• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Mark Molesley confident Southend United can score enough goals to survive

So all the ones around us won tonight....i suggest you try to score more than one free kick Mark.....don't really think it is in your DNA tbh!

I think his Weymouth teams scored plenty. 2 promotions in a row prove that, so I'd say it is in his DNA

Think his League 2 stats will disagree with that......not just goals but shots on target average is probably the worst in all 4 Leagues......not an attacking manager end of! Hence why he collects numerous defenders and midfielders that we rarely use!

MM has my full support but I have to say, whilst I admire your optimism Mark.. the stats to date tell a very different story. I’m not at all confident we’ll score the goals we need.

Me neither but MM has to say that whether he believes it or not. He has to try to boost the players' confidence, and be consistent in his message otherwise he undermines his own work. There's no point telling the players one thing and the press another...

MM has worked out he doesn't have the talent to do anything but hit the channels and hope for the best.

If he did, attempts on goal would be varied.

At this exact moment, and I'm talking minus those waiting in the wings, how many would you keep for next season if mission semi-impossible was achieved?

Elvis? Akinola? White? Clifford? Remember, there are loans, crocks and underachievers to be factored in.

Thats why we need an awful lot of luck.

Think his League 2 stats will disagree with that......not just goals but shots on target average is probably the worst in all 4 Leagues......not an attacking manager end of! Hence why he collects numerous defenders and midfielders that we rarely use!

He doesn't have and can't get the players he wants, that's not his fault, so of course he just had to do what he can. As CPM has said, he just needs to hit the channels and hope.

He had the players he wanted at Weymouth, hence why they did so well

We are pretty bad on the shooting front. Total shots amassed so far is 257. Only Scunny (253) and Grimsby (251) are below us.
The place we are really struggling though and are far behind the rest of the division is shots on target, just 69. That's 26.8% on target conversion. No other team in the division is below 30%
Might be time to employ a shoot on sight policy, can't exactly do much harm.

We are pretty bad on the shooting front. Total shots amassed so far is 257. Only Scunny (253) and Grimsby (251) are below us.
The place we are really struggling though and are far behind the rest of the division is shots on target, just 69. That's 26.8% on target conversion. No other team in the division is below 30%
Might be time to employ a shoot on sight policy, can't exactly do much harm.

Macca seems to have adopted such a policy already but he is the only one. If only ANG would do the same.

He doesn't have and can't get the players he wants, that's not his fault, so of course he just had to do what he can. As CPM has said, he just needs to hit the channels and hope.

He had the players he wanted at Weymouth, hence why they did so well

Why do we keep saying this? MM has signed 18 players, I've heard the wages a few are on (macca and Holmes to name a couple) and trust me, they ain't cheap.

Before embargo was lifted of course he wasn't backed, but when the embargo went Ron told MM that anyone he wants, he can have. Hence why he has made a total of 18 signings and even extended current players contracts. Believe me, MM has been backed.

Hit first time. End of. No second touch. No extra pass.
Forwards are used to being greedy, shooting on sight, and more often than not getting it on target. We don't have any of those so by and large we are asking wingers and midfielders to do something that does not come naturally (at least consistently)

Why do we keep saying this? MM has signed 18 players, I've heard the wages a few are on (macca and Holmes to name a couple) and trust me, they ain't cheap.

Before embargo was lifted of course he wasn't backed, but when the embargo went Ron told MM that anyone he wants, he can have. Hence why he has made a total of 18 signings and even extended current players contracts. Believe me, MM has been backed.
We made 18 signings but needed amongst all that a couple of forwards and got none. Were we too fussy? Who knows. We have Simpson training with us now and if MM is being honest he is impressing- if that were true surely he would be signed? Its all very bizarre.

Fair play but I doubt Nile Ranger was top of his wish list. Would love to know how many strikers he tried to get in. Bet a few knocked us back, it’s known at least one did.

Fair play but I doubt Nile Ranger was top of his wish list. Would love to know how many strikers he tried to get in. Bet a few knocked us back, it’s known at least one did.

This I do concede on. Some guys on here who are more informed than me, have said that a few strikers turned us down. I am also not sure where on the list Ranger came into play. Was he a Ron signing?...

But we don't seem to have any problem signing midfielders, I know that much.

I get what you are saying but how many of his signings were first choice signings?

Back