• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
After the debacle on Tuesday that can only be fully appreciated by the "Aldershot 461" (as referred to on another thread and plagiarised by me, so thanks to whoever thought of that. Sounds more like a book by Ray Bradbury!), what changes would you make to the team, either in personnel or formation?

Keeper - Morris has looked very shaky since his return and can pretty much be blamed for at least 2 goals v Swindon, Plymouths first and certainly played a big part in giving Aldershot their penalty although Phillips didn't help either. I would personally be looking at CCC or Prem reserve keepers for at least a months loan and maybe to the end of the season. However, that seems unlikely I guess and Bentley is no replacement.

The back four - One of the few positives from Tuesday was that at least the defence looked pretty solid and were only breached by a penalty and a cruel deflection. I don't think Gilbert was as bad as some say and an off form Prosser is worse than an off form Gilbert. My guess is that the defence will remain unchanged although if Prosser does come in then I think that's pretty much it for Gilbert, barring injuries, and he certainly won't be offered a new deal.

Midfield - Without question, when they are on form, Timlin, Kalala and Hall are brilliant. Sadly, they aren't on form at the moment. Ferdinand blows hot and cold and is less suited to a physical game. Martin shows potential but seems to lack faith and maybe some fitness. Neither Timlin nor Kalala can pass very well, especially short, but Timlin's energy is phenomenal. Kalala is great at breaking up play but offers little more than that in my opinion. Mohsni is not a midfielder and has looked totally p*ssed off and disinterested in the last 2 games. Personally, I would have Hall, Grant, Timlin, Kalala and Martin in a 4-5-1 formation.

Up front - If playing 4-5-1 then Dickinson is the only option. Sampson, Crawford, Flood, Sturrock and now Harris are injured which only leaves Benyon and Mohsni as alternatives, although I think Sampson is available for Saturday. Mohsni is not a striker. I think it's important not to concede on Saturday as we need to get the defensive stability back as a matter of urgency. If we don't concede then the worst result we can have is 0-0 and we all know that there are goals in this team.

My starting line up for Saturday -

Morris

Clohessy
Phillips
Barker
Gilbert

Hall
Timlin
Grant
Kalala
Martin

Dickinson

Subs -
Mohsni
Prosser
Benyon
Ferdinand
Sampson/Sturrock, whoever is fit or available

Morris

Clohessy
Phillips
Mohsni
Prosser

Hall
Timlin (c)
Grant
Kalala
Martin

Sampson

Subs -
Harris
Barker
Benyon
Ferdinand
Dickinson

Last edited:
Morris

Clohessy
Phillips
Mohsni/Baldwin
Prosser

Hall
Sawyer if fit, if not Timlin
Grant
Kalala
Martin

Dickinson

One up front? Sorry but cant see how Grant would walk back into the team, he was atrocious vs Rotherham and not much better in every other game he has played. Need to play 2 strikers, I would go for Sampson and Harris and then Mohsni and Hall out wide. Timlin and JPK in the middle. Defence the same with Prosser in for Gilbert.

Morris

Clohessy
Phillips
Mohsni
Prosser

Hall
Timlin (c)
Grant
Kalala
Martin

Sampson

Subs -
Harris
Barker
Benyon
Ferdinand
Dickinson

Baring Dicko for Sampson, I'd go with this, down to the captaincy. I'd also toy with Timlin as captain until the end of the season, he's always talking/motivating/educating. With Martin and Hall, we can go 4-3-3 with the ball, and then 4-5-1 with we don't have possession, that fluidity helps a lot.

One up front? Sorry but cant see how Grant would walk back into the team, he was atrocious vs Rotherham and not much better in every other game he has played. Need to play 2 strikers, I would go for Sampson and Harris and then Mohsni and Hall out wide. Timlin and JPK in the middle. Defence the same with Prosser in for Gilbert.

Kalala and Ferdinand have been anonymous that last couple of games too. It's not walking back into the team when those ahead of you aren't doing their job. Grant will know how badly he played versus Rotherham and that he's struggled to make an impact in the last few games, and will know he needs to prove himself. I think it's the perfect opportunity to re-introduce him.

Be interesting to see what team PS puts out after saying in post his Aldershot interview some have had enough chances now.

He went on a rant after the Rotherham game & did indeed make changes after that for Gillingham. It was the same team, with the exception of Gilbert for Prosser that beat Crewe & then lost to Aldershot. So as it's already a changed team in response to a dire performance where does he go now?

My team:-

Morris

Clohessy Phillips Barker Prosser

Hall Ferdinand Timlin Martin

Dickinson Sampson / Mohsni

Subs: Baldwin Gilbert Kalala Benyon Mohsni / Grant

Good old fashioned 4-4-2..:smile:

Morris

Clohessy Phillips Barker Prosser

Ferdinand

Grant Timlin

Martin Dickinson Hall​

Morris

Clohessy
Phillips
Baldwin(if match fit)/Barker
Gilbert

Kalala
Grant
Timlin

Martin
Hall
Sampson

Subs:
Benyon
Barker/Baldwin
Sawyer
Mohsni
Dickinson

Midfield - Without question, when they are on form, Timlin, Kalala and Hall are brilliant. Sadly, they aren't on form at the moment. Ferdinand blows hot and cold and is less suited to a physical game. Martin shows potential but seems to lack faith and maybe some fitness. Neither Timlin nor Kalala can pass very well, especially short, but Timlin's energy is phenomenal. Kalala is great at breaking up play but offers little more than that in my opinion.

So in summary, Timlin and Kalala are brilliant but they can't pass and, in Kalala's case offers little other than breaking up play!

No wonder your optical crutches are rose-tinted.

Hall must play and I'd put him in Ferdinand's place just off the striker where he won't be restricted and can see lots of the ball and win us the game.
Not sure about the defence, but on late showings I'd expect Barker to have been more vocal cos we need him to him to be and I don't think his games been up to his usual standards.

Morris

Mohsni (Sweeper / free roll)

Clohessy Phillips Prosser..
martin
.....Timlin (c) ferdinand
Hall

Sampson Dickinson

So in summary, Timlin and Kalala are brilliant but they can't pass and, in Kalala's case offers little other than breaking up play!

No wonder your optical crutches are rose-tinted.

Blue tinted, purlease!

What I meant and didn't make very clear is that when on form, a midfield containing Hall, Timlin and Kalala is brilliant. Individually they have shortcomings but when they are on their game they complement each other very well.

I think the problem is there arent the players to come in. Luggy wants to change the personnel but all youre doing is swapping crap for crap. Benyon, Harris no goals in 2012. Grant abject last time out. Baldwin looked well out of sorts and unfit. Hall badly out of form. That was our bench on tuesday night. If those 5 started would it really make a difference. Why not chuck Flood in or even bring back Blair or Asante?? Something needs to be done because we look a shadow of the team that went 17 games unbeaten.

Will we see Sawyer? Not suggesting he is the answer but everyone else has been given their chance.....played cr*p, given another chance....played cr*p and so on over and over again.

Morris

Clohessey Phillips Barker (or Coughlan) Prosser

Ferdinand

Hall Timlin Martin

Moshni Dickinson

Subs
Gilbert
Grant
Sampson
Benyon
Coughlan (or Barker)

Away to Morecombe then I would want height and I would want Hall for dead balls and try and get back to the early season 'scoring for fun' that Phillips was up to. Hall MUST start imho.

U won't see Sawyer unless there is a flu Epidemic .Fit and ready to go, Frozen out it seems.

Back