• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Mark Molesley still aiming to add to Southend United squad but feels current group is 'more than capable'

I think it comes down to what RM can afford to be honest. MM has to abide by RMs wishes

I agree the current squad is capable, but we still need a goal scorer - without someone, we are making things so much harder for ourselves. Our inability to convert chances has hurt us a lot, especially over the last few weeks, and it is the one area where we need to improve quickly to get out of the bottom two.

Why oh why did we let Theo slip through our hands? He is exactly what we need, and the chances of getting him back are zilch!

At 4am, getting Ranger back on a short term month by month deal doesn't seem to be a bad option. Unlikely, but desperate times and all that?

I am hopeful that MM can attract someone in, who needs a chance to prove himself and isnt expensive. If not, if he can help Goodship to find his shooting boots...

I agree the current squad is capable, but we still need a goal scorer - without someone, we are making things so much harder for ourselves. Our inability to convert chances has hurt us a lot, especially over the last few weeks, and it is the one area where we need to improve quickly to get out of the bottom two.

Why oh why did we let Theo slip through our hands? He is exactly what we need, and the chances of getting him back are zilch!

At 4am, getting Ranger back on a short term month by month deal doesn't seem to be a bad option. Unlikely, but desperate times and all that?

I am hopeful that MM can attract someone in, who needs a chance to prove himself and isnt expensive. If not, if he can help Goodship to find his shooting boots...

Sorry matte but by 4.30am that seems abad option. For those that don't know the full history do yourself a favour during lockdown. Look up the true Geordie podcast with Nile Ranger. He takes no responsibility for any of his numerous crimes, including beating his girlfriend and does not think he has to prove himself with trials or training before signing a contract.

He wouldn't be match fit until mid March and remember what you hear on the podcast isn't even half of it.

I ended up also watching the one with Kieron Dyer. Didnt think i would last 10 minutes but its actually top notch and a lesson for us fans.

This is indeed a squad capable of creating good chances. There is a place for Acquah if he plays as well as he did on Tuesday when he held up the ball well, played some good passes and was especially good at intimidating the Cambridge defence at corners and Halford's long throw ins; he played an important part in the goal scored. However he isn't going to score many goals and he needs a goalscorer to work off him. With Akinola, Reeco, Egbri and ANG we have swift ball players who can create chances but we can't convert those chances. We also need Mecca to improve his shooting by 200%........

We should go all out and sign a proper striker someone who can take there chances and is commanding.But I also think he sees acquah as our main future striker which is extremely worrying.

I know right , and there’s so many of them out of work and waiting to join us too.
Come on MM , sort this out.

We need 3 signings in my opinion.

Centre back. not sure what happened to joel lynch as I think he would be good back up signing till the end of the season.

Central midfielder but that depends on the situation with olayinka. I feel we would need cover in that department if macca or jd get injured or suspended, not like their shy 2 both.

Out and out striker should be at top of MM list. Clear to see we dont score many goals so another striker would be welcome addition.

That's should see us through to safety!

Striker must be the priority, maybe another goalscoring wide player or attacking midfielder too. We're lowest scorers in the league. If Akinola got injured we're stuffed. We're also highest conceded although things have tightened up massively since November.

Recruitment has been abysmal for about 4 years. I'm all for taking our time. We aren't going to be buying anyone so we only really have until the end of Jan if we want to bring someone in on loan. Free agents can be signed at any time (obviously you start to run out of games) - but I still feel it's an important one not to rush.

Recruitment has been abysmal for about 4 years. I'm all for taking our time. We aren't going to be buying anyone so we only really have until the end of Jan if we want to bring someone in on loan. Free agents can be signed at any time (obviously you start to run out of games) - but I still feel it's an important one not to rush.
Ollie Palmer on loan would be a good signing, just don't see us making it happen though

The squad MIGHT be almost complete if it was fully fit at the same time.

Olayinka would probably have played instead of Acquah on Tuesday, and K Taylor would almost certainly have started had he not been recovering from illness.

Macca and Demi are two players from the same stamp, stamp being the operative word, and that's going to cost us.

Dieng was anonymous, and we need White more than ever with Hobson and Halford far from a rock of Gibraltar at the back.
Going back to 'almost', we need a consistent centre back of the White variety as well as that elusive forward.

Before Christmas Akinola was our big hope and thankfully he hasn't let us down so far. He's got two goals in his first 7 football league starts (13 goals per season form) and that's just with his head. A bit more first team and L2 experience plus polishing up his shooting boots and he could be pushing 15 - 20 goals per season rate.

Back