• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Floval Flyer

Licensed to ill⭐
Shame to see that not one of our players was considered for the League 1 team of the year.

Should we really have expected to see Lenny, Thompson, Ferdinand or Coxy ahead of this lot? I would have thought one of them would have been in there...

Goalkeeper: Connor Ripley (Oldham Athletic)

Right-back: Conor McLaughlin (Fleetwood Town)
Centre-back: David Wheater (Bolton Wanderers)
Centre-back: Mark Beevers (Bolton Wanderers)
Left-back: James Meredith (Bradford City)

Midfield: John Fleck (Sheffield United)
Midfield: Erhun Oztumer (Walsall)
Midfield: Josh Morris (Scunthorpe United)

Forward: Lee Gregory (Millwall)
Forward: Billy Sharp (Sheffield United)
Forward: James Vaughan (Bury)

Manager: Uwe Rosler (Fleetwood Town)

I would not have expected any of our players to have figured.

Sure we are doing well, probably better than we should given our squad, Our good performances have been more about the team than anyone being spectacularly good

To be fair we're always overlooked in these things.

Even when we won League One I swear only Flavs made it in.

I'm surprised Ferdinand isn't on there - he's been a great signing obviously but he also has the name factor which often swings these types of lists.

To be fair we're always overlooked in these things.

Even when we won League One I swear only Flavs made it in.

In 2005/6, we had 3 players - Flahavan, Barrett and Maher

Other years:

In 2014/5 both Bentley and Coker featured
In 2012/3 both Clohessy and Cresswell featured (Barrett was in it for Gills)
In 2004/5 both Barrett and Maher were in
In 89/90, Crown featured
In 90/91, Angell got in - alongside future Shrimper Keith Jones (Brentford) and Phil Brown (Bolton)
80/81 was our best season with four players: Cawston, Cusack, Anton O, and Spence (also in that team: Billy Kellock (Posh), Steve Phillips (Northampton) and Alan Little (Doncaster))
85/6, we had Cadette represented
86/7, we had Stannard and Cadette (also in that team, Sam Allardyce for Preston)
lastly, in 76/7. Andy Ford was our first team representative

IIRC one of the issues is that the team is voted on about half way through the season. Given that we had an awful start to the season half the teams we played against wouldn't have thought any of our players were any good.

However, I guess the other way of looking at it is that we're greater than the sum of our parts, which is what you would expect from a good team.

I'm surprised Ferdinand isn't on there - he's been a great signing obviously but he also has the name factor which often swings these types of lists.

TBF Wheater and Beevers are quality as well so there's strong competition in that position.

I would probably have Cox over Gregory though.

TBF Wheater and Beevers are quality as well so there's strong competition in that position.

I would probably have Cox over Gregory though.
Was reading somewhere they have the best CB partnership in the league as well as contributing to double figures worth of goals...

I'm glad cos it means keeping our best players under the radar of higher league clubs who might want to come sniffing around!:winking:

I would not have expected any of our players to have figured.

Sure we are doing well, probably better than we should given our squad, Our good performances have been more about the team than anyone being spectacularly good

Totally agree with that. Not one of our players has been consistently excellent throughout the whole season.

Can't say I'm surprised. That team on paper is well worth its place

Not suggesting Smith should be in , but picking a keeper from a team fighting relegation must be quite rare ??

Swindon keeper would have got my vote, always seems to have a blinder against us, their league position would suggest he must have stinkers against the rest though. I think Ferdinand would be in with a shout if he started the season. Possibly McLaughlin, if he didn't get injured.

Out of the Millwall lads, I prefer Morrison to Gregory.

Not suggesting Smith should be in , but picking a keeper from a team fighting relegation must be quite rare ??

I was thinking the exact same thing as you, but looking at Bolton's league position, I was also initially surprised at that.

However, considering they are fighting relegation and on closer inspection, letting in only 38 goals so far this season (the 3rd best defensive team in the league) and yet having the worst scoring record in all of League One, I think he must be worth his salt to keep them in the fight.

Now, The more I think about it, the more & more i'm concerned about our Tuesday night game with Oldham, If we can get the first goal, I think we will win, if not, that game has 0-0 written all over it.

Also, I think it's an odd time for the team of the season to be released with still 8-9 games remaining of the season. A lot can still change in that time. I would rather have it published at 5pm after the final game of the season.

Now, The more I think about it, the more & more i'm concerned about our Tuesday night game with Oldham, If we can get the first goal, I think we will win, if not, that game has 0-0 written all over it.

Saturday, I guess you meant.

I agree, Oldham will come to defend and we are not at our best when teams do this.

Early goal could be crucial.

Back