• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

New TV...

EastStandBlue

Life President
This one's more for the Techies on here who can point me in the right direction...

I'm looking at getting a new TV, but because I'll be moving in the near future I plan to get a top of the range bit of kit. 40"+ HD LCD/Plasma with at least 2 HDMI inputs is what I'm after.

I've just got a few questions really... Obviously I can go after an LG/Wharfedale instead of a Samsung or Sony and save myself a few quid, but is there any real gulf in class or will an LG/Wharfedale TV connected with Sony Surround Sound likely to be problematic?

I'll exchange Green for some advice... and if you can point me in the direction of a good deal online or instore, I'll consider buying you one of TrueBlue's love machines.

Yes especially when it comes to contrast ratio and remotes go for the Samsung and you will NOT be disappointed oh and LG are a reputable make up there with Sony and Samsung

Yes especially when it comes to contrast ratio and remotes go for the Samsung and you will NOT be disappointed oh and LG are a reputable make up there with Sony and Samsung

I've got an LG now and think it's brilliant, Just not on the same line as a Sony or Samsung.

Sony for me...LCD and surround sound.

More expensive is the problem for Sony tho but then I have not had a problem with any of mine and cant really complain about their quality.

John Lewis usually price match with a real shop (ie not a website price) and used to chuck in a free 5 year warranty. Some other places do that aswell. You can ofcourse buy the warranty from D&G if you dont get one included. They arent too expensive given the cost of what you are buying.

If you order online you might be able to use Quidco aswell on some sites for cashback on your order. Worth looking at.

Best bet is to do search the websites once you decide what TV you are after. Some maybe cheaper than others when you are ready to order. I dont think I have ordered my bits of kit from the same place....pricerunner is a good bet to give you an idea.

Or you could go for a good old fashioned haggle in the high street.

Last edited:
Currys are doing some great deals on TV's at the moment. Good clearance sale with whats on display.Some huge great things on offer for under £800 quid. Must admit, I was tempted but just haven't the room.

The one you should be going for is the Panasonic Vierra, TH-P**Z range. The greater the contrast ratio the better. You also want it to be 1080 p-native so that it doesn't have to fill in the gaps. You also want at least two HDMI inputs, preferably three, and also another input that I can't remember off hand!

The Pioneer is probably better, but is also more expensive (I believe).

The one you should be going for is the Panasonic Vierra, TH-P**Z range. The greater the contrast ratio the better. You also want it to be 1080 p-native so that it doesn't have to fill in the gaps. You also want at least two HDMI inputs, preferably three, and also another input that I can't remember off hand!

The Pioneer is probably better, but is also more expensive (I believe).

Yeah was looking at a 50" model earlier this morning... Then saw the price tag.

The 42" model is more affordable for me at just over a Grand.

Back