• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Official at last. Maher,Currie,Bentley.

If you would've given me those three names and those three job titles and asked me who's who I probably would've switched Maher and Currie's name around seeing as Currie has experience as a manager in this league.

Presumably all these appointments are independent of eachother? If this is the case, brilliant. I've had enough of the wholesale backroom changes.

Someone will have to tell me the difference is between manager and head coach. But aside from that I'm really excited by the news, I can't wait for Saturday now.
Head coach simply takes the squad and does the football side of things. Training, matchday prep, game day.

Recruitment and p*****g money up the wall buying and sacking player squads should slowly become a thing of the past.

No 'manager' means no temporary custodian making long-term damaging decisions e.g. Kevin Bond's signings or some of Chris Powell's signings.

The man who turned his own Southend career around

The man who has been knocked back from this job previously, but battled back again

The only Southend player who’s name I’ve had on the back of my shirt

The man who has come back to manage us before his own testimonial

On top of all that is an absolute proper bloke

Delighted. ****ing delighted. Welcome home King Kev
Indeed you are right about turning his Southend career around. In the late 90s early 00s he was lucky to have still been playing for us. He was terrible on occasions.
But he stuck at it and became a superb player for us

Quite telling what Kev said it that short interview “There will be a work ethic.... (now)”. Think this is the best/most realistic appointment we could have hoped for. Interested to see how the three will work together, but overall I feel more than optimistic.

Forget about the new guys, let’s celebrate our modern club releasing video’s, twitter & website announcements! Things are a changing :)

Very happy with that combination, with combination being the key word.

Maher probably my second favourite ever SUFC player behind David Crown. Harshly treated by fans in the early part of his career IMO, I really hope he is a success, and by success I mean mid-table.

Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night which is quite frustrating. Not at 330am now.

Phenomenal, simply phenomenal! It is no secret to most that Super Kev is my favourite player of all time. What a trio this is!

Stan you a have been magnificent. Thank you so much.

Meh, tilly had no experience.
Currie also insisted that his teams play out from the back. That worked well with Moseley didn't it?
Think everyone is getting carried away here. I really hope they do ,but I can't see these 3 making much of a difference. Lets just calm down and wait and see what happens.

Currie also insisted that his teams play out from the back. That worked well with Moseley didn't it?
Think everyone is getting carried away here. I really hope they do ,but I can't see these 3 making much of a difference. Lets just calm down and wait and see what happens.

I agree we shouldn’t expect miracles but jeez if you can’t be optimistic about this then what’s the point!

With the Barnet team that made the National League play-offs? Sounds like it worked well for him.

Agree with your last comment, lets give them time to put their stamp on the team and get rid of the deadwood Brown brought in this summer.

After hearing mahers interview and the fact Currie and Bentley are also part of the management team I'm pleased with the decision! Makes sense having maher who's a southend legend and Currie who's managed at national league level and has the credentials to be a manager and Bentley who's been doing good things.Stan and the selection panel have selected each individual on there credentials and this can only benefit the club.

Well
Yes - Kevin Maher
Yes - Darren Currie
Yes - Mark Bentley
Was a big clue then.

Loved Maher and Bentley as players.

Very happy with all 3 appointments.

Great job Stan and all those concerned.

Names, SUFC connections and coaching credentials aside, this FEELS different. It feels like great care and thought has gone into this and we’re planning long term, building something. It’s a coaching TEAM not just a manager we’re taking a punt on. I’m fully expecting the same diligent approach now with players, no doubt in my mind now they’ll want to come. Loans maybe initially, it’ll take time.. let’s not expect instant miracles.

I must admit I’m buzzing and to all the “cautious” ones .. no actually I will get carried away.. as we’ve had **** all to get excited about for ages.

Back