• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Good signing. Finally have some depth to the midfield, shame that it's only a loan until January, but we should have enough in there until the transfer window opens.

Yes a good signing in theory. Hopefully he won't add to the likes of Leonard, Corr , Eastwood and Phillips with being unfit or on treatment table too often.

Brilliant let's adopt the BHCB transfer policy of signing players that have never had an injury, I think I can guess how that'll go.

I'm going to the game with my Orient supporting pal tomorrow...he reckons a fit Mkandawire should be a Championship player

Drastic™;1452105 said:
Brilliant let's adopt the BHCB transfer policy of signing players that have never had an injury, I think I can guess how that'll go.

If I was manager I'd be targeting players who are proven resilient, durable performers. We're carrying too many crocks. I suspect Eastwood, Harris and Corr take up far too much of our wage bill for how little they've been available. I think it's fair enough to gamble on one of them (Corr would be my choice, who was highly productive in 2010-11 - more recently than either Eastwood (not since 2006) or Harris), but I think it's a huge mistake to have all three as it means you need to carry a minimum of five forwards, and probably at least six as you can't have any reasonable expectation that they will be fit. Add in that Eastwood and Harris are likely to be our biggest wage earners and this is a recipe for disaster.

These types of players are available - Anthony Grant the season before he joined us played 49 games. Adam Barrett played 99 times for Bristol Rovers in the two years before he joined us; another ex-Bristol Rovers player Che Wilson played 92 times for them over two seasons before joining us (via non-League football). All three proved to be resilient players at Roots Hall as well, rarely missing matches through the types of niggles that Leonard seems susceptible to. Now I like Leonard, but a slightly lesser player who's available more often may be better value. These players won't always work out, but I prefer the odds.

I was disappointed we didn't get that kid from Welling we were looking at start of last year. I think his name was Jack Parkinson and he's now at Woking alongside Lee "greatest player ever" Sawyer, but that's the type of player I'd be looking at. IIRC he was their captain and had played 40 games a year for the last three years. He was on his way up, would have had to jump two divisions to the fourth but I reckon that's do-able if you give them a season to bed in. Unlike say, Scannell, who made that leap, he looked durable and had a record of playing regularly. I reckon he would have been a safer bet than a reclamation project of someone dropping down through the divisions rediscovering their appetite for the game.

Millwall fan here:

When fit Tam is probably a nailed on first team regular at Championship level and is probably one of our best players.
Originally a footballing centre half he got moved into a defensively minded midfielder who combined exceptional defensive abilities with a surprising amount of quality on the ball.

If you need an anchor man in midfield, I strongly doubt there is a better player in League Two.

He's excellent in the tackle, great in the air, good on the ball and capable of scoring either with the ball at his feet or attacking set pieces. He's also hard working and was previously deceptively quick.

He's won the player of the season for each of his previous 3 clubs in all 3 division of English football (Hereford in Lg. 2, Orient in Lg. 1 and Millwall at Championship level.

I hope he has a good couple of months with you and comes back fully fit.

*Edit: He's in a completely different league to Marc Laird. Far, far better player at all aspects of the game.

reply to Matt Moore,i think its great when a fan of another club takes the time to come to another clubs zone and speaks about a player from his club, thank you mate its appreciated, And to Yorkshire Blue , what you say makes a lot of sense to me and i think maybe thats what PS is on about now when he says SUFC needs to look at non league essex clubs to unearth some local gems.

Millwall fan here:

When fit Tam is probably a nailed on first team regular at Championship level and is probably one of our best players.
Originally a footballing centre half he got moved into a defensively minded midfielder who combined exceptional defensive abilities with a surprising amount of quality on the ball.

If you need an anchor man in midfield, I strongly doubt there is a better player in League Two.

He's excellent in the tackle, great in the air, good on the ball and capable of scoring either with the ball at his feet or attacking set pieces. He's also hard working and was previously deceptively quick.

He's won the player of the season for each of his previous 3 clubs in all 3 division of English football (Hereford in Lg. 2, Orient in Lg. 1 and Millwall at Championship level.

I hope he has a good couple of months with you and comes back fully fit.

*Edit: He's in a completely different league to Marc Laird. Far, far better player at all aspects of the game.

Sounds like an excellent signing when you put it like that. Lets hope he performs and we keep him for the season!

Back