• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Oldham Athletic v Southend United, Saturday 6th March, 15:00, FL2

Starting XI and Result

• James Montgomery

Votes: 85 85.9%
  • Elvis Bwomono

Votes: 63 63.6%
  • Shaun Hobson

Votes: 86 86.9%
  • John White

• Tyler Cordner

Votes: 15 15.2%
  • Tom Clifford

• Sam Hart

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • Timothee Dieng

Votes: 82 82.8%
  • Nathan Ferguson

• Alan McCormack

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Kyle Taylor

Votes: 77 77.8%
  • Ashley Nathaniel-George

Votes: 22 22.2%
  • Reeco Hackett-Fairchild

Votes: 49 49.5%
  • Simeon Akinola

• Emile Acquah

Votes: 53 53.5%
  • Brandon Goodship

Votes: 16 16.2%
  • Ricky Holmes

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • Greg Halford

• James Olayinka

Votes: 8 8.1%
  • Rob Howard

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Harry Seaden

• Jacob Mellis

• Win

Votes: 45 45.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 15 15.2%
  • Lose

Votes: 14 14.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shrimpergonzo

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver⭐
Staff member
Screenshot 2021-03-04 at 12.01.16.png

After reasonable results against some of the more high-flying teams, it's time to consolidate this form by going for maximum points against a team who, on paper, are more like our level.

A look at the form book shows that the two teams should be reasonably evenly matched:

Screenshot 2021-03-04 at 12.03.20.png

Harry Kewell's side, like the blues, have a few injury concerns - they made two enforced changes to the announced starting line up on Tuesday for the defeat against Bolton, they then had to make a third change when a player got injured during the warm up. The man to benefit from the late change, Kyle Jameson then got himself sent off in the first half so they have suspension issues too.

Obviously the blues have concerns too - Elvis being injured on Tuesday meant a reshuffling of the back 4 and having the square peg of Hobson at right back arguably led to Cheltenham's penalty. On the plus side, Tyler Cordner looked pretty decent as Hobson's replacement at Centre Back and our 4th keeper in 4 halves of football, James Montgomery, put in a tidy performance in goal too.

MM chose to rest some weary legs on Tuesday so will Ferguson, Taylor, Akinola and Hackett-Fairchild return to the starting line up this Saturday? James Olayinka sounds close to returning too, so will he be risked?

It's your turn to play football manager and predict the starting line up and final result.

Is Elvis back?
Is so then Monty and regular back four is easy pick.
If not then play either JW or JD there and Cordner with Hobson as CBs and Cliffoed as LB.

Dieng. Fergie and Taylor midfield

Akinola and Holmes supporting Emile in front.

4 3 2 1 or 4 5 1 if preferred.

Looking at the recent form, those goals columns look very different. Oldham scoring and conceding 21 goals in last 6 and us with 7.

Having their top goalscorer (Conor McAleny) miss the last game through injury should be good news, especially as he might line up on their left wing and we don't know if Bwomono is back.

However, they have goals in midfield. Bahamboula has 3 in last 6 games and Kellior-Dunn has 4 in last 9 games. Would expect us to play 3 in the middle to combat that.

Borthwick-Jackson was the one injured during the warm-up and his replacement was then sent off. Their left-back could be someone with little experience playing in that role and could be exploited. ANG or RHF could be options. ANG was poor on Tuesday and RHF showed more.

Whoever we play in attacking roles, there must be support for the striker. This was lacking for 60-70 minutes against Cheltenham and resulted in no real chance created.

Montgomery
Bwomono (hopefully) Hobson White Clifford
Dieng Ferguson
ANG/RHF Taylor Akinola
Acquah​

Not sure Holmes or Olayinka are fit enough to start yet.

So I would go. !!

Monty
Elvis. White. Hobson. Clifford.
Dieng
R.H.F. Taylor. Ferguson. Akinola
Acquah

Subs. Seadon. Cordner. Demetirou. Mc Cormack. A.N.G. Goodship. Halford.

