• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

No Dwain Chambers then

I wouldn't mind a crack at the Olympics and am thinking about the 10m air pistol event.

Does anyone know if Olympic athletes are tested for poppers?

Very good point. Also let's not forget that the benefits of drug use, particulary increased muscle mass, don't go away after you stop taking drugs. Chambers continues to benefit from his previous drug use - is that fair to clean athletes?

I don't think that's actually the case after this amount of time. I even commented during the Olympic trials how much less bulky he looks these days. Compare pictures, i'm pretty sure that's the case.

Completely agree. Is it because as a 100m runner he gets more exposure? Who knows.

Myerscough didn't put himself forward for selection in the Olympic team, so far as I know - so Chambers has brought all this opprobrium upon himself.

If you cheat, and you're caught, you lose. Either don't get caught, or don't cheat. There's no proof that Ohourugu cheated, incidentally - even if, at best, she is an extremely foolish girl.

Matt

Myerscough didn't put himself forward for selection in the Olympic team, so far as I know - so Chambers has brought all this opprobrium upon himself.

If you cheat, and you're caught, you lose. Either don't get caught, or don't cheat. There's no proof that Ohourugu cheated, incidentally - even if, at best, she is an extremely foolish girl.

Matt

And, thus, not the female Messiah.

im in two minds over this.

Im against drugs, and think that the ban he got was justified, and that he shouldnt be competeing at the Olyimpics.

On the other hand, with all other crimes, once a criminal has served there sentence, no matter if people think it was too leinient, i think im correct in saying that society has to give them a second chance.

Obviously, there are crims etc that get into a life of crime, but there are those who break the rules, and come out clean, and give a lot back to society through being given a second chance.

Im not supporting what Chambers did in the past... all im saying is though that anyone who is convicted of a crime and serves there time has a right to try and rebuild there lives. If they wish to go down a path of being in an out of prison (or to continue to use drugs in this case) then they deserve further bans etc.

But in Chambers case he has served his time, and he is training, clean of drugs and trying his best to make another go of things. Granted he cant take back what is done, but surely if he can prove his cleaness, he should be given a second chance, like a reformed burgular etc would be?

As Roland Browning and his friends said .....just say no !!!

Slightly off topic but couldn't help but laugh when watching a programme on the Drugs campaign that Grange Hill were fronting as nearly all of the ex cast members claimed that at the time most of them were getting right involved on the illegal stuff.

I don't think that's actually the case after this amount of time. I even commented during the Olympic trials how much less bulky he looks these days. Compare pictures, i'm pretty sure that's the case.

The drugs allowed him to train harder and longer, plus some actually encourage the development of muscle mass. If he continued to train (as he did) during his drug ban, he will have retained a certain amount of that muscle. He won't have the whole benefit, but I believe some will still be there.

302_person_lifting_weights.gif

Matt

But the rules do state that missing a drugs test is the same as Failing a drugs test

IAAF Anti Doping rules

Doping is defined as the occurrence of one or more of the
following anti-doping rule violations:
(a) the presence of a prohibited substance or its
metabolites or markers in an athlete’s body tissues or
fluids......
(c) the refusal or failure, without compelling justification,
to submit to doping control having been requested to
do so by a responsible official or otherwise seeking to
evade doping control

UK Athletics Anti Doping rules
Rule 6 Athletes Whereabouts Requirements
6.1 Rules 35.16 (whereabouts reporting requirements) and 35.17 (criteria for violations)
of the IAAF's Anti-Doping Rules (together with the provisions in the Procedural
Guidelines relating to those rules) shall apply to athletes in UKA's National Level
Registered Testing Pool except that:
(a) such athletes shall provide their whereabouts information to UKA or to UK
Sport (if so directed by UKA) in such format as UKA shall from time to time
prescribe;
(b) for out-of-competition testing of such athletes it shall be sufficient for the
Doping Control Officer to visit the location specified only once and to remain
there for at least one hour during one of the times specified by the athlete in
the whereabouts information provided in paragraph (a)

Both Chambers and Ohourugu broke the same IAAF Rule

im in two minds over this.

