• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Martin Carruthers

danburyshrimper

Manager
Saw the film Marvellous last night - the film about Neil Baldwin who became Stoke City's kit man under Lou Macari. Brilliant film , i would very highly recommend it.... one funny scene was all about where on an away game at Tranmere , Carruthers ( who went on to score 26goals in 70 games for us ) was giving it the big'un about his new silky boxer shorts. During the match Baldwin sneaked back into the changing rooms , stole all of the the players boxers + put them on , then revealed to a very miffed Carruthers that his silky ones were the 1st ones on !!

I was a massive fan of Carruthers , not coz of his boxers , but his all action non stop displays for us . He was possibly the most tenacious Shrimpers forward ive ever seen + this was in an era when defending from the front was unheard of.

Also i smile when i recollect him ruffling the hair in patronising celebration of the hapless Barnet defender who had just scored an own goal .....which suddenly erupted into a 20 man brawl + i think Carruthers harshly got a red card for it.

ah , great days .....:clap:

one of my all time favourite players, I loved that man

One of my least favourite players of all time. Barry Big Bollocks to all the youth players and thought he was better than he was. I also recall a game where we needed a goal and there was a chance he could get to the ball to score but he really couldn't be bothered

Saw the film Marvellous last night - the film about Neil Baldwin who became Stoke City's kit man under Lou Macari. Brilliant film , i would very highly recommend it.... one funny scene was all about where on an away game at Tranmere , Carruthers ( who went on to score 26goals in 70 games for us ) was giving it the big'un about his new silky boxer shorts. During the match Baldwin sneaked back into the changing rooms , stole all of the the players boxers + put them on , then revealed to a very miffed Carruthers that his silky ones were the 1st ones on !!

I was a massive fan of Carruthers , not coz of his boxers , but his all action non stop displays for us . He was possibly the most tenacious Shrimpers forward ive ever seen + this was in an era when defending from the front was unheard of.

Also i smile when i recollect him ruffling the hair in patronising celebration of the hapless Barnet defender who had just scored an own goal .....which suddenly erupted into a 20 man brawl + i think Carruthers harshly got a red card for it.

Watching it for the second time as I write - great TV.

Im thinking Caruthers missed on the goal line when we really needed a goal at Barnet....or Brentfood. And didn't he get sent off after congratulating an own goal scorer at Barnet....or Brentwood. Prolific scorer for a season or 2 too.

I agree one of my favourites, he was there for my first season as a season ticket holder. We played Brighton first game of the season who had a young highly rated Bobby Zamora (George Burley then Ipswich manager came to watch him). We beat them 2-0 Carruthers scored and so did David Lee, the same score line was also the same at their place with the same scorers.

Does anyone remember the goal he scored where he broke the net?

He didn't break the net. The defender (Rochdale?) sliding in did.

You sure I remember it was a thunderbolt, don't think the net was on properly hence it breaking, but still a great strike.

One of my least favourite players of all time. Barry Big Bollocks to all the youth players and thought he was better than he was. I also recall a game where we needed a goal and there was a chance he could get to the ball to score but he really couldn't be bothered

i must of missed all of that.
he was amazing in his first season then fairly poor in his second before having to be sold

One of my least favourite players of all time. Barry Big Bollocks to all the youth players and thought he was better than he was. I also recall a game where we needed a goal and there was a chance he could get the ball to score but he really couldn't be bothered

I dare say you're right with regards to him being a prat in real life, but as a player he was great for us. The possibility of Carruthers scoring was about the only reason to go to games in the late 90's, the rest of the team really was that bad! Helps me to put into perspective todays sides inadequacies, I'm guessing those saying things can't get any worse didn't witness the Martin/Little era (or have short memories).

I dare say you're right with regards to him being a prat in real life, but as a player he was great for us. The possibility of Carruthers scoring was about the only reason to go to games in the late 90's, the rest of the team really was that bad! Helps me to put into perspective todays sides inadequacies, I'm guessing those saying things can't get any worse didn't witness the Martin/Little era (or have short memories).

Those days were my first as a season ticket holder and they were torrid times. The problem is the success we had under Tilson once you have that you expect it all the time. Look at clubs like Leeds and Forest they think they have a deserved right to be in the premiership.

Watching it for the second time as I write - great TV.

Im thinking Caruthers missed on the goal line when we really needed a goal at Barnet....or Brentfood. And didn't he get sent off after congratulating an own goal scorer at Barnet....or Brentwood. Prolific scorer for a season or 2 too.
Away at Barnet. I thought the opponent who scored the og went off as well. Leo got off the bench and followed him down the tunnel.
Was that the Prudoe subbed at HT game ?

Back