• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

This is what makes me doubt it tbh, the IF factor, IF the hotel gets built, IF the main stand etc etc, the council would surely want some sort of guarantee.

But the money is meant to be an offset amount against those facilities.

So logically we shouldnt pay anything till the retail park is finished as it wont be affecting anything till then. They dont get a guarantee of the money, but if they dont get it, its because it wasnt built.

But the money is meant to be an offset amount against those facilities.

So logically we shouldnt pay anything till the retail park is finished as it wont be affecting anything till then. They dont get a guarantee of the money, but if they dont get it, its because it wasnt built.

Indeed you are right, the council could well turn round and whats in it for us then. Having worked for southend council for two years I would not be surprised if they took that approach

So what happens if the council say no???? does the whole Ron Martin house of cards come tumbling down taking sufc with it, if so how? correct me if i am wrong but wasnt a covenant put in place to say no sainsburys until SUFC have a new home. Will the club just be liquidated and ron still sell roots hall etc. Can anyone give a summary of the repercussions of a No vote

If they vote no then potentially it all falls apart however the council will also not see any money for a town centre redevelopment, Sainsbury's will have to wait for SUFC to go broke, that shouldn't take long, before they can put in plans that don't have the proviso in that SUFC have to have a ground to move to before they can redevelop Roots Hall. Sainsbury will then build at Roots Hall.
Fossett Farm and Boots and Laces will stay as waste land until the economy picks up and someone has the guts to take on a development there.
Once Sainsbury have moved they will close down in the town centre and board up the store, again until someone comes along with deep enough pockets to buy the site and redevelop, this will take some time as evidenced by all the developers falling over themselves to buy up and redevelop all the redundant buildings in Vic Ave and the old Prudential building in Elmer Approach, not.
The Council will also be unable to do much as they will be minus £3.5m to invest in the town centre.

Basically, all three parties have gone so far down the road now that it really will be bad news for all of them if the vote is no, the only one that could live with it quite easily is Sainsbury, they can happily continue to trade where they are until the Council blinks, pretty much what Tesco are doing with the old B&Q building. The big supermarkets are quite happy to play the long game, they've got very good at it.:winking: However Sainsbury would really like their nice big new shiny store if they can get the deal done, SUFC really, really want the deal done and the Council really don't want a decaying boarded up eyesore right in the middle of town right next to their shiny pride and joy Victoria Gateway welcoming everyone getting off the train at Southend Vic to Southend.

The fact that SUFC and Sainsbury offered £2.5m and were turned down pending their 'people' getting together with the Council's 'people' and have now come back with £3.5m suggests to me that a deal has pretty much been done to save face all round, if not there's going to be a lot of egg on a lot of faces come next Thursday morning. :'(

If they vote no then potentially it all falls apart however the council will also not see any money for a town centre redevelopment, Sainsbury's will have to wait for SUFC to go broke, that shouldn't take long, before they can put in plans that don't have the proviso in that SUFC have to have a ground to move to before they can redevelop Roots Hall. Sainsbury will then build at Roots Hall.
Fossett Farm and Boots and Laces will stay as waste land until the economy picks up and someone has the guts to take on a development there.
Once Sainsbury have moved they will close down in the town centre and board up the store, again until someone comes along with deep enough pockets to buy the site and redevelop, this will take some time as evidenced by all the developers falling over themselves to buy up and redevelop all the redundant buildings in Vic Ave and the old Prudential building in Elmer Approach, not.
The Council will also be unable to do much as they will be minus £3.5m to invest in the town centre.

Basically, all three parties have gone so far down the road now that it really will be bad news for all of them if the vote is no, the only one that could live with it quite easily is Sainsbury, they can happily continue to trade where they are until the Council blinks, pretty much what Tesco are doing with the old B&Q building. The big supermarkets are quite happy to play the long game, they've got very good at it.:winking: However Sainsbury would really like their nice big new shiny store if they can get the deal done, SUFC really, really want the deal done and the Council really don't want a decaying boarded up eyesore right in the middle of town right next to their shiny pride and joy Victoria Gateway welcoming everyone getting off the train at Southend Vic to Southend.

The fact that SUFC and Sainsbury offered £2.5m and were turned down pending their 'people' getting together with the Council's 'people' and have now come back with £3.5m suggests to me that a deal has pretty much been done to save face all round, if not there's going to be a lot of egg on a lot of faces come next Thursday morning. :'(

Thanks for that buddy all makes sense.

That is probably true, except for the "save face" bit. This is just a renegotiation. RM went in low, was turned down, so offered more. I don't see anyone saving face, I see it as everyone coming to a new agreement.

Let's hope we're both right and the council do indeed agree.

Assuming that all those fans come from Southend?

Not really, in fact I'd argue that it's a more convincing case for the council if a lot of those 30,000 don't come from Southend. People in Southend will spend a lot of their money in Southend anyway. If we have maybe 10k of the 30k living outside the Borough then if the team are successful in the new stadium then maybe some of those 10k may visit Southend more often and spend their money here.

The fact remains that the town centre along with loads more up and down the country are experiencing falling sales and closures due to the rest of us shopping from our armchairs on line. This my friends and the town council are facts.
Also I always thought a council was there for the benefit of the people. Well the food outlets and the pubs, rail and buses as well as others linked to the club will make more from a larger gate at Fossets imo.
UTB

You can understand the council being apprehensive. The letter and support from a brand such as Sainsbury's would go a long way to pacifying concern about the finances of Southend United - but the final £1M is reliant on the hotel opening. The council will be be well aware that by the time any development of the hotel side of things is even considered...Sainsbury's will have no further obligation or indeed interest!

You can understand the council being apprehensive. The letter and support from a brand such as Sainsbury's would go a long way to pacifying concern about the finances of Southend United - but the final £1M is reliant on the hotel opening. The council will be be well aware that by the time any development of the hotel side of things is even considered...Sainsbury's will have no further obligation or indeed interest!

Why do even Sainsburys have any interest in the stadium/retail complex at all/ all their interest lies in RH.

The 15 mill they have set off for FF is to cover a 3 sided stadium so they can get at RH.

RM is putting sweet **** all in and never has,he has just borrowed money against the whole project and lived a "Lifestyle" on the back of a promise and SUFC ever since.

People seem to go around saying. "Ron saved Us "..Ron Paid the Taxman".Ron "wants the best for us"..well Bollocks....

All Ron wants is the the best for him at any cost.

And as it is Wembley week I am leaving it at that..

Come on you BLUES!

Why do even Sainsburys have any interest in the stadium/retail complex at all/ all their interest lies in RH.

The 15 mill they have set off for FF is to cover a 3 sided stadium so they can get at RH.

RM is putting sweet **** all in and never has,he has just borrowed money against the whole project and lived a "Lifestyle" on the back of a promise and SUFC ever since.

Spot on :thumbsup: I'm sure it must be more than the £4mill that has been banded about as well :stunned:

The delays have meant Sainsbury bank rolling us up to 1m max pa I believe- this deal probably conveniently recovers some of that the money

The delays have meant Sainsbury bank rolling us up to 1m max pa I believe- this deal probably conveniently recovers some of that the money

Sainsburys are already in hock for 8 million + the 15 mill they have to spend on the 3 sided atrocity if it goes ahead.

We will be like Grays Athletic, will lose our home ground, then end up with no ground and be playing in the Ryman North Division 1. Sharing a ground with great canvey island, The whole saga stinks, no planning permission and no ground.

Back