• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Nightclubs of Southend

I saw Ice T there, Sugar Bear, possibly BDP but maybe that is wishful thinking. I know there were more and I'll wake up at 4am having remembered some...
Was there for those gigs too, am sure you could be right; BDP did play (IIRC), also saw Afrika Bambaata (although his reputation is somewhat tarnished nowadays*), Stetsasonic, Rob Base, even Derek B (RIP), and am sure Doug E Fresh played there, although my memory sometimes eludes me... I am sure there were lots more, but need to mull that over.

* Rumours widely circulated are that Bambaataa preyed on young boys who he had befriended

Was there for those gigs too, am sure you could be right; BDP did play (IIRC), also saw Afrika Bambaata (although his reputation is somewhat tarnished nowadays*), Stetsasonic, Rob Base, even Derek B (RIP), and am sure Doug E Fresh played there, although my memory sometimes eludes me... I am sure there were lots more, but need to mull that over.

* Rumours widely circulated are that Bambaataa preyed on young boys who he had befriended

One of the owners a doorman and others involved in the Pink Toothbrush were up to things back in the mid 80's....I know one of the victims. He was 17 at the time.

Nothing to do with nightclubs but one thing I can distinctly remember; last time I used a jukebox was in 1974 and I selected The Who's 5:15 in the cafe/waiting room at Southend Central station whilst passing the time waiting for the next train for Fenchurch Street. Madness - how (or rather, why) the Hell do I remember that !?

Were you out of your brain?

One of the owners a doorman and others involved in the Pink Toothbrush were up to things back in the mid 80's....I know one of the victims. He was 17 at the time.
I think I may know who you’re referring to there, one of the main scumbags ended up getting sent down for a vile crime and was latterly murdered!

I think I may know who you’re referring to there, one of the main scumbags ended up getting sent down for a vile crime and was latterly murdered!

I know one of them did get convicted of Rape but didn't know he was murdered. Did his first name start with a D

What about the Shrimpers ? plenty of gigs there, Alison Moyet when she was in her Punk phase (Ab dabs , Vicars etc)

Never went myself but heard great things .....

I know one of them did get convicted of Rape but didn't know he was murdered. Did his first name start with a D
Yep, sounds like the same person, (surname started with W? if I remember correctly) and that was his crime. Nasty individual, who eventually messed with the wrong bloke and got himself killed.

Yep, sounds like the same person, (surname started with W? if I remember correctly) and that was his crime. Nasty individual, who eventually messed with the wrong bloke and got himself killed.

Yep that's the one, Dug the Thug.... His brother used to run the Rayleigh Mill boxing club when I used to train up there.

What happened when he got murdered?

never did like discos-night clubs,went sometimes to Quills,dont know why,always hated the place.
Remember the Intercom??if we played a home game on a saturday,we went to the early saturday morning disco,meet up and talk about the game.
Only ever went to the Kings club Canvey once.With Carl(rip mate) and a few car full off mates to put a wrong, right.
Scamps,the bouncers put me in hospital...no wonder i dont like discos!!
went a few times to TOTS...saw MUD,LULU,Alvin Stardust and a few other"stars" live there,but the only place i ever felt at home at was FANNYS,at Roots Hall.
Great memories

Yep that's the one, Dug the Thug.... His brother used to run the Rayleigh Mill boxing club when I used to train up there.
?

Blimey, knew him in the mid 70's, he was all 'mouth & trousers' then, although rated himself.
Also knew his brother, was a Spurs fan, wont name him but his first name began with a C, IIR?.

There was a disco over Canvey seafront above an arcade , three Leigh chaps went over one Saturday night and came off better with O Bs Canvey mob , a long running saga .

Back