• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Oil Spillage recommendations.

Aberdeen Shrimper

The Man who sold the world
Not sure if anyone has ever had to deal with an oil spillage in a pond before?

Approximately 3 liters of cooking/vegetable oil has been decanted in to my garden pond and i am desperately trying to fix the problem.

I am currently overflowing the pond to try and sift of the oil as it obviously sits on the surface, also using sheets of newspaper as apparently it soaks up the oil.

Luckily there are no floating fish yet and what with the oil not being toxic, i have my fingers crossed that it stays that way. The frog is slipping around every time he tries to move anywhere, trying to get him out but struggling.

Any serious recommendations would be much appreciated.

Throw in some Batter, Salt, Pepper, Tartare Sauce, some Lime Wedges and have a party.

How did that happen?

Whilst we were on holiday a music festival was held in the village attracting a lot of non locals, my next door neighbour just told me that a load rather drunk lads were in peoples garden. They must have found where i keep my used cooking oil before i take it to the disposal unit and decided it would be fun to empty the contents in to my garden pond.

Nice lads!!!!

I hear that birds and other wildlife absorb oil slicks very well ( just don't tell greenpeace)

Whilst we were on holiday a music festival was held in the village attracting a lot of non locals, my next door neighbour just told me that a load rather drunk lads were in peoples garden. They must have found where i keep my used cooking oil before i take it to the disposal unit and decided it would be fun to empty the contents in to my garden pond.

Nice lads!!!!

Thats alright aint it!

Put newspaper across the surface , let it float for a minute and as you pull it along the surface slowly it starts to absorb the oil, you will have to do it a few times to get the worst off but it does work. At least get enough off to allow oxygen to get into the water.

Then get the the gits who did it and give them a bath!

Put newspaper across the surface , let it float for a minute and as you pull it along the surface slowly it starts to absorb the oil, you will have to do it a few times to get the worst off but it does work. At least get enough off to allow oxygen to get into the water.

Then get the the gits who did it and give them a bath!

Been doing that for the last few hours now and it has made a noticeable difference, so has overflowing the pond.

I would love to get my hands on them but doubt they will ever be around the village again.

Unfortunately there are some very sad and nasty morons in this life who like nothing better than to cause other people as much grief and hassle as possible, I wish they would just crawl back under their stones a leave us all alone to get on with our lives.

Unfortunately there are some very sad and nasty morons in this life who like nothing better than to cause other people as much grief and hassle as possible, I wish they would just crawl back under their stones a leave us all alone to get on with our lives.

Awww MK isn't that bad ..;)

I will probably get pellters from the nasty clique though, you know how they like to cause and promote unrest and in-fighting!!!!

Yeah.

I heard he was a Right Wing, Homophobic, Racist, Colchester Fan who bred pitbulls for illegal Dog Fights... At least that's what OBL told me.

Yeah.

I heard he was a Right Wing, Homophobic, Racist, Colchester Fan who bred pitbulls for illegal Dog Fights... At least that's what OBL told me.

I heard that to..also that he tied up kittens and is very well known in the MK area for kicking peoples milk bottles over...OBL told me this.

Have you thought about making a 'boom' from one or a couple of long balloons, drag the oil into one place using the boom and then gently place a piece of material on top of it to soak it up ??? Once you have done this then the filter should take out the majority of the rest although i suggest you change youre filter pads in a couple of days time and then again in a week or so.

Failing this i think you need to call in Greenpeace, they'll send round a couple of tree huggers to sort it out for you :-)

I heard that to..also that he tied up kittens and is very well known in the MK area for kicking peoples milk bottles over...OBL told me this.

Yeah and I would of got away with it as well if it wasn't for you darn kids......

Back