• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

oh, stanley stanley,

Winkle

Manager
A good read, says some great things about his time at roots hall,"I would rather watch southend than sit in a sterile stadium like chelsea bridge" also says how even when he played for bigger clubs the last day of the 1992/1993 season when we beat luton 2-1 to stay up was the best........................a facking legend!!!!!

SUPERB !!! and you have to agree 100 % with him , what we have got is a hungry Manager doin for the Club he supports and hungry players and its so much more real and intimate than anything Chealski will ever experience again !!!

Utter Legend
biggrin.gif

What a legend! Here's the article in full

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The Times October 15, 2005

Collymore harking back to Roots as he climbs out of abyss
By Rick Broadbent

STAN COLLYMORE has been through a lot in recent years. From dogging in Cannock to grilling by Richard and Judy, suicidal thoughts to Sex And Love Addicts Anonymous, it has been a trawl through purgatory, but he hopes that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Much like his beloved Southend United.

The Shrimpers have had to cope with debt and disappointment, accompanied by a long-running stadium saga and the trauma of the burnt pier, but they are now sitting pretty at the top of Coca-Cola League One and aiming for successive promotions. It is a far cry from the scenario two seasons ago when Ron Martin, the chairman, said that he could not see “the passion in the eyes” of Steve Wignall, the manager, and sacked him.

Collymore put his hat in the ring, but the club turned to Steve Tilson. While that move has been vindicated, Collymore’s offer of help is open-ended. “I’m delighted that it’s going so well because the fans are doing it through pure, unadulterated joy,” he said. “I have friends who are Chelsea supporters, but it is far better to go and watch a side like Southend than sit in a sterile stadium, where it’s cold and clinical, and grow blasé about winning championships.

“I said I’d help in any way I could, even if it meant just going into the dressing-room to have a few words. I wanted to give something back because I still rate helping keep Southend in the old first division as one of my finest achievements.”

It came down to the last game of the 1992-93 season and Southend beat Luton Town 2-1. Forget the England caps and fetching almost £20 million in transfer fees, memories of that game are as vivid as any Collymore possesses.

“I’d scored two or three on the bounce, it was a real bone-hard pitch and the weather was nice,” he said. “When the final whistle went there must have been 1,000 fans on the pitch. I got stripped of everything but my underpants — nobody wanted those. It was an incredible day. A lot of people will go through their careers without knowing what it feels like to experience that happiness at lower-league level.

“Later, when I moved to bigger clubs, I didn’t like the way you were treated. It wasn’t pressure, but it was not as much fun as it had been. I wouldn’t swap that day against Luton for winning the FA Cup or the championship.”

The impact Southend made on Collymore was huge, given that his spell at Roots Hall lasted only eight months and 15 goals before he was sold to Nottingham Forest at a £3 million profit, but it was there that he worked with two of the managers he still respects, Colin Murphy and Barry Fry. “I don’t need anyone to defend me, but Barry is always ready to do that,” Collymore said.

Taking a break in Australia at present, Collymore does not expect to return to football and has completed work on his first significant film, Basic Instinct 2: Risk Addiction, with Sharon Stone and Charlotte Rampling. In the new, updated paperback version of Tackling My Demons, his biography, he admits to starting 2005 by fleeing to France and contemplating killing himself.

An intelligent man, often unfairly pilloried, it is to be hoped that acting helps him to “crawl back towards the light”. Southend, whose progress he is monitoring via the internet and his friends in the supporters’ club, are showing him the way.

What a legend!

I'll never forget that Luton game...Andy Sussex scored a screamer, Stan did get the ball in the back of the net but it was ruled out for offside.

At the end I was on the pitch as Stan was carried off...his shirt and shorts got ripped to shreds!!!

I hope Stan's acting career goes from strength to strength....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shepherd's Bush Shrimper @ Oct. 17 2005,11:51)]At the end I was on the pitch as Stan was carried off...his shirt and shorts got ripped to shreds!!!
Fat Barry's lucky flat-cap went AWOL that day too & the club appealed for it's return I remember!

Not sure about his shirt getting ripped, I'm sure I've seen somebody wearing a team-issue long sleeve Elonex No10 shirt at various away-days & I always assumed it was the lucky recipient from the Luton pitch invasion.

Also, my Watford supporting mates have never forgiven me for shaking Luton supporters hands that day through the South Bank fence!

Stan Collymore is an absolute Legend. We Southend United fans love him to bits, be nice to see him back at the Hall again, even if its just as a supporter.

Stan you could kick the f%&k out of my mum, and shag my sister in a crowded car park any day you want, you are a f%&king legend

I bow to you

I have got one of Stans boots! He even signed it for me after the match. A true legend and as far as I am concerned.....GOD!!

Back