• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ref Watch Non-league refwatch ......... Halifax (H)

Mick

Life President
Matches against Halifax commenced in 1958/59 with the abolition of Third Divisions North and South. Since then we have met 47 times, all in the league, with us having won nearly half of them, 23 games, with Halifax having won 13, the other 11 finishing level. Their last visit to Roots Hall was twenty years ago – a season when we took 4 points off them to help condemn them to 24th place and relegation from the Football League. I know it’s not the same corporate identity, having been wound up and re-formed, but they’re called Halifax and play at the Shay so that’s good enough for me.

I hesitate to write this now as most of the recent matches have had the referee changed at very short notice but anyway, as it stands, it will be Robert Massey-Ellis from Coventry, the husband (and Ellis part) of Sian Massey-Ellis who has regularly featured on televised Premier League matches proving to be one of the more reliable Assistant Referees.

In his late 30s, he is an Executive Director of a Medical Centre. Indeed, whilst his wife has been travelling the world officiating in all the top women’s tournaments, he has been engaged in all sorts of worthy activities. These include Operations Manager for the RSPCA, Management in the British Red Cross and Medical Manager for the British Army.

In his spare time, he has been working his way up through the ranks of non-league refereeing and is now in his second season as a National League referee. Last season his 13 matches saw 52 yellow cards and 4 reds, 3 of which were in the same match. This season he has done 18 games with a high-ish 71 yellows and a low-ish 1 red.

Not included in those National League stats is our home match against Dorking in the FA Trophy when I don’t think he impressed greatly nor was he particularly bad. I don’t recall any cards.

He was also appointed to do the postponed home match against Maidenhead and then appointed for the Yeovil away match recently but changed and sent to Woking instead at the last minute.

He hasn’t refereed Halifax since his, and their, National League North days.

Assisting will be Jeffrey Aldous from Bedford who is Senior Lecturer in Exercise Physiology - University of Bedfordshire, and Robert Evans from Northampton. The former performed a similar role in our home league matches against Eastleigh and Yeovil and the latter makes his Roots Hall debut having lined at Bromley and also refereed our FA Youth Cup tie at Barton Rovers 6 years ago.

Standing by as Fourth Official will be Craig Green from Aldershot who assisted at home to Altrincham recently.

I thought he did alright. Couple of things that didn't go our way, but I'm biased. I thought he allowed play to continue in the main when both teams were giving it. Yellows given were warranted.

Linesman on the East was a little bit shocking. Couldn't keep up with play and I thought missed a couple of offsides. Worked both ways though as Halifax management was having a go at him as much as Kev & co

Linesman on the East was a little bit shocking. Couldn't keep up with play and I thought missed a couple of offsides. Worked both ways though as Halifax management was having a go at him as much as Kev & co
Lino was bad definitely. But the man in the middle was great, very fair.

Sadly the ref bottled the clear penalty for the shove in Dalby’s back as he was going for the rebound off the bar. Great pic on Chris Phillips twitter account.

This lead to Neal picking up a yellow as they broke away.

The linesman in front of the East in the first half in the first couple of minutes missed a ball that went out by a foot which almost led to a Halifax goal.

And then bizarrely Dunne wasn’t allowed on when Bridge went off injured.

Just because we won doesn’t mean the ref was good. I didn't think he was that special.

Sadly the ref bottled the clear penalty for the shove in Dalby’s back as he was going for the rebound off the bar. Great pic on Chris Phillips twitter account.

This lead to Neal picking up a yellow as they broke away.

The linesman in front of the East in the first half in the first couple of minutes missed a ball that went out by a foot which almost led to a Halifax goal.

And then bizarrely Dunne wasn’t allowed on when Bridge went off injured.

Just because we won doesn’t mean the ref was good. I didn't think he was that special.
Neal knew what he was doing. He doesn't get a freebie because the ref didn't give a pen.
The game was 94 minutes long. He didn't get much wrong. Head and shoulders above what's been served up most of the season.

Thought the ref was excellent. He’s not going to get every decision right (the Dalby penalty shout and possibly also the clumsy challenge by Atkinson in our area) but he was consistent and let them play football.

Agree with the opinions listed above, the ref had a good game, West Stand lino also.
All cards were warranted and a couple of penalties could've gone either way .

Oh yeah, and we won !

Back