• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Mark Molesley's first press conference as Southend United boss

Ricey

I’m a Mod, that’s unpossible⭐⭐
Staff member
Southend United manager Mark Molesley says he’s looking to create a community feel around the club.

The new Blues boss was speaking on Friday afternoon when he met members from the gathered media, having taken his first day of training in the morning.

And Molesley offered further insight into the culture he wants to establish, not just for the team but for the fans as well.

He started, though, by outlining why he couldn’t turn Blues down.

"It’s a fresh start,” he said. "It’s a fantastic football club, that’s what attracted me to it, and I’m immensely proud to be standing here. It was too good an opportunity to say no to.”

Molesley added: "There’s no outlandish statements from me, all I know is me and my staff are going to work hard every day to improve this football club on and off the pitch.

"I think it’s a team effort, a family effort. That’s the way I’ve always worked in my previous clubs. Creating that family feel, that community feel.

"We’ve got to win the hearts and minds of everyone and understand that football is quite a demanding game.

"A lot of people have a lot of assumptions of different things, but Rome wasn’t built in a day and we’ve had a day on the training field today so we’ve already got to work.

"We’re one day into where we want to go.”

Ahead of the club’s first season back in Sky Bet League Two following five years in the third tier of English football, Molesley says that disappointment will be ‘fuel to the fire’ of his group of players.

"I think through peoples hardships you grow your mentality.

"This club has certainly been through it and the players have been through it, I’m sure they’ll come out stronger for it those challenges.

"We need to turn that mentality into a winning one by channeling that hardship and using it as fuel for the fire.

"It’s an exciting time to come to this football club to try and to do something special."

So what was everyone's opinion on Molesley's response to the question below then? To be expected he cleverly evaded the question to a large extent.
I'd love to know what has really been promised by Ron though!

Have you had any assurances about transfers and being able to strengthen the squad?

“The first step is to get in and assess the squad. I’ve been on the training pitch today to take training which was great. It’s what we enjoy and obviously what we’re here for.

"We’re going to enjoy working with this exciting young group. We’ll assess where we’re at and then put our assumptions to the powers that be and see where we go from there.

"We’re inheriting a very good young team but times have been hard in the last couple of years and there’s no hiding that. I think we can make some changes but we will be built on the training ground.

"We want to create an environment where the players will play the best they possibly can. To make that happen we need a culture and a good environment.

"For that we need strong foundations and to do that you have to expose some cracks. We have to try and improve things and that includes the environment. It’s not necessarily about changing the team up.

"We have to make this a place where the players can play the best they can.”

I thought it was a good response. It drives me mad that coverage of football in and around the Prem is just about transfers. I get why that is, but we can't think like that. At our level we need to cut our cloth accordingly. There are no easy answers at this level, we need to organise players, get a team together that don't look like strangers who met in the car park.
I get he doesn't want to commit on transfers, but it is a positive that he's thinking in terms of improving what he has rather than splashing the cash (just as well)

Definitely a good response. It seems clear that he knows the scope for signings is likely limited, and he doesn't know how hard he feels he needs to push that limit till he's had the time to size up the players and get a feel for where we are at.

On retrospect, the even better thing here is it looks like Ron has been more honest with him than recent managers in terms of what he can promise. Maybe he's been impressed with what seems like a very straight-talking guy and has reciprocated!

He knows the score.
I imagine the tax bill will remain unpaid until planning permission is given thus triggering new owners who come in and run things properly.

Think there's a quote from Molesley (not about us, from a while ago) where he said something like "...I'd rather spend money on software that will help to improve the players we have, than go out and buy a new player"

hope he's got all the license keys in his own name for all this fancy software.

Saying all the right things, he's not stupid im sure he's done his homework on our situation and been advised about rons empty promises. hopefully he is seeing it as THIS is the squad and i must get the best out of them, any signings and loans are a bonus. He's a million miles away from the man with the straw hat and thats good enough for me right now. If he gets all our team playing together at full potential we could shoot for a mid table finish, which quite frankly will be a result given the total ****e we've seen lately.

So what was everyone's opinion on Molesley's response to the question below then? To be expected he cleverly evaded the question to a large extent.