Montgomery
Elvis (if fit) White Hobson Clifford
Taylor Ferguson Dieng
RHF Akinola Holmes

been really disappointed with ANG recently. Usually would be straight in my lineup but he takes too long to release the ball, and gives it away in vulnerable positions. He can certainly be a handful when on his game, so if the wingers are having a tough time, bring him on in the 60th. Acquah has played a lot of games recently and could probably do with sitting this one out, close to putting Goodship in

If Elvis isn't fit, why not play Howard. You can keep Holmes in the side, and therefore he'll have Holmes in front of him, and White next to him; surely that is a better option than playing Hobson (or White or Halford) there.

Another loss on the cards. Oldham score goals, yet they do concede, we don't score.

Fairly confident about this one. Our away form is much better than our home and for that I think we could get another good result here. We were unlucky in defeat during the week against a side that finds itself top of the table despite a heavily rotated team. I very much expect the team to look more like the one that won at FGR with one or two changes if those who played there are still unavailable.

Monty
Hobson - White - Cordner - Clifford
Dieng - Ferguson - K. Taylor
RHF - Acquah - Akinola​

Is what I’d like to see and I think it’ll be somewhere close to that. If Elvis is fit I’d have him at right back of course with Hobson back alongside White despite what I thought was a good performance from Cordner during the week.

A close family member is a Latics STH and is despairing of their home form. Away from home their results are very good (including the win at RH) but on Tuesday they lost at home (to resurgent Bolton) for the eleventh time this season. Latics score lots but concede lots too. Surely their abysmal home form cannot continue can it? Tough one to call but one where our forwards will not have a better chance to notch some goals. At least that's what the record indicates. Time to show our defensive metal and start improving the goal difference. COYB

Fairly confident about this one. Our away form is much better than our home and for that I think we could get another good result here. We were unlucky in defeat during the week against a side that finds itself top of the table despite a heavily rotated team. I very much expect the team to look more like the one that won at FGR with one or two changes if those who played there are still unavailable.

Monty
Hobson - White - Cordner - Clifford
Dieng - Ferguson - K. Taylor
RHF - Acquah - Akinola​

Is what I’d like to see and I think it’ll be somewhere close to that. If Elvis is fit I’d have him at right back of course with Hobson back alongside White despite what I thought was a good performance from Cordner during the week.

It could easily be that line-up, question marks over Ox and Elvis I guess will dictate.

Oldham's record this season makes interesting reading. They have scored more goals than any other side in the division bar Exeter. However they have conceded more goals than any other side bar none. So the division's worst defence meets us, the division's worst attack. Or put another way the division's second best attack meets our now solid defence. Hmmmm........so our match has nil-nil written all over it.....

Some Oldham fans on their forum think this will be an easy win to get them back on track......let's surprise them lads.

My prediction is like so, 0-0, one shot on goal from us but Barrow picking up a point with Grimsby losing. All happy bunnies again until either or of the two below us starts putting a run together and we are forced to stop this boring backs to the wall defensive game.

Really hope Elvis is back for this one and we can go back to our settled back four of previous games

4231 formation

Loan keeper
JD white Hobson Clifford
Ferguson dieng
Holmes Taylor akinola
Acquah

I feel this game could give us indication whether this team got what it takes to stay up. Oldham have the second worst home record in the league and conceded the most goals although they can score a few. We need to go their and be on the front foot! MM rung the changes Tuesday, which should stand us in good stead of winning Saturday. Score prediction 2-1 sufc

Last edited:
4231 formation

Loan keeper
JD white Hobson Clifford
Ferguson dieng
Holmes Taylor akinola
Acquah

I feel this game could give us indication whether this team got what it takes to stay up. Oldham have the second worst home record in the league and conceded the most goals although they can score a few. We need to go their and be on the front foot! MM rung the changes Tuesday, which should stand us in good stead of winning Saturday. Score prediction 2-1 sufc

Yes, I think MM needs to set us up with a couple of strikers upfront. Oldham's defence leaks goals so we need to put them under pressure. It's no good hoofing long balls miles over Acquah's head again and again like we did at Cheltenham. Acquah needs a striker alongside him to take advantage of the holding up and turning his man which he does reasonably well. I guess Akinola is that second striker and he needs to play right upfront not yards and yards behind Acquah as he has been doing.

Back