• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Apparently unable to figure in PB's plans so mutual termination of contract.

Just hope it doesn't happen as usual and come back and bite us in the rear end.... :winking:

Other than Kightly not really sure that has happened too often. Good luck to Mitch anyway, maybe he will end up with Alex Woodyard over Concord.

That's two in a week, following Auger's departure.

Having signed Elliot Brown and Isaac Layne over the summer Jason Williams is all but gone before the ink has even dried on his contract as well.

just in case he comes back to haunt us...

WE SHOULD NEVER HAVE LET HIM GO. HE'S CLEARLY THE NEXT KIGHTLY, MESSI, PELE...

What a shame. He came on as sub in a couple of games the season before last and really looked the part. Thought that Mitch had every chance of a decent career with us but for whatever reason it just has not happened for him and PB has now terminated his contract. The kid undoubtedly has talent and know he trialled for Millwall in pre season, so hopefully he'll be picked up by someone soon.

Good luck Mitch and all the best.

I think that this is a real shame. Seems to be that there's not much point being a youth teamer at a L2 club. The manager is not really afforded enough time to bring develop the youngsters

I think that this is a real shame. Seems to be that there's not much point being a youth teamer at a L2 club. The manager is not really afforded enough time to bring develop the youngsters

Sure Dan Bentley and Kane Ferdinand might say otherwise.

flipping heck, some of the comments here are baffling.

Yes it's a shame that he didn't turn into a quality player but saying we should just sack in our youth policy is madness. Brown has had over a year to watch him train and develop and he's not reached the level that he and the club were hoping. we could have continued to pay his wages and he could have continued to get games on loan, but it was probably better for everyone concerned to take the deal we offered him to terminate his contract and find a club where he get games.

we're a small club and sadly we need to be short-termist. It'd be great if we could keep lots of promising youngsters but we can't. we need to sign players who will contribute to this season and we've also taken on a couple of younger players who Brown obviously rates.

Good luck to him (Mitch).

Not sure what the reason is for a number of players not "making the grade" or perhaps some would say not getting the opportunities .......... but I partly blame the loan system.

Oh yes, time to bang that old drum .......... an injury (or suspension) comes along and a developing player thinks "wow, perhaps this is the opportunity I need" and before he can say "heh Browny, look at me" another player from a higher league club has arrived and is pulling on the club shirt for a month or two.

Not sure what the reason is for a number of players not "making the grade" or perhaps some would say not getting the opportunities .......... but I partly blame the loan system.

Oh yes, time to bang that old drum .......... an injury (or suspension) comes along and a developing player thinks "wow, perhaps this is the opportunity I need" and before he can say "heh Browny, look at me" another player from a higher league club has arrived and is pulling on the club shirt for a month or two.

Fully agree to be honest. When John White got injured Ryan Auger got one game and then in came Luke O'Neill. Mind you no one can doubt the loan player had vastly superior ability but we'll never really know how good Auger could have been.

I suppose if you're good enough you'd get noticed though and get your chance somewhere if not with us.

From a purely financial viewpoint, I'd be interested to know how the figures stack up regarding the whole youth system at the club. No doubt it costs a lot to have a youth policy, and at a club like ours you can't afford any passengers, i.e. it has to be profitable or theres no point. The ways it makes money are by producing players that can either enhance the first team, by being better than other players we can pick up for free (of which there are many), and go on to be sold for a considerable sum. Or be sold for a decent amount while still in the youth systems to bigger clubs own youth systems. we don't know how much these lads go for (Ngoo & De La Verde or however they're spelt) but I doubt its much more than £20k / £30k possibly with sell-ons. And how many have made it into the first team since we've been back in L2 to be anything more than bit-part squad players? Bentley, and, er.. Most of the lads who do 'come through' get a one year deal, a few minutes on the pitch, and are then let go to end up in non-league. I don't like the thought of not having a youth policy, but when you're as skint as we are its hard to see how its financially viable given the lack of truly first-team capable players it produces. Anyway, I'll try and cheer up now!

That's two in a week, following Auger's departure.

Having signed Elliot Brown and Isaac Layne over the summer Jason Williams is all but gone before the ink has even dried on his contract as well.

Auger didn't even have a contract with us for the last few months, we just decided not to give him a contract.

perhaps our expectations of youth team products are too high. I'm sure Ricky Ducan said a while back he would be happy if one a year made the grade.

This is the same situation at Prem level - Chelsea - for example - spend £30 million on a player and therefore stop a youngster breaking through - maybe another English player not playing at the top level.

perhaps our expectations of youth team products are too high. I'm sure Ricky Ducan said a while back he would be happy if one a year made the grade.

This is the best we can expect. Crewe probably produce 1 or 2 per season at best and they are considered to have the best in the lower leagues. We are doing well with what we have IMO.

if it takes a senior pro in the their position to be injured before they start saying look at me, then they havent the attitude to make it in the game. as has been said, brown will have watched him day in day out for over a year now. dont you think thats long enough, or you dont trust his judgement over your own fleeting glimpses of a player?

when aiming for promotion, you cant afford to have weak links, and at the time all agreed that auger was out of his depth against newport. brown would have been criticised had he not tried to fill that gap with a player of a higher standard.

Back