Have you had any assurances about transfers and being able to strengthen the squad?

“The first step is to get in and assess the squad. I’ve been on the training pitch today to take training which was great. It’s what we enjoy and obviously what we’re here for.

"We’re going to enjoy working with this exciting young group. We’ll assess where we’re at and then put our assumptions to the powers that be and see where we go from there.

"We’re inheriting a very good young team but times have been hard in the last couple of years and there’s no hiding that. I think we can make some changes but we will be built on the training ground.

"We want to create an environment where the players will play the best they possibly can. To make that happen we need a culture and a good environment.

"For that we need strong foundations and to do that you have to expose some cracks. We have to try and improve things and that includes the environment. It’s not necessarily about changing the team up.

Well he's clearly had media training. His press officer would have loved this.

I think we have to assume he's playing with what he has until something changes with FF

Think there's a quote from Molesley (not about us, from a while ago) where he said something like "...I'd rather spend money on software that will help to improve the players we have, than go out and buy a new player"

hope he's got all the license keys in his own name for all this fancy software.
Goodship 2.10 expected to be released mid September.

He has been with the Club for one day....why would he say he is looking to replace the team ?
Possible honest answers: 'The Club are skint especially after bringing me and my entourage in. We didn't come cheap you know! We cannot afford to sign anyone', or 'I saw the squad today and most of them are crap and non league players at best. I cannot wait to replace them'
He could only be expected to waffle in answer to the question and waffle he did. Of course he must be careful that his answer maintains the morale of the players he is now working with by emphasising they all will be given a chance to make it
This season is a changed landscape and I am guessing that even by mid September there might be some quite decent players still unsigned and available. I will be very surprised if we do not see one or two free transfers eventually coming in.
As the saying goes it is not just about signing good players but it is about signing the right players!
It is my understanding that we are under embargo because of a not unsubstantial sum owed to the tax man. Am I right in thinking that if this paid off the embargo will be lifted?
But I think I am right in thinking that if the monies owed to the tax man are not paid we will be wound up, and, therefore, not signing anyone.
My guess is that in the Football League this season there will less money around around and more players available, In the circumstances we can afford to be patient as it should be a buyer's market for some time yet. MM does not look the type to be rushed into anything, and, hopefully he will not be.

The most impressive thing so far is his no nonsense 1950's brylcreem boy haircut. Even has a nice demi wave... I'm sure I have seen him in some old SUFC team photos.

Yes he has to say the right things but none of that matters in the grand scheme. MnM will know more than most, when it comes to SUFC, there has been way to much talk and no result over the last 12 months.

He will be judged on results. I have every confidence that he will do everything possible to get those results. He has a real tough job, 101 major things to change and some harsh critics sitting very close in the East.

Lets give him and the boys our full support and remind yourself, they are not responsible for the crimes of Bond or Sol

Last but not least, its about time we had some luck go our way, from councils to injuries and some silly red cards. So best of luck to all associated with Southend United.....That includes us fans.

Last edited:
What I like most is that MM doesn't appear to be a moaner. Every Southend manager in its history will have had a long list of what's wrong with the club, the crappy situation they inherited etc. You are never going to change the club, you can't wait "three transfer windows" to get the right balance. It's nonsense. The imperfections come with the job. Get on with it. What you can do is put 11 players on the pitch who are fit, organised and competitive and who know how to win matches. I like his attitude.

I like how MM handles his self and am very optimistic about our future both on and off the field. One nagging problem I have though is the continued interest in Jack Bridge. This was going on before the new manager was announced and seems to be growing into looking like a realistic signing. Who is behind this as it’s obviously not the new manager. Hope there’s not unwelcome interference before the squad have been assessed!

I like how MM handles his self and am very optimistic about our future both on and off the field. One nagging problem I have though is the continued interest in Jack Bridge. This was going on before the new manager was announced and seems to be growing into looking like a realistic signing. Who is behind this as it’s obviously not the new manager. Hope there’s not unwelcome interference before the squad have been assessed!

Are you sure MM isn’t involved? I thought an earlier poster suggested he worked with him at Bournemouth and he might be very happy he is potentially available.

Back