• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

dan_mays

Coach
Matt Paterson come on as a sub in the 62nd minute for Forest Green today and in the 66th minute was sent off for a dangerous lunge on a Mansfield player.

What a way to impress your new club

Had a quick look at their board last night, needless to say their fans aren't impressed!
Not the brightest move by him. Studs up challenge I believe.

just don't get the whole Paterson saga - Sturruck doesn't want him so bloody well release him rather than drain the last drips of confidence the lad may still have - don't agree with the way we are treating this young lad.

I agree, but, maybe we can't afford to release him as any 'sell on' fee might be cancelled?

just don't get the whole Paterson saga - Sturruck doesn't want him so bloody well release him rather than drain the last drips of confidence the lad may still have - don't agree with the way we are treating this young lad.

The club desperately want shot of him and his massive drain on resources but have you ever thought we just can't afford to 'bloody well release him'?

I agree, but, maybe we can't afford to release him as any 'sell on' fee might be cancelled?

how much exactly are we hoping to get for a player we never play? if we think he is going to make us money then someone at the club must think he can play a bit. seems a bit odd to loan him out to non league and even worse, scottish football.
No sorry, the way he is being treated is wrong in my book - the idiot we got from Motherwell was left in the cold and rightly so but Paterson to my knowledge has done nothing wrong - this must be a utterly miserable time for him.

We will never sell Paterson as no one wants to pay his wage demands. Not even we do but unfortunately it's something we're tied to for another 5-6 months.

The player is quite happy doing next to nothing and getting paid for it. Which sums up everything that is wrong with the modern day footballer.

He will be released in the summer and it will be very interesting to see where his career goes.

I do feel a bit sorry for Paterson. I didn't think he was a bad player when he was playing and he seems to have been outcast for largely financial reasons. I'm not a financial expert but as Shrimpers are Magic says, wouldn't it have been cheaper to have cancelled his contract as soon as the club decided they didn't want him rather than keep him waiting around and sending him out on loan to whichever club will have him until his contract runs out or someone takes him off our hands? If we're going to keep employing him and paying him then why not play him? Unless something else has gone on, but we don't really know what he's been doing for the last year.

I'm sure the club would let him leave for zero if he were to forgoe his wages

Yeah sounds like a great deal, reckon he would be well up for that :)

Id suggest we just pay his contract but as pointed out to me earlier, we dont have the cash to do so.

We will never sell Paterson as no one wants to pay his wage demands. Not even we do but unfortunately it's something we're tied to for another 5-6 months.

The player is quite happy doing next to nothing and getting paid for it. Which sums up everything that is wrong with the modern day footballer.

He will be released in the summer and it will be very interesting to see where his career goes.

okay I don't know the bloke so have no knowledge either way but how do you know he is happy with what is going on ?
as for his wage demands - he signed a contract offered by the club - he didn't hold anyone to ransom - what would you have done in the same position?

okay I don't know the bloke so have no knowledge either way but how do you know he is happy with what is going on ?
as for his wage demands - he signed a contract offered by the club - he didn't hold anyone to ransom - what would you have done in the same position?

I don't blame him for signing it. I'm around the same age as Paterson so I would have snapped it up too.

Matt wasn't to know our financial problems so you have to look at the person(s) who offered him such a contract.

I agree with what you're saying but simple thing is we would why play him if he's not good enough. Even if he was still here and available he wouldn't be getting much game time as he obviously just isn't a Sturrock player, obviously the wages are an issue but i highly doubt he has ever been seen as potentially a key player by Luggy. Best for the lad to move on and try and resurrect his career as if he bulks out a bit he could easily be a decent league player.

I'd still be tempted to give him one or two subs appearances again 'lesser' opposition. if he does quite well then someone is bound to notice and they may pay a nominal fee for him. Then everyone's happy.

He'd have signed it as we all would have done. That doesn't change the point though - if he wants out then he should settle on his contract. If he wants to stick his heels in and get every penny that he is entitled to (which is what I'd probably do in that position) then fair play to him but if the Club think they can save 25% of his wages or however much Forest Green and Hamilton have been contributing then that's the financially prudent thing for them to do.

Back