• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Olympic 2012 Memories

pickledseal

cowboy
A lot of mine revolve around being a GamesMaker. I got to drive golf buggies and mobility scooters around Lee Valley, the OP and Hadleigh Farm. Quite special to be part of the Olympic team but also to undertake a mobility project of this size. Nothing comparable had ever been done anywhere in the world. It was great for ill, disabled, elderly, newly born etc to arrive at the venue and us say 'no problem'. The Olympics were special to be a part of, but working there really made it for me:
epereba2.jpg

I was in Afghanistan and missed the whole thing. :'(

I was in Afghanistan and missed the whole thing. :'(

Did you get to watch?

The chaps I worked with from the armed forces were amazing. The organisers biggest mistake was not asking them in the first place to show off to the world how amazing they are.

Much better than the leering, toothless, monkey private security some public had to experience...

Good times, a few weeks when the whole of GB coming together, creating a wave of positivity.

I was lucky to go to the Olympic stadium to see an evening which inc Usain Bolt in the semis, I went to see the Diving with Tom Dailey and also to the Olympic stadium for the Paras. I truly loved that time

he8eredu.jpg

They should just show Super Saturday every week. One of those 'I remember where I was' moments

Did you get to watch?

The chaps I worked with from the armed forces were amazing. The organisers biggest mistake was not asking them in the first place to show off to the world how amazing they are.

Much better than the leering, toothless, monkey private security some public had to experience...

I caught bits of it but most of it replays if I was lucky. So gutted I missed it, every time since we won the bid when travelling to London I would see the stadium develop and say to myself "I can't wait to go" and low and behold I was not here. I hope we get a World Cup or European championship because that's the only thing that will come close.

On my way home from Open East at the Olympic Park, Acid Brass was amazing and bouncing on the blow up Stone Henge in the p1ssing rain was cool but I may well have pneumonia by time I get home. Not sure what it had to do with sport but happy enough to get involved.

Went to the Anniversary Games today image.jpg what a great day, brought tonnes of memories flooding back. In a way it is sad to see parts of the Park all torn up, Particually the Waterpolo Arena, which was a beautiful architectural piece, however, it is good the park will be redeveloped and used, rather than a dusty relic like Barcelonas is becoming (still a recommended place to visit mind).

I don't think I have one specific moment that was number one, as had many days at various events, however, for me, it is watching montages, highlights, look backs etc this week, and still feeling a massive sense of pride and joy from just watching them, and knowing that was the best sporting thing I will ever see, and that I shared it with so many good people

Last edited:
On my way home from Open East at the Olympic Park, Acid Brass was amazing and bouncing on the blow up Stone Henge in the p1ssing rain was cool but I may well have pneumonia by time I get home. Not sure what it had to do with sport but happy enough to get involved.

Probably nothing, but the 'legacy' is about regeneration of a former dump site, not just sport. If someone had told you you would have spent the afternoon enjoying yourself where you did ten years ago, you would have thought they were a bit mad (or asked where the F is that!)

Has the Olympics forum been deleted or is it still on a disk somewhere? Would be a shame to lose it was some great threads and posts.

Main highlight was seeing David Rudisha smash the 800m WR, but I also have very fond memories of the first morning of action.

We had all been enthralled by the opening ceremony the night before, but it was when I found myself at Wembley Arena at 7:30 the next morning for some badminton that it really felt like the Games had arrived.

An amazing few weeks.

Last summer was fantastic, we had tickets for the Hadleigh Mountain Biking, but was really annoyed with myself for not getting more tickets, especially for the Velodrome. Luckily we were able to tickets for the Paralympics while the Olympics were on, and were able to go and see swimming in the aquatics centre and track & field in the stadium. But even watching most of it on tv we still felt part of it and involved, without doubt the greatest sporting event we'll ever have. The previous generation will always talk about 1966, we'll be the ones banging on about 2012.
DSCF3128 (600x800).jpg DSCF3243 (800x600).jpg

Spending every night during the Olympics trying to get tickets for events and failing. I already had a ticket for one of the football matches at Wembley and I went along to the women's marathon and Hyde Park on the Sunday that Andy Murray won the gold medal, but I wish I'd been to something more 'olympic' like the swimming or, erm, beach volleyball. :winking: I also worked at the mountain-biking in Hadleigh as a traffic marshal, having failed at the interview stage to be a Gamesmaker. Luckily everyone in my family got to at least one event, and my dad worked as a Gamesmaker at the paralympics. It was a great few weeks, the country was in this little bubble where everyone was friendly to each other and proud to be British. I watched the opening ceremony repeat on BBC3 last night as I never actually watched it fully. What a masterpiece. After all the skepticism and cynicism about how the transport system would cope etc, we put on the greatest Olympics ever, and the greatest summer of sport for this country ever, although this summer looks like being a pretty good one too! I think London 2012 will also be remembered for changing people's attitudes to disabled sport, and giving it a much higher profile. 'Super Saturday' will always remain in the memory, too. I'd like to think we might get another Olympics in my lifetime (I'm only 23), but if not, let's hope we at least get a Euros or a World Cup.

One of my favourite moments was listening to the five live commentary in the car when Nicola Adams won gold.

One of my favourite moments was listening to the five live commentary in the car when Nicola Adams won gold.

I remember listening on the radio to that too, I bought a portable dab especially for the Olympics and heard plenty of medal wins on the train home from work.

Drastic™;1550207 said:
I remember listening on the radio to that too, I bought a portable dab especially for the Olympics and heard plenty of medal wins on the train home from work.

I can only find a clip of the last 20 seconds. As I recall, there was an Irish lass fighting after and the Irish contingent in the crowd were giving Adams massive support.

Back