• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

OK, not sure if this has been done before but over its 62 years Roots Hall has seen some memorable moments which are not match related.

Happy, sad, or just amazing, there will have been moments created by fans, staff, officials and players which stick in your memory.

My starter is Saturday 25 August 2007, Southend 1 Millwall 0, League One: For five years the half-time challenge had been to score from distance three goals from four shots over an obstacle between the sticks. The prize was a new car and the sponsor seemed quite content that no one had ever got near. Then someone did it – the image of him running round the pitch going mental as everyone jumped up and down sharing his delight was priceless. And a few weeks later someone did it again. The prize after that was down-graded to a signed match ball.

ATTACH=CONFIG]4823[/ATTACH]

What non-match Roots Hall memory stands out for you? No need for a pic but if you have one then great.

Attachments

• millwall-v-southend-538707.jpg
    millwall-v-southend-538707.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 85
I remember that! My favourite non footballing moments at RH would include "THAT" Meet the Blues Day (1976 - any excuse to show my favourite player Terry Nicholl!) and also the wonderful fireworks displays of the late 70s!

Terry Nicholl.jpg

Best moment of the Sturrock era (other than Orient in the JPT) when a seagull on the pitch got more attention than any of the hoofball going on around it.

When that stunt guy blew himself up in a coffin at half time. Bits of wood hit people in the North Paddock. Very strange half time entertainment. I think the game was against Wolves but can't remember the season.

For me, playing on the hallowed turf of Roots hall back in the late 80's for the junior Blues.

More recently, seeing the warm welcome Tom Leggett got at the hall, when he went around the pitch after running from Colchester. That guy was totally broken, buckled and twisted to bits.

Talking of Col Ewe, It's not a Roots Hall moment, But the time when our beloved Sammy The Shrimp takes out the Colchester Utd mascot in a race.... It never fails to bring a smile to my face! :smile:

For those that haven't seen it....Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/KOlnK0RySDY

I remember that! My favourite non footballing moments at RH would include "THAT" Meet the Blues Day (1976 - any excuse to show my favourite player Terry Nicholl!) and also the wonderful fireworks displays of the late 70s!

I was also going to mention the Firework Displays!

I also had the privilege of playing a couple of times at the ground. :thumbsup:

Neither are non football related but playing on the Roots Hall pitch in a cup final will be a memory I'll never forget and seeing my boy being a ball boy last season at home to Oldham is another memory I'll treasure

The match, many years ago, where the ball went onto the roof of the East Stand, bobbled about, then dropped back down and broke the stick of the linesman's outstretched flag.

One of my very earliest memories is losing my Mum at Roots Hall Market and being taken to the portacabin office and them calling out over the crappy one speaker tannoy thing they had for her to come and collect me.

Bit of a precursor of years to come, being traumatised and humiliated at Roots Hall.....

against Aldershot (I think) when it was so foggy you couldn't see the game up the other end of the pitch.

When that stunt guy blew himself up in a coffin at half time. Bits of wood hit people in the North Paddock. Very strange half time entertainment

LOL :smile:

Now THAT'S Entertainment!

Back