Im against drugs, and think that the ban he got was justified, and that he shouldnt be competeing at the Olyimpics.

On the other hand, with all other crimes, once a criminal has served there sentence, no matter if people think it was too leinient, i think im correct in saying that society has to give them a second chance.

Obviously, there are crims etc that get into a life of crime, but there are those who break the rules, and come out clean, and give a lot back to society through being given a second chance.

Im not supporting what Chambers did in the past... all im saying is though that anyone who is convicted of a crime and serves there time has a right to try and rebuild there lives. If they wish to go down a path of being in an out of prison (or to continue to use drugs in this case) then they deserve further bans etc.

But in Chambers case he has served his time, and he is training, clean of drugs and trying his best to make another go of things. Granted he cant take back what is done, but surely if he can prove his cleaness, he should be given a second chance, like a reformed burgular etc would be?

I kind of agree with you, but how can you say he has served his time? His time was a 2 year ban, and a lifetime ban from the Olympics. He won't have served his "Olympics" time until he dies.

The drugs allowed him to train harder and longer, plus some actually encourage the development of muscle mass. If he continued to train (as he did) during his drug ban, he will have retained a certain amount of that muscle. He won't have the whole benefit, but I believe some will still be there.

302_person_lifting_weights.gif

Interesting question this. I'm not sure he will still be benefitting from drugs the best part of 5 years after taking them.

All I need is about 2 weeks out of the gym and I have to reduce the weights I use, muscles waste very quickly. Well, mine do anyway!

Interesting question this. I'm not sure he will still be benefitting from drugs the best part of 5 years after taking them.

All I need is about 2 weeks out of the gym and I have to reduce the weights I use, muscles waste very quickly. Well, mine do anyway!

Sod's law says I can't now find the article that argued this, if I do come across it again I will stick it up.

I think more to the point it is a shame that there is no simple way of telling the difference between someone who took the wrong cough mix in all innocence and someone who deliberately takes a regime of banned substances over a period to deliberately gain a competetive advantage.

Sod's law says I can't now find the article that argued this, if I do come across it again I will stick it up.

I think more to the point it is a shame that there is no simple way of telling the difference between someone who took the wrong cough mix in all innocence and someone who deliberately takes a regime of banned substances over a period to deliberately gain a competetive advantage.

I'd be interested in reading that...as I said, it's an interesting question...

If you are caught cheating, i.e. taking drugs, then you should be banned for life. End of! It sends a clear message to everybody if everybody takes that stance, but if other countries want to cheat then the IOC, FIFA or whatever organisation is involved, should ban the countries concerned if they are repeat offenders.

There will always be the grey areas where cold remedies or inhalers may have the drugs in them, but are taken innocently. There commonsense can prevail, but the likes of Ben Johnson or Dwain Chambers of this world can FRO & lose everything for being a scumbag cheat!

and current England captain Rio Ferdinand

Not giving a flying fig about the English Footie team, until such time as we appoint an English manager I was blissfully unaware of this.

It's bad enough that RF is picked in the first place on ability. He's good but not that good. English Captain - is that how low the state of our national team has become. The least qualified from a playing point of view and the one player in the squad with the least integrity as Captain. What a joke. Next you'll all be telling me Barrett will be our Captain. :p

I'd be interested in reading that...as I said, it's an interesting question...

Here you go squire:

Not really. It is to the sport's embarrassment that we are still waiting for four-year bans. It is to its shame that more research has not been done into the long-term effects of doping. Two years ago a study at Umea University in Sweden raised worrying questions. “The morphological changes induced by testosterone and anabolic steroids are very long-lasting, perhaps life-long,” it said. “It is very likely that these changes are beneficial for physical performance. The findings ... therefore raise questions regarding relevant suspension times for athletes caught with banned substances in the body.”

Back