• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Next seasons whipping boys?

GBJ

⭐⭐
Staff member
We've all got our opinions on who will be successful, but who do you think will struggle next season?

Exeter - back to back promotions is a big acheivement, but i feel this league will be too strong for them

Wycombe - the amount of goals they have scored this season wasn't brilliant for a team in the auto promo spot. This could be their downfall next season

Carlisle - Aside from Hereford played the worst football at the hall i've ever seen. They could be in for a tough time next season

Orient - scored the third lowest amount of goals this season. Unless they strengthen upfront they will be in big danger

Yeovil - another team who have looked poor all season. Will do well to avoid relegation

Walsall - did well for a short period and did well to escape relegation. But that luck ran out very quick as 4 defeats in their last 6 proved.

Col u - not just because they're our rivals, not just because they're inbred but apart from those relegated and walsall, (according to the form league) they were the worst team in the league on the back end of last season. Lets hope this form continues into the next season, but i wouldn't want to see them relegated if i'm honest

Yeovil, Chris Weale has saved them but he will have gone. c*l ewe and borient I obviously have to mention and don't think Exeter will have the money to improve enough by next season.

Hard to tell at this stage. Once those sides have made a few signings or players have left we'll probably get a better indication of that.

I can't see Exeter competing against the powerhouse teams of League 1: like Charlton/Naarwich/Southampton/Southend

Dependant on the outcome of the Play off's, I would say other than Bury, who ever comes up to L1 will struggle especially Shrewsbury.

Got to be a record amount of Southern clubs in LG1 next season, good for you local lads but not so good for us ex-pats :(

Dependant on the outcome of the Play off's, I would say other than Bury, who ever comes up to L1 will struggle especially Shrewsbury.

Got to be a record amount of Southern clubs in LG1 next season, good for you local lads but not so good for us ex-pats :(

Lets hope for a Bury v Rochdale playoff final then...
Still got Carlisle don't forget, maybe a certain other poster would like to reacquaint himself with Cumbrian bus-shelters...

I actually quite fancy sorting an Exiles weekend to say Exeter or Southampton?

Lets hope for a Bury v Rochdale playoff final then...
Still got Carlisle don't forget, maybe a certain other poster would like to reacquaint himself with Cumbrian bus-shelters...

I actually quite fancy sorting an Exiles weekend to say Exeter or Southampton?

Well up for an exiles trip to St Mary's Stadium....think it is about 32,500 so we should get a good quota

I don't agree with you about Shrewsbury, they appear to have a few quid to spend, although that isn't a guarantee of success, plus they have a very decent centre forward in Grant Holt. Also the team that comes up from League 2 via the play offs seem to do well.

I don't agree with you about Shrewsbury, they appear to have a few quid to spend, although that isn't a guarantee of success, plus they have a very decent centre forward in Grant Holt. Also the team that comes up from League 2 via the play offs seem to do well.

Can't see it being anyone other than Bury to be honest.

The shrews only won 3 away games all season in league 2, that kind of away form in league one will almost certainly put them in the bottom 6

They've also got a new stadium which will allow them to facilitate bigger attendances which will also help with their revenue increase.

But TBH i see Gills coming up

They've also got a new stadium which will allow them to facilitate bigger attendances which will also help with their revenue increase.

But TBH i see Gills coming up

Gills v Rochdale will be a lot closer than the Bury Shrews match up, although I would still put my coffers on Bury for the fourth team to make the move up

Last edited:
Agree with Exeter and Yeovil - resources just not enough to compete in our league. Exeter is in my book almost a stratight swap for Hereford. I think Orient / Brighton / Wallsall will all struggle.

Last tip for relegation for me is Southampton. They are in serious financial trouble and, if they make the season at all, are likely to have a transfer embargo slapped on them by not having any money to sign players either themselves or on loan.

Agree with Exeter and Yeovil - resources just not enough to compete in our league. Exeter is in my book almost a stratight swap for Hereford. I think Orient / Brighton / Wallsall will all struggle.

Last tip for relegation for me is Southampton. They are in serious financial trouble and, if they make the season at all, are likely to have a transfer embargo slapped on them by not having any money to sign players either themselves or on loan.

As far as i know they don't have to sell their players though. Not like west ham for example when they were relegated. And as long as those players stay true to the club, i can't see saints having to bring in too many players. Some of their players will be more than good enough for this league; Svensson, Kelvin davies, rudi skacel, wotton, surman, Euell and Bradley wright phillips

I would still put my coffers on Bury for the third team to make the move up

I'll take that bet...

As for strugglers next year, guess you've got to look at Yeovil and Stockport as the two current L1 sides most likely to be down there.

Southampton could struggle as well, as they won't be able to strengthen in the same way Leeds did, and I'm not sure a bunch of kids is what you need when you're starting on -10. Can't see them hanging on to Lallana or Surman.

As for everyone tipping Orient... well it's undeniable we need to improve to compete next season, but BFG has just got shot of 13 players (including that waster Boyd), so I can't see how anyone can possibly predict how we're going to line up next year.

I'll take that bet...

As for strugglers next year, guess you've got to look at Yeovil and Stockport as the two current L1 sides most likely to be down there.

Southampton could struggle as well, as they won't be able to strengthen in the same way Leeds did, and I'm not sure a bunch of kids is what you need when you're starting on -10. Can't see them hanging on to Lallana or Surman.

As for everyone tipping Orient... well it's undeniable we need to improve to compete next season, but BFG has just got shot of 13 players (including that waster Boyd), so I can't see how anyone can possibly predict how we're going to line up next year.

How much?????????

Back