• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Most Depressing Song of All Time????????

The irony is that The Smiths songs are all very funny and not depressing at all, you need to listen to the words.

You are probably right DWB but just the sound of that blokes voice makes me turn it off.

Anything by Leonard Cohen, music to slash your wrists by.

Oh I dunno H he made some classic tunes....Suzanne, So long Marianne and Famous Blue Raincoat and don't forget he wrote "Hallelujah" made famous by Jeff Buckley and that bint from xfactor last year.

Mad world!

I'm assuming you mean the Gary Jules cover? Tears for Fears version is cracking but then again the whole album 'The Hurting' is.

Most depressing, hmmmm thats tricky. Personally I can't listen to 'She's leaving home' by The Beatles without blubbing like a child, however, I'm not sure if thats the same as depressing.

I'm assuming you mean the Gary Jules cover? Tears for Fears version is cracking but then again the whole album 'The Hurting' is.

Most depressing, hmmmm thats tricky. Personally I can't listen to 'She's leaving home' by The Beatles without blubbing like a child, however, I'm not sure if thats the same as depressing.

No, not at all, that's emotional in a different way, plenty of songs have that effect on me, including their "Hey Jude". I'd go along with Gary Jules' version of "Mad World" though, although I also find "Mull of Kintyre" pretty depressing.

Gloomy Sunday by Billie H well is apparently the most suicidal song in history. Cheerful woman!

And the Smiths are genius!

Just listened to it and that now takes my top spot. Good shout Paul.

Although the most suicidal song in history was just unsubstantiated urban legend.

Last edited:
Billie Holiday without a doubt.

In my late teens i had a really bad patch after dropping out of Uni and subsequently finding myself out of work, Musically i wasstruggling to find anything to listen to either and basically spent all day listening to the Lady Sings the Blues soundtrack, which whilst being Diana Ross was all BH songs .
I went from being a bit down to almost suicidal over the following couple of months and I am sure that tape contributed.
As I have mentioned on a number of music threads, one of my few mates I had not alienated with my depressive drunken episodes, probably because I hadn't seen him for six months, turned up with the first Clash Album and that truely started to change things, initially by not having those dirges playing 24/7....

I know the standard joke is leonard cohen / the smiths are really depressing songs , but to me they are not in BH's league.

Mind you Billie didn't have a lot to be chirpy about

Most depressing song ever? "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles", seeing as those Hamster scum only ever sing when they're winning it's usually bad news when it gets an airing!

Back