• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Nifty gadgets that improve your standard of living

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
Anyone discovered any that have revolutionised their life?

What are your top tips?

Long shoe horns - Saves all that bending down.

Nokia 925 with wireless charging shell - saves all that plugging in.

Car with key less entry - saves all that looking for keys in pocket.

Cucumber in a bin bag.

Post office staff and potential have a go heroes can't distinguish it from a sawnoff.

Alarm clock radio, gets rid of that awful tick-ticking of traditional alarm clocks and know you're not going to be rudely awoken by interminable ringing of bells.

I'm gonna go by devices used in the last 24 hours, that have had a dramatic impact in my life when compared to the perceived impact (so, the iPhone had to work a lot harder than the Fit Bit to get on the list!)

iPhone - literally an office in my pocket, and iPad Mini (original was too big) - easier to type office in my bag. Seriously, means I'm not chained to a desk. Means a true mobile lifestyle, working when and how I want. XDA Exec / Palm Treo / Orange SPV etc were similar, but the iDevices just work. Also, apps have made a huge impact - I now know what platform a train will arrive on before announced!

Associated to above - thin plug - a godsend for travelling light - a foldable UK plug.

FitBit bracelet - seriously, ***** as a pedometer, but the silent alarm is a godsend for lazy *******s like me who don't want to be woken by someone elses alarm for work. Also, seeing the bracelet made me know I should walk rather than get a cab. All part of my recovery from some quite serious health issues.

In car sat nav - I've always had a gut feel of how to get places, but then spent 20 minutes going round the town. Now, I can pull up exact locations, nearby parking, nearby petrol, and it will tell me when there is delays on route through the cars TMC thingy. Not long ago it was a TomTom hanging off the window in the hope it wouldnt be stolen, or worse a MS Autoroute printout.

Apple TV - simple - brings everything to my telly, and combined with Deezer on phone / Netflix, pretty much any media I could want. Sky On Demand has a long way to come as it's not true streaming!

iRobot Roomba - strictly speaking, I've not used this myself, as it is on a timer - but it means the house is always tidy. Still need cleaner once a week, but it keeps the place looking OK if visitors come.

That's all I can think of, sure that there's some more!

iRobot Roomba - strictly speaking, I've not used this myself, as it is on a timer - but it means the house is always tidy. Still need cleaner once a week, but it keeps the place looking OK if visitors come.

Stick an iPod on it. DJ ROOMBA.

Not necessarily standard of life, but my job is infinitely easier with a transcription pedal.

My airport express. Means any wireless device (ipad, iPhone, laptop) can wirelessly connect to my hi fi.

PS3 - games, media streaming, Netflix etc.

I'd love a roomba

Rice cooker is an amazing invention I would recommend to anyone.

Think we've discussed this before, but I eat loads of rice (whereas I don't have a car or drink coffee) so sell it to me.

What exactly is its advantage?

Does it take less than 15 minutes? Does it leave less washing up than cooking it in a pan and draining it in a sieve? Does it use less energy than an induction hob?

The ground floor of my house is split level.

How much of a pain in the *** would it be to move it between levels on alternate days?

Back