• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Supporters Group News Meeting 6/2/23 Zoom Call Recording

Good to hear re the ST board.

Not a Trust point per se but it does feel that as a club we are missing a trick by not engaging with ethnic communities. Perhaps worth picking up if/when we still have a club.
Fair point. I would question though what percentage amongst our fan base this would represent.

We do have the Proud Shrimpers group which represents those from the LGBTQ backgrounds, and we have done things with the Junior Blues in the past with a little lad from an Asian background, Ibrahim, I seem to remember his Dad was on here once upon a time.

My own grandchildren are involved with the JBs, as you'd expect - and their father is of a Jamaican background, but I honestly don't think we have many who are from Indian or Pakistani backgrounds, for instance, much less from the Middle East.

2004 to be precise.

We'll step away if it's what everyone wants. Personally i have a couple of young kids, one of whom has a health condition, and if I'm going to get heat for being part of this, I will happily not bother. If I really get the itch I and get frustrated about what's going on, I can always join the Trust board, like any other fan could.

As I mentioned, these supporter groups haven't sprung up overnight. We've sat through many a turgid night at the Hall talking about boring but necessary stuff to help supporters, in liaison group meetings back in those days before Covid which seem such a long time ago. This stuff has evolved, not necessarily to what the people involved back then would have wanted, to what we have now.

I personally have felt uncomfortable at times since this stuff got so big during Covid and since. However, we do feel as the only magazine by the fans for the fans, there are arguments for our place at any table where supporters are represented.

We have a loyal readership of about 300, many of whom are older and don't use the online forums as much, who we try and keep informed.

I’m not asking anyone to step away from it at all.

It just seems, for a Club of our size, we have an awful lot of “supporters groups” something I remember Stan mentioning before.

Didn’t realise AAS had been around that long, knew it had been a fair while, and you guys do a terrific job, and I like a lot of the stuff you post.

However, some of these supporter groups have sprung up overnight. The Custard Splat Podcast hadn’t been going for long, and was receiving negative reviews in the early days, before it was invited on one of the lockdown zoom calls. The protest group have literally sprung up overnight too.

As mentioned since, we don’t seem to have many “different” supporter demographics covered by all of these supporter groups.

Most Clubs have an “official” supporters group, which ours is the Trust. I know they aren’t everyone’s cup of tea, which is fair enough. We have the disability and LGBTQ supporter group. The likes of SZ, Custard Splat & AAS cover a lot of the same bases.

I’ve never listened to The Custard Splat, so I can’t comment on that, but SZ & AAS do terrific jobs, and the people behind them do too so this isn’t meant to be a dig at these people.

Personally, I think the supporter groups bit is a bit of red herring. It’s about trying to get the best possible representation of the fan base, that’s why I think the addition of Harry (Simply Shrimpers) and Southend Fan Updates/Protest group and possibly D1versity in the future improve that representation, regardless if I agree with some stances or not. If people want to get involved, I’m sure these “groups” would be delighted to accept help as has been stated on this call.

Thank you everyone on this call for giving up your time, for our interests, with very little thanks. I know the stress very close to home it all can bring.

And in regards to @Jai , I find him as one of the most valuable in this group, balanced opinions across the board and willing to consider other options not just now, but before everything got this bad. For sure an asset to the supporters group. That being said If you ever wanted to join the Trust board I’m sure that would be welcomed . 👀
Group responsible for filming themselves questioning Stan in a confrontational manner and slagging off the Trust…sure add them to the “supporters” groups! Can’t make this stuff up.

Group responsible for filming themselves questioning Stan in a confrontational manner and slagging off the Trust…sure add them to the “supporters” groups! Can’t make this stuff up.
I don’t agree with them the majority of the time, that doesn’t mean their views don’t count and shouldn’t be discussed. They are part of the fanbase and have the right to their opinion and excluding them just worsens the situation in my opinion, creating more of a divide.

I don’t agree with them the majority of the time, that doesn’t mean their views don’t count and shouldn’t be discussed. They are part of the fanbase and have the right to their opinion and excluding them just worsens the situation in my opinion, creating more of a divide.
Can’t disagree with you that differing opinions are needed. I just don’t see who, other than the Trust, genuinely has a mandate to represent those differing opinions. Just my opinion though (representative fan population of 1).

Is there another supporters group meeting tonight? if so, assume wont be broadcast live for fans to watch? if not, will be recorded as before. Really think it should be available for all to see even if only certain people are able to talk etc.

With Ron meeting the players today and wages still not paid think the wider fan base should be able to see what is being discussed. As a trust member i feel that i should be able to see what is being proposed and discussed etc

It is available for all to see. Once its been recorded. Best to not have a free for all zoom call.
i didnt mean a free for all to talk. Im happy with representatives from the groups but why cant we all sit in and listen/watch etc? We are weeks away from losing our club. What the issue with all being able to watch even if not all can talk. Just dont see why that isnt an option

Is it me if watching these videos with all the different supporter groups feels like there is a divide and a ranking of who’s more important than who. Felt abit uncomfortable to watch but was interesting with the different demographic of supporters we have. Also I’m surprised the trust haven’t started a podcast in all the years they have existed. It would be a lot better than these videos. We need everyone to get on board with the trust as a whole and become as one.

My only comment really does concern the number of separate groups. Should the worst happen, how on earth is a Phoenix Club going to be formed ? Won't happen in time for next season for sure.

The Club needs one voice not 9 or more.

My only comment really does concern the number of separate groups. Should the worst happen, how on earth is a Phoenix Club going to be formed ? Won't happen in time for next season for sure.

The Club needs one voice not 9 or more.
IMO The organisation that leads any Phoenix Club should be the Shrimpers Trust, as the body that represents all Southend United supporters. I co-edit AAS but am also a Trust member, as I suspect are several of the other people who run supporter initiatives.

Is it me if watching these videos with all the different supporter groups feels like there is a divide and a ranking of who’s more important than who. Felt abit uncomfortable to watch but was interesting with the different demographic of supporters we have. Also I’m surprised the trust haven’t started a podcast in all the years they have existed. It would be a lot better than these videos. We need everyone to get on board with the trust as a whole and become as one.

Good point on the podcast. Something I've suggested and offered assistance with in the past.

Good point on the podcast. Something I've suggested and offered assistance with in the past.
To be fair, the difficulty for the Trust with content creation is they get accused of being too close to the club (Ron) so would struggle to get buy-in from users.

It's a similar scepticism when a bookie recommends a tip to its customer base. It often needs to seen as more independent to be valued.

I would be happy to host it for then as a life member and ex committee member, but me or anybody else it’s down to them.
I have been very critical of the trusts communication in the past because it’s that communication that is the core of all of this.
It has got better over the years but I would say there is more to do

To be fair, the difficulty for the Trust with content creation is they get accused of being too close to the club (Ron) so would struggle to get buy-in from users.

It's a similar scepticism when a bookie recommends a tip to its customer base. It often needs to seen as more independent to be valued.

I totally get your point and do agree but I think there is space for the trust to explore other communication avenues.

Back