilliant football it was little surprise when they raced into a two goal lead, however the United relaxed and were quite shocked when the Blue Shirts of Mansfield scored twice to bring the scores level. The shock worked Southend again asserted their superiority and went into a 4-2 lead. The game appeared to be won , but United failed to add to the score and were as astounded as the home supporters when for a second time the Stags retrieved a two goal deficit to draw level Southend’s goals had come from Shankly and Crompton scoring two a piece. Mansfield although not off the same quality had four chances and took them well. Southend were fourteen games unbeaten and top of the league. Team: McKenna; French and Robinson; Dixon, Wilson and Donoven; Barnett, Jones, Shankly, Thomson and Crompton.

The Mansfield ground had a stand the length of the west Side since 1921 and in 1929 a small stand was built on the opposite side. Originally there had been no terraces but the first terracing was made of railway sleepers in 1930 and were still in use until the 1950s.

So Mansfield wanted to be in the North Division and not the South.

Conference North is currently the highest equivalent of a division split geographically. For this season both Lowestoft and Gloucester City are in the Northern Division - both are significantly further south than Nottinghamshire.

I'm not quite sure if that tells us anything about changes in the north south "divide" or not. :unsure:

My own "first meeting " with Mansfield would have been in 68/9 when we played them up North in the 4th round of the FACup.

Gary Moore hit the crossbar in the last minute and we lost 2-1.:'(

Eight goals in the first match and seven in the second, those were the days:

Saturday 19th March 1932
SOUTHEND UNITED 5-2 MANSFIELD TOWN

After sixteen away matches Mansfield had yet to win, managing just five draws, and they had lost their last three matches the latest being a 1-7 defeat at Reading. The first twenty minutes provided the best football of the match and during this time the Blues eased into a two goal lead, but this period ended with Shankly badly twisting his ankle leaving the field from which he did not return. The Blues despite the shortage of numbers continued to press forward and scored a third before half time. The second half saw Blues pressing again and they increased their lead to five goals, but were starting to get leg weary before the end and Mansfield retrieved two of the goals just before the end. The day however belonged to Les Clenshaw who had a game where nothing could go wrong and scored four of the five goals Pike getting the other. It was a capitol victory for a weakened side and the bad spell was now clearly over but did the Blues have enough time and stamina to catch the leaders. This fifth successive win saw Southend rise to fifth place in the league. Team; Whitelaw; Hatfield and Robinson; Dixon, Wilson and Donoven; Barnett, Jones, Shankly, Pike and Clenshaw

The most famous game must have been that cup game 68-9,i wanted to go,but my mum would not let me(like the Swindon game):angry:.Went to Mansfield town for a blues game 80-81!!!Joe & myself stood and watched the game,allowed to buy beer in the ground..Unfortunately,after drinking far too many "Mansfield ales",we got caught,1 hour after the game,walking out of the ground "taking" with us a couple of matchballs & some Mansfield town "old" players shirts...happy days..i think

Last edited:
I also remember going to Mansfield some time in the early 1990s in torrential rain. The journey then was train to Nottingham then bus to Mansfield (the train station was open then), from the time we got off the bus till the time got back on the bus it just threw it down. Absolutely no cover in the away end at the time, those were the days or perhaps not!

Back