• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

banjo saviola

First XI
Can anyone help me? I am sure my very First Southend game was a friendly against Gothenburg in the late 80's. I remember watching under the lights in the Paddock (remember that?) and there were loads of goals.

Can anyone remember this game and confirm this game took place and wasn't a figment of my imagination...??

Sufcdb is your place to go mate, can see it was on 20th feb 1989 and we lost 4-2 :thumbsup:

On Monday 20 February 1989 - so 24 years and 1 week ago - we played IFK Göteborg in a friendly at Roots Hall and lost the game 4-2.

You're not imagining it...

I think you'll find this was the match but regret I was not present:

Monday 20th February 1989 Southend United 2-4 IFK Goteborg Friendly

DoDtS

I remember this well, they had won the UEFA Cup a few years before, home and away against Dundee United, whose team included a certain Paul Sturrock, who had been beaten Barcelona over two legs to reach the final.
Me and a couple of mates (we were young then) managed to walk from the West Stand, to behind the benches, via the North Bank, where we pleaded with these seven-foot blond giants - who all looked like Flash Gordon - if we could have their shirts, but they were having none of it!

My first game was at the hall against Chelsea sometime in the early/ mid 70's. I think it may have been the league cup and Chelsea won (1-0?) But would someone please tell me what date this actually was?

The IFK Goteborg game in 1989 was also my first Southend match. I went with a few people from SEEVIC and remember standing in the North Bank.

My first game was at the hall against Chelsea sometime in the early/ mid 70's. I think it may have been the league cup and Chelsea won (1-0?) But would someone please tell me what date this actually was?

6th September 1972 southend United 0-1 Chelsea League Cup Round 2 attendance 24,160.

DoDtS

I have no idea what my first game was :sad:

I have programs from around 1980 including a West Ham friendly so around then.

I feel very young after reading those replies!

My first was against Kingstonian (not sure if spelt right) in the FA Cup, lost 1-0 and can remember not seeing much due to a rather large gentleman in front of me but still enjoyed it.

Think my first game was either a 1-1 draw against Cardiff in 2001. OG in the last minute for us, it was either that or the game against Mansfield were the referee collapsed. Can't remember which one it was. But it was around the late 90's early 00's.

A 1-0 pre-season friendly win at home to Motherwell in July 1996. Tilly got the goal.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I have no idea what my first game was :sad:

I have programs from around 1980 including a West Ham friendly so around then.

If you have "programs" from around 1980 they were probably written in BASIC or one of the new computer languages such as APL. On the other hand football programmes were something completely different ......... :omg:

Back