• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yeah I was in the seating area too and didn't hear anything but towards the end of the match, a Shrimper closest to the home fans seemed to be remonstrating with the home fans and the stewards about something. Without wanting to be un-PC, he didn't look like the type to just have a pop at opposing fans/stewards and I was wondering what could have possibly happened to make him react like that...

That might have been aimed at the ginger knobend who gave us the finger as he left....... and was greeted with a bit of friendly banter.

Yeah I was in the seating area too and didn't hear anything but towards the end of the match, a Shrimper closest to the home fans seemed to be remonstrating with the home fans and the stewards about something. Without wanting to be un-PC, he didn't look like the type to just have a pop at opposing fans/stewards and I was wondering what could have possibly happened to make him react like that...

Hands up that was probably me. Myself and fellow shrimpers around me were outraged that what appeared to be monkey chants coming from the back of the home supporters along side us when Strakes (the only non-white on the pitch) got the ball. I remonstrated with a couple of stewards about this and shortly after a chief steward came over to me to explain "it is not racist monkey chants but someone mimicking your manager who was putting his hands to his mouth to shout instructions across the pitch!" I appreciate your description though Juggler90 and agree that Strakes did have a good game as did the rest of the lads.

Hands up that was probably me. Myself and fellow shrimpers around me were outraged that what appeared to be monkey chants coming from the back of the home supporters along side us when Strakes (the only non-white on the pitch) got the ball. I remonstrated with a couple of stewards about this and shortly after a chief steward came over to me to explain "it is not racist monkey chants but someone mimicking your manager who was putting his hands to his mouth to shout instructions across the pitch!" I appreciate your description though Juggler90 and agree that Strakes did have a good game as did the rest of the lads.
Were you down the front (maybe 2nd row)? And if so, you're welcome. To be fair, that is a pretty reasonable explanation for their behaviour and sounds like the kind of things fans do...maybe I'm being naïve here but I've never heard a monkey chant in 20 years of going to football (I'm aware that it does happen) and taking on board regional differences (someone said they're backwards in the south west haha - shouldn't make me smile but it did), Exeter didn't strike me as the type of club with a nasty element in their support.

Believe me, I was six rows behind the Southend dugout. The barking noises were coming from the Southend dugout and the Exeter fans were woof-woofing back. I heard no monkey noises. Exeter had just held a large counter-demonstration to the EDL; over 1000 people celebrating the city's diversity.

While I'm at it, the Exeter fans surrounding me were impressed by Straker and commented positively on his skills. One said he was a reallly difficult handfull for their defenders to cope with.

Were you down the front (maybe 2nd row)? And if so, you're welcome. To be fair, that is a pretty reasonable explanation for their behaviour and sounds like the kind of things fans do...maybe I'm being naïve here but I've never heard a monkey chant in 20 years of going to football (I'm aware that it does happen) and taking on board regional differences (someone said they're backwards in the south west haha - shouldn't make me smile but it did), Exeter didn't strike me as the type of club with a nasty element in their support.
I should add that I was happy to accept the chief stewards explanation that whilst it might sound like monkey chants, that it was in fact home fan's mimicking the Southend manager. This was later bourn out when we heard the 'barking' coming from the away dug-out. My personal experience in chatting to Exeter fan's in their club house is that they are very welcoming and willing to share friendly banter. Which I am pleased to say is no different to what I have experienced with pretty well all of the teams in our division.

The only other time I've heard barking noises was when we played DOGenham and Redbridge.

I'll get me coat.........................:blush:

So after all this am I right that there were no monkey noises and people have the wrong end of the stick?

Back