• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

off subject but most famous footballer met: name dropping moment

south247

Coach⭐
Totally off whack but, come on, who is most famous footballer you have met? I would personally previously gone for either Trevor Brooking, Bobby Charlton or Chris Powell until tonight that is when I met a certain Kenny Dalglish. So, chance for all to, reveal all and tell who was most famous contact - being in same stadium/room does not count though.

John Chiedozie

Seriously though, would have to be Bobby Charlton for me!

Last edited:
Well i work with the ex Southend legend that is Tony Hadley......Enough said he is THE most famous person ever lol.

Tony Hadley?

Yes, pretty famous. ....... oh you mean that Tony Hadley !

Southend United related ones - Stan Collymore, Chris Powell (plus a few others, but they've been capped by England so have picked them out).

England legends - Alan Ball (very fleetingly, he once asked me where the nearest bookies was whilst standing outside The Spread Eagle).

Whilst in Oz - Former Rangers, Newcastle, Brisbane Roar and current Australian International...Craig Moore.

Randoms - I once caught the same train to Norwich as Dion Dublin and told him that when he played for Cambridge United I hated him. He laughed and said he used to get a fair bit of stick from Southend fans at the time. He was a truly charming and genuine man (on a par with Sir Chris Powell in the niceness stakes).

Recently on a trip to Lisbon I was queuing behind Ozzie Ardiles holding his shoes waiting to go through the security scanners.

Met both Alan Ball and Peter Beardsley at a work function a few years ago. A World Cup winner and one of my all-time favourite players. That'll do for me.

Not football related but met the late Fred Trueman at a lunch a few years back.

Football related on holiday in Arenal, Majorca in 1974 we met up with Chelsea players Gary Locke, Ian Britton & Ray (Butch) Wilkins. Sadly the poor lads were not having much luck in meeting girls, and asked us the secret of our success. To which we told them we were Southend United youth team on tour. On the same holiday we met Derek Johnstone & Derek Parlane of Rangers and assorted other league players. At various dinners down the years I have met Alan Ball, Jimmy Greaves & Duncan McKenzie. McKenzie was a great bloke and good after dinner speaker.

Random one, BBC cricket & rugby commentator Peter West had a p*** in the trough next to me at the B&H tennis at Wembley Arena. I was astounded as I didn't think West peed like normal mortals.

Got invited to the emirates, Arsenal v Portsmouth. Was walking round the concourse and bumped into Peter Beardsley who was waiting for his mrs to come out of the loo. Had his kids with him and said hes a big Arsenal fan, even went to the Champions league final.

He just had ordinary seats in the upper tier although im sure a player of his status could easily get some sort of special treatment if he wanted it. What a nice fella and a proper gent.

Paul Clark kicked me when he was playing for Beauchamps against Billericay

Brian Talbot whilst on holiday on the isle of Wight

Not Football but at a Holiday camp all the semi finalists of the Darts tournament got to play one 301 leg against Cliff Lazarenko I got one dart at a double ....

Met Danny and Andy Greaves at a Billericay Town - Ford United game many many years back and they took me to meet their dad after the game, unfortunately he was "unwell"and not seeing people..

Have i told you that my brother is Russell Crowe

Charlie George gave me a tour round the Emirates.

Tes Bramble however, once signed my school report.

Leon Cort also promised me he wouldn't leave us in the summer of 2004. Two weeks later he was gone.

Last edited:
Met Trevor Brooking once many, many years ago as was suitably underwhelmed. Met (very briefly) Perliugi Collina at Frankfurt Airport but he was so rushed didn't even stop for a photo (git).

Off footy, met David Campese in his Rugby shop in Sydney. Nice enough bloke. For an Aussie.

Brother met Maradona at some airport or other and apparantly had a long chat with the drug addled hand of god cheating git.

Met Danny and Andy Greaves at a Billericay Town - Ford United game many many years back and they took me to meet their dad after the game, unfortunately he was "unwell"and not seeing people..

you didnt miss anything. The bloke is a prize **** despite his TV good guy personality

Back