• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

New iPhone Owner

pickledseal

cowboy
Finally took the plunge....

1) Is there a SUFC wallpaper out there I can get my hands on easily? If not what is easiest way to make one the right size?

2) MP3s as ringtones - Is this easy to do? Seems like a lot of hassle...

3) Any app recommendations? Got all the usual standard good stuff already, but wondered if we had any new shout outs?

Tapatalk is worth the money to view the forum on a decent app. Makes it easier to navigate and post.

I'm loving Speedball2 on my iPhone at the moment. Tweetlist for twitter also.

Not sure about mp3's for ringtones.

1. Dunno

2. Ringtone Maker is a good free App that allowed me to turn one of my iPod tunes into my ringtone. It's a wee bit convoluted, but if someone as technologically inept as me can make it work, it can't be that difficult.

3. Good apps? In terms of the free apps, I rate all of the following

BBC News
Wikipedia
Dropbox
XE.com currency
Gorillacam
Google
Google Earth
Talking Tom (if you have a toddler - it's a laugh!)
TV Guide
FStream (for listening to BBC Radio... although, actually, I'm getting a bit fed up of it and may look for a new radio app)
iHandy Level (turns your phone into a spirit level, which is quite cool)
iTorch4 (surprisingly useful)
Lightsaber (for the Star Wars geek in you)
Met Office
Paper Toss
PCalc Lite
Solitaire
Spotify
Tesla Toy
thetrainline.com
Time Out
Tube Map
Mirror's Edge (although this may no longer be free - I got it on a recent iTunes giveaway called the 12 days of Xmas)
Zombie Farm (ludicrously addictive)

Should be plenty to get on with there!

Oh... and, like you, I was sceptical, resisting the urge to get an iPhone for ages. Other than my network (3, whose coverage is pretty pants when I'm at home, sadly), and the battery life (which is short if you use your apps), I have to say that I absolutely love my iPhone, in a way that I've never quite felt for a mobile phone before...!

Last edited:
1. Dunno

2. Ringtone Maker is a good free App that allowed me to turn one of my iPod tunes into my ringtone. It's a wee bit convoluted, but if someone as technologically inept as me can make it work, it can't be that difficult.

3. Good apps? In terms of the free apps, I rate all of the following

BBC News
Wikipedia
Dropbox
XE.com currency
Gorillacam
Google
Google Earth
Talking Tom (if you have a toddler - it's a laugh!)
TV Guide
FStream (for listening to BBC Radio... although, actually, I'm getting a bit fed up of it and may look for a new radio app)
iHandy Level (turns your phone into a spirit level, which is quite cool)
iTorch4 (surprisingly useful)
Lightsaber (for the Star Wars geek in you)
Met Office
Paper Toss
PCalc Lite
Solitaire
Spotify
Tesla Toy
thetrainline.com
Time Out
Tube Map
Mirror's Edge (although this may no longer be free - I got it on a recent iTunes giveaway called the 12 days of Xmas)
Zombie Farm (ludicrously addictive)

Should be plenty to get on with there!

Oh... and, like you, I was sceptical, resisting the urge to get an iPhone for ages. Other than my network (3, whose coverage is pretty pants when I'm at home, sadly), and the battery life (which is short if you use your apps), I have to say that I absolutely love my iPhone, in a way that I've never quite felt for a mobile phone before...!

Got an Iphone last week. Had a Blackberry for years, but decided they're for grown ups, and I wanted a toy!

Anyway, another couple of Apps to add to the list...

Distant Suns - a rather nifty free map of the stars/planets/moon etc
UK Map - not free, think it cost about £6.99, but gives you free access to 1:25000, and 1:10000 scale OS maps of the country. If, like me, you enjoy walking, but don't enjoy spending a fortune on OS maps, then it's great. Just download the ones you need before going for a stroll, and they're on your Iphone if needed

Also got several horti based apps, but that's for work

SkySports
Paypal
WhatsApp
Ebay
Facebook
Twitter
PingChat
Sky+
TuneIn Radio
ColorSplash
SkyNews
MyPhoto
Tapatalk (for here)
Fifa11 (good fun and if anyone wants to play me let me know :)
Bump
UK & ROI Sat Nav (this is free and good, grab it quick)
Star Walk
TBook
TubeMap
Dominos

Just a few more :)

I'm going to assume these are still free

Skobbler Lite. A free Satnav with voice. I have one inbuilt but it works and must be an option for those without !
Word Scramble
Word Scramble 2 (the same but 1 has average stats)
Used to have other Zynga games but most of the app upgrades are converting these games to Facebook only and seeing as Facebook is for Saddos I'm out
Kingdoms.
IconSkins Free
Red Laser (barcode scanner serving me no purpose at all)
Talking Tom (must have)
Unblock Free
Sleeps Lite countdown to Xmas
Dragon Dictation (someone might find it useful)
Quite a few radio apps all of which seem to work but I've never bothered with them
Tons of other utter gash that I need to remove in iTunes
BubbleXplode
Jewels

Wow thanks for all the App recommendations. I've got quite a few of those mentioned, but I still have quite a lot to investigate it seems!

Just got TapaTalk on the download now... heard a few peeps mention it.

I do like the phone, it does a lot, and has changed my life regarding my connection to net/people etc.

I did think it would be easier to get my own ringtone and wallpaper though :(

Thanks again for all the recommendations guys :smile:

If you want to make a wallpaper you want the width to be 320 pixels and the height to be 480 pixels.
You can upload it to your ipod by saving the image then when syncing your ipod, click the photos tab and set the folder to be My Pictures, or wherever you saved it. Then you can view the background and set it.
EDIT: If you make your own, bare in mind the top and bottom part of the image will be obscured by the time, and the unlock slider

Last edited:
If you want to make a wallpaper you want the width to be 320 pixels and the height to be 480 pixels.
You can upload it to your ipod by saving the image then when syncing your ipod, click the photos tab and set the folder to be My Pictures, or wherever you saved it. Then you can view the background and set it.
EDIT: If you make your own, bare in mind the top and bottom part of the image will be obscured by the time, and the unlock slider

Wish I was better with Photoshop.... any of our talented bunch care to make a plain SUFC wallpaper? Just needs to be white with the badge? Maybe we can have a comp - sure other iPhone users would put it to use!

Winterboard on the Cydia app store has some decent themes if you're prepared to jailbreak it.

Wish I was better with Photoshop.... any of our talented bunch care to make a plain SUFC wallpaper? Just needs to be white with the badge? Maybe we can have a comp - sure other iPhone users would put it to use!

you have mail got a SUFC Wallpaper on my iphone happy to send to you

Back