• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Old Pics

sammyboy

Cannavaro
I just found these doing a search for Southend V Fiorintina, These may have been posted on here before and the person who took them might be on here so apologies if so, but I love the photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrtipps/

One question why was the Charlton v Southend game at Upton Park, was this when the Valley was being built?

Does anyone else have any old pictures or know a link to an archive or a gallery.

UTB

The valley had been taken away from them...Hapily they since got back there...They played at Palace and then W Ham...I went to a game there...I remember their fanzine was better than our programme, and we lost 2-0!

The valley had been taken away from them...Hapily they since got back there...They played at Palace and then W Ham...I went to a game there...I remember their fanzine was better than our programme, and we lost 2-0!

Cheers Barnet...

In the 1980s matters came to a head as the ownership of the club and The Valley was divided. The large East Terrace had been closed down by the authorities after the Bradford City disaster and the ground's owner wanted to use part of the site for housing. In September 1985, Charlton made the controversial move to ground-share with South London neighbours Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park. This move was unpopular with supporters and in the late 1980s significant steps were taken to bring about the club's return to The Valley. A single issue political party, the Valley Party, contested the 1990 local elections in Greenwich Borough Council on a ticket of reopening the stadium, capturing 11% of the vote,[33] aiding the club's return. The Valley Gold investment scheme was created to help supporters fund the return to The Valley, and several players were also sold to raise funds. For the 1991–92 season (and part of the 1992–93 season), the Addicks played at West Ham's Upton Park[33] as Wimbledon had moved into Selhurst Park alongside Palace. Charlton finally returned to The Valley in December 1992, celebrating with a 1–0 victory against Portsmouth.[17]

bad times....

Ahhh memories......May 6th vs Bristol City.....

Wayne Gray scores to send us all into another world!!!

I remember it being the Goats last game and we acquired lots of Man City fans as "honorary Southend fans" for the day.....Awesome day, probably one of my fondest memories at RH.....Pitch invasion, Dancing in the stands, hot sunny day, C-C-C SIDERS!......Took me a whole week to recover from the repercussions of that day!

Am in the Blackpool picture!!!
am wearing my southend top and black addias tracksuit bottoms with 2 white lines that went round the bottom half of the bottoms and cost me 20.00.
glad i have not got the long hair anymore.
Great day out went with 2 girls claire and Ginny.
That picture was 20 years ago and I remember it like yesterday.
Went on coach and if am corrrect we left at 12.00 on a wednesday that was organized by chris and Marion who run the coaches.
It was an evening game and we lost 3-2. again I think Paul Newell made his Debut in goal for us in this game. When we left the game we pulled over at a fish and chip shop on the coach and everyone got fish and chips suppiled by the supporters club!!! Never did claire was well gutted

Fond memories particularly of Fiorentina and good to see our flag billowing and us all looking very much younger. Top work whoever posted them!

Good photos. I remember attending the cup replay at Northampton, it was another thrilling match (albeit a 3-2 defeat) after the 4-4 draw at Roots Hall. Although it was a 2nd round replay, Northampton built a temporary stand along the neighbouring cricket field such was the demand for the match! I don't think Northampton have attracted a bigger crowd since.

In today's era, I couldn't imagine a cup replay between Northampton and Southend attracting so many supporters, the interest in the FA Cup has sadly declined since those days.

Back