• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Memories of SHSB/WHSB

barton west

Striker
I went to school with George (I think he may have been in the same year as @Napster ), and as much as I am glad of anyone with some serious coin being willing to put it into SUFC, he was a loathsome little oik as a child. Just shows what can be achieved when your father's a prominent MP I suppose.
As an unwilling occupant of the Westcliff Grammar School Concentration Camp, we regarded all members of Southend Grammar School as “loathsome little oiks “

Couldn’t have put it better myself!
Interestingly in 1983, many people who had SHSB as their first choice ended up at Westcliff, but nobody who had WHSB as their first choice ended up at Southend. I believe that may have changed now, but we were certainly top dogs then. And we played football, not ****ing rugby.

Interestingly in 1983, many people who had SHSB as their first choice ended up at Westcliff, but nobody who had WHSB as their first choice ended up at Southend. I believe that may have changed now, but we were certainly top dogs then. And we played football, not ****ing rugby.
I was one of a number of rebels who absolutely refused to play rugby. We simply didn’t fancy facing a horde (fifteen) of heathens bearing down on us trying to kill us. The rebellion spread and the Camp was forced to introduce hockey, which, though a poor substitute for football, I was happy to play. My ankles are still bruised.

I actually wanted to go to SHSB but was overruled by my parents… Not sure why. WHSB was a bit of a concentration camp so it made us feel marginally better to diss the green-wearing kids from down the road to distract from our own misery.

He left in 1992 I believe. I was at SHSB also - a year below him
His sister was in the same year as mine at SHSG.
John, the older brother, was my contemporary. He went into the Army Air Corps I believe, and was a decent chap. And George may well have been, but he was saddled with little brother of a mate syndrome for me so had to be mercilessly picked on.

Maybe he was 2 years above then. I left in 94.
Did you ever have Gary Cornall as a teacher? Taught Economics and Politics.
I saw him often in the East Stand bar at half time but haven’t seen him for the last couple of years.
Think he may have retired so not sure if he left the area. Or stopped going as it was dire - always that possibility!

I saw him often in the East Stand bar at half time but haven’t seen him for the last couple of years.
Think he may have retired so not sure if he left the area. Or stopped going as it was dire - always that possibility!
As a West Stander, I didn't see Gary there, but I did used to chat with Alastair Sutherland who was a fixture in the West when I was going there with my Dad from the mid-90s onwards. Saw that he sadly passed away at only 57 a few years back.

Yeah Gaz was my teacher for economics. Haven’t seen him for ages.

As a West Stander, I didn't see Gary there, but I did used to chat with Alastair Sutherland who was a fixture in the West when I was going there with my Dad from the mid-90s onwards. Saw that he sadly passed away at only 57 a few years back.
I’ve seen Adrian Cartwright (English teacher, petrol head) in the West a few times. He taught me (I left SHSB in 86) and my son (who left in 2014)!

I’ve seen Adrian Cartwright (English teacher, petrol head) in the West a few times. He taught me (I left SHSB in 86) and my son (who left in 2014)!
Yeah I had Adrian for English up to O Level. Was blessed with Bully and Maurice Reeve for A Level. As I recall, Adrian was very tight with Martin Stansfield, but I don't think he was a football chap.

I was one of a number of rebels who absolutely refused to play rugby. We simply didn’t fancy facing a horde (fifteen) of heathens bearing down on us trying to kill us. The rebellion spread and the Camp was forced to introduce hockey, which, though a poor substitute for football, I was happy to play. My ankles are still bruised.
They made us play hockey when I was there, and I HATE hockey with a passion!

And it's all your fault?

From Hell's heart I stab at thee!

And I don't think that's an over-reaction at all. ;)

They made us play hockey when I was there, and I HATE hockey with a passion!

And it's all your fault?

From Hell's heart I stab at thee!

And I don't think that's an over-reaction at all. ;)
Was at SHSB in the early 70's. Our metalwork teacher was, as I recall, an England International at Hockey. He got sent off on one occasion - made us so proud!! 🏑

We also had an unofficial rugby team for a year or two, practising at lunchtime and still beat WHSB with a makeshift team (not me - I wasn't good enough to get in the team).🏉

Was at SHSB in the early 70's. Our metalwork teacher was, as I recall, an England International at Hockey. He got sent off on one occasion - made us so proud!! 🏑

We also had an unofficial rugby team for a year or two, practising at lunchtime and still beat WHSB with a makeshift team (not me - I wasn't good enough to get in the team).🏉
Mr Brooking was desperate for us to play rugby - couldn’t stand the sport. Mr Strickland was the hockey enthusiast.

Just been reading all of this. I was at Chalkwell Primary and about 40 of the 46 in the top stream passed their 11 plus and only 4 of the boys went to Southend High and that included me. Didn't want to play rugby. One of the other boys was Andrew Douglas the younger brother of Graeme who went on to play with the Kursaal Flyers and Eddie and the Hot Rods

Just been reading all of this. I was at Chalkwell Primary and about 40 of the 46 in the top stream passed their 11 plus and only 4 of the boys went to Southend High and that included me. Didn't want to play rugby. One of the other boys was Andrew Douglas the younger brother of Graeme who went on to play with the Kursaal Flyers and Eddie and the Hot Rods
My folks got me into Westleigh Juniors when we moved from Colchester Rd even though we lived a lot closer to Blenheim School. We had 8 lads go to SHSB and 20 go to Westcliff. I really don't know why I still remember those numbers.

Back