• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Midfield Goals Tally

Hawkwell Blue - sorry but I thought you were having a sarcastic dig at Che. The truth is I think Che, and Juppy, are sometimes criticised when they don't deserve it - they have both been a part of a really good back four this season - I remember only too well how we missed Che big time at Oxford.
I am sure that Che would probably prefer to play at right back but it's great to have a left back who can actually play with both feet. I was talking to Adam Barrett about 2 weeks ago and he told me that he prefers playing with Che on his left rather than anyone else because he knows that Che will always cover him when he pushes forward and that Che always manages to slow down the opposition when they are on a break which allows Adam and Spinner to get back into position. If it's good enough for Adam it's good enough for me.
And since Lewis was injured Juppy has come back and hasn't let anyone down.
Both players performances are always dependant on who is playing in front of them and it would be very interesting to ask them both who they prefer to play behind.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (blueheaven @ May 10 2005,10:09)]it would be very interesting to ask them both who they prefer to play behind.
i'd like to play behind kylie minogue
upside.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (blueheaven @ May 10 2005,08:32)]Hawkwell Blue - I have watched Drury a number of times at Norwich this season both live and on the television and I would much rather have Che in my team than Drury - at least Che has courage and can defend, which at the end of the day, is what a full back is supposed to do.
From what I've seen, he always seems like a bit of a nasty piece of work. I'm sure he's been sent off, booked or should have been one of the two every time I've seen him.

That said, this sort of tough tackling attitude means that you have to completely beat him to get past him. He also has quite a lot more pace than Che and has a decent shot I believe.

Are we seriously comparing Super Cheese with a Premier$hite fullback! Sweet.

Just been reading through some of the other posts at the start of this:

a) Surely Maher and Pettefer have one each, not one between them.
b) With regards to fbm's point about new players, I'd say we definitely need more pace in the midfield somewhere. Someone to draw defenders out of position would create soace for Eastwood to use.
c) Also regarding fbm's points, I think the only reason so much goes through Maher is that Gower has been off form lately. Admittedly, two outlets for every single attack isn't good enough though. I think Guttridge should be able to help in this area.
d) Che's looked a lot better this season and seems to be rated by most of his old clubs. I wouldn't want to get a new player in and force him (or Lewis Hunt) out of the first team when they've both had good seasons.

Sufcintheprem - Are you talking about the same Adam Drury who plays for Norwich ? He is undoubtably the worst full back in the prem and is the main reason for their defence shipping so many goals this season. He has certainly got pace but his tackling is dreadful - in actual fact he tends to run alongside the action all the time rather than being involved in any actual physical contact - and that opinion is shared by many many Norwich fans.

And I forgot to say that he is so one-footed he might as well have his right leg amputated.

We need an attacking midfielder that can score.
Obvious i know but the only one who gets in front of the forwards is Bentley, and a natural goalscorer he isn't.
He will get his fair share through hard work,maybe Guttridge can be the answer.

I think a lot of the points being raised here (Needed a new attacking midfielder, more goals from midfield etc) would be solved by a fully fit and on form Jay Smith. The good thing is though, I'm sure not many of us would put him straight back into the side. I know I wouldn't. Beno has been outstanding this season, a real box to box player and a genuie driving force. He has chipped in with a few goals but has missed costly chances (Orient, Scunny, Grimsby).

Maher doesn't add to his cost of the side with goals. He is the heart beat of the side and plays a similiar role to Makelele of Chelsea (Who only scored this season with a rebound from his own poor penalty). We all know his strengths and weaknesses so I don't wanna start another Maher arguement.

Petts is the only ever present for us this season. If Tilly is happy with him then thats good enough for me. Isn't an out and out winger, more of a grafter, but every succesful side has a grafter in there, not always out wide though.

Gower has been woefully off form this season but we all know what he can do, so I wont bother covering him.

Juppy has done well since regaining his place in the side. Was the best right back we'd had in years until Hunt switched to right back. Provides an attacking outlet out wide and although his passing and crossing is usually hit and miss, if its a hit its normally class and probably has a few assists to his name or assist of assist ala Shrewsbury in the snow.

Che is easily the most improved player in the squad and has been a revelation at left back although he needs to, sometimes, provide the same attacking outlet as Jupp but can be counted on as being back and covers Barrett's spectacular runs.

In short, we need (IMHO):

1) A winger that beats his man and hits the byline. Someone in the mould of Liam Lawrence, Josh Low or the right winger at Bouremouth (Can't remember his name).

2) A fourth striker, assuming Tes is off. Someone that can be counted on to score when coming off the bench or a genuie presence upfront that we can hit with the long ball.

Apart from that I feel we have easily the best squad left in the division, and one that wouldn't look out of place in League One. All you need to do is look at the competition for the two central midfield slots, Maher, Beno, Guttridge, Smith, McCourmack.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (blueheaven @ May 10 2005,13:23)]Sufcintheprem - Are you talking about the same Adam Drury who plays for Norwich ? He is undoubtably the worst full back in the prem and is the main reason for their defence shipping so many goals this season. He has certainly got pace but his tackling is dreadful - in actual fact he tends to run alongside the action all the time rather than being involved in any actual physical contact - and that opinion is shared by many many Norwich fans.
Of course, you're right, Che must be much better than Drury.

Not sure if you realised how split the jury is on Che at Southend let alone in the Premier$hite. Ok, so even if he's the worst full back in the prem, he's a week-in week-out player in the Prem. Worthington's not an idiot. He must be doing something right to win the league last year and maintain his place this year.

The jury seems to be split on almost every single player at Southend.
Drury is just a mirror image of Worthington himself when he was a player - one footed and very very ordinary - thats why Worthington signed him.

Back