• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Martians

BluePartridge

Manager
With the current loss of TWO probe thingys
biggrin.gif
to Mars methinks that something fishy is going on!
rock.gif

With the current loss of TWO probe thingys
biggrin.gif
to Mars methinks that something fishy is going on!
rock.gif

Not really. Looking into it, believe it or not man has been trying to land thingy's on Mars since 1960. I think it was Russia's 6th attempt before they got it right in 1971. It went dead after 2 minutes as it had landed in a dust storm. The British built Beagle 2 robot landed on Christmas Day 2003, but never broadcast any signals, and was missing. A suspected heavy landing was blamed, even tho it had an airbag and parachute. The air is much thinner, so things land heavier and sometimes with a few bounces. It was found intact by another probe in 2015. The most common thing in the past is loss of communication, rather than something has happened to a probe. A scientist said in parts it's like the Grand Canyon, only bigger. The Americans are finally getting the landings right. Mars is just rock. So a rock hard and sometimes very bumpy and undulating surface for any probe robot to wander around, and it's 33.9 Million miles away. So it's not surprising these things break down, or communication breaks down. They also have regular dust storms, with a giant one about every 10 years. The last giant dust storm covered the whole planet 2 years ago. Nasa sent back the first photo's from Mars with Viking 1 and Viking 2 in 1976. So lots have thingy's as you call them have landed on Mars, but due to various difficulties, over half have failed, with a lot gone missing. Some have been found by other probes, so they haven't been stolen by Martians or anything, they have just stopped communication, or just stopped working completely.

Never sure what tgd fascination in going to Mars is. Theres nothing there, just a big rock of nothing. There is much more interesting places to go, like the moons of Jupiter. Io ganemede and Europa look more likely to have life on them.

Never sure what tgd fascination in going to Mars is. Theres nothing there, just a big rock of nothing. There is much more interesting places to go, like the moons of Jupiter. Io ganemede and Europa look more likely to have life on them.

They are considerably further away as well.

I do find it fascinating, but yes, Mars was not meant for humans. The Billions spent could be doing so much more sorting out some of Earths problems. Also, I saw a documentary about Mars, and they said they have to be very careful with rock and dust samples from there, just in case they contain anything micro that could wipe out humans.

I do find it fascinating, but yes, Mars was not meant for humans. The Billions spent could be doing so much more sorting out some of Earths problems. Also, I saw a documentary about Mars, and they said they have to be very careful with rock and dust samples from there, just in case they contain anything micro that could wipe out humans.

Europa looks interesting as it covered ice,and its thought to have water melted under the ice. So there is high chance of life there.

One thing we can be almost sure of, is that on Mars there will still be plenty of sexy singles in the local area, just dying to talk to you.

This has reminded me of a client Zoom call that I had a few weeks ago.

One of the client participants was called Martin but for some reason the agenda had his first name listed as Martian.

He actually found it funny but there was a formal complaint from one of his colleagues who took offence, her name, perhaps unsurprisingly, was Karen!

Earth's problems are partially why we're so interested in Mars, it's not something we like to think about too much but if nuclear war ever happened there's a very good chance that it could lead to near-extinction of humanity. It's unlikely to happen in our lifetimes (or at least not on a large scale, we might be able to set up a base there in a few decades) but Mars theoretically could be colonised which would help let some part of humanity survive if something happened that did end up killing all of us on Earth.

Back