• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mark Molesley

Wonder what happened to his entourage, who accompanied him down here?. When they all got sacked, that must have cost our club a lot of money?.
To think Darren Currie was desperate for the manager's job at Southend and Ron Martin decided instead to invest in Mark Molesley and his large backroom staff highlights the poor decision-making of the Chairman before Stan Collymore got involved.

To think Darren Currie was desperate for the manager's job at Southend and Ron Martin decided instead to invest in Mark Molesley and his large backroom staff highlights the poor decision-making of the Chairman before Stan Collymore got involved.
And he even got the job over current Lyon boss Fabio Grosso who bizarrely applied.

And he even got the job over current Lyon boss Fabio Grosso who bizarrely applied.

Molesley must have interviewed well then! At least he is doing well at Gosport. They are top of their division.

Fabio Grosso had been sacked from two jobs in 2019 and had been out of work for eight months before the Southend job came up. He was probably firing off applications to every available vacancy.

Maybe, just maybe it was destiny. Currie gets the job instead of Molesley. Does a decent job, keeps us in L2.

We never get Maher, Currie and Bentley. We don't get rid of Ron or all the rollercoaster rides we have been on

I know which option I prefer.

Molesley must have interviewed well then! At least he is doing well at Gosport. They are top of their division.

Fabio Grosso had been sacked from two jobs in 2019 and had been out of work for eight months before the Southend job came up. He was probably firing off applications to every available vacancy.
I don't think MM was actually manager of Gosport, rather Director of Football. He's now at Hayes and Yeading

Probably Harry R. recommended Mark Molesley to RM.

Maybe, just maybe it was destiny. Currie gets the job instead of Molesley. Does a decent job, keeps us in L2.

We never get Maher, Currie and Bentley. We don't get rid of Ron or all the rollercoaster rides we have been on

I know which option I prefer.

We were a complete mess in L2, it's more likely that we'd have gone down either way, and people would be thinking that Currie was useless because he couldn't perform a miracle.

Ah, good point! Hayes was where he began his playing career I see.
Hayes,Aldershot,Bournemouth,Weymouth…..highly significant that all these clubs have chosen to bring him back in a managerial capacity…..I’m not sure we will though….

Hayes,Aldershot,Bournemouth,Weymouth…..highly significant that all these clubs have chosen to bring him back in a managerial capacity…..I’m not sure we will though….
God forbid he ever darkens our doorstep again once in a lifetime is enough.

God forbid he ever darkens our doorstep again once in a lifetime is enough.

The level of disdain for a nice guy who was doing his best in near impossible circumstances is strange. We have a better team now than we did then, in both playing and managerial staff, but in my opinion Molesley really deserved rueful sympathy rather than bitter dislike. But each to their own. Let's just be pleased that we have such an excellent management team now.

Last edited:
The level of disdain for a nice guy who was doing his best in near impossible circumstances is strange. We have a better team now than we did then, in both playing and managerial staff, but in my opinion Molesley really deserved rueful sympathy rather than bitter dislike. But each to their own. Let's just be pleased that we have such an exvellent management team now.
I think the fact Redknapp recommended him maybe did for him from the start. Should we have employed him? Maybe not…but hardly his fault. Was a big opportunity for him. We will never know if he’d have kept us up (probably not but we might’ve beaten Col U).

I think the fact Redknapp recommended him maybe did for him from the start. Should we have employed him? Maybe not…but hardly his fault. Was a big opportunity for him. We will never know if he’d have kept us up (probably not but we might’ve beaten Col U).
I’m no fan of Redknapp but what did for Molesley was inheriting a historically **** squad under a transfer embargo and having a reduced pre-season after a 6 month lay-off.

People forget just how bad the squad he inherited was because we won the game before lockdown (against the team that then finished bottom). We won 4 (four!) league games that season and he lost some of the better players from that squad! Oh and he wasn’t able to replace them because of the embargo.

At least when Maher had to deal with a reduced pre-season he’d already reshaped the squad and been coaching them for a year.

Our form after the embargo was lifted would have kept us up comfortably if extrapolated to a full season but we couldn’t quite recover from a start of 2 points from 11 matches with an unfit squad under transfer embargo.

He was by no means the first and won’t be the last but Ron properly screwed him over.

I’m no fan of Redknapp but what did for Molesley was inheriting a historically **** squad under a transfer embargo and having a reduced pre-season after a 6 month lay-off.

People forget just how bad the squad he inherited was because we won the game before lockdown (against the team that then finished bottom). We won 4 (four!) league games that season and he lost some of the better players from that squad! Oh and he wasn’t able to replace them because of the embargo.

At least when Maher had to deal with a reduced pre-season he’d already reshaped the squad and been coaching them for a year.

Our form after the embargo was lifted would have kept us up comfortably if extrapolated to a full season but we couldn’t quite recover from a start of 2 points from 11 matches with an unfit squad under transfer embargo.

He was by no means the first and won’t be the last but Ron properly screwed him over.
It’s a daft question for you YB but would you have kept Molesley til the end of the season? I would’ve. I have to say of all the Ron **** ups, of which there were many, getting PB back was the ****ing worst.

It’s a daft question for you YB but would you have kept Molesley til the end of the season? I would’ve. I have to say of all the Ron **** ups, of which there were many, getting PB back was the ****ing worst.
Going out of the Football league felt quite fitting with Brown, his penchant for big name hobblers that cost us a fortune sitting around injured. Great post by YB above regards Molesely, wasnt given a chance by Ron, they never are when they sit in a transfer embargo.

Back