• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Osborne to cut benefits

Ooo very dangerous words IMO..whilst I agree with most of your comments Dave..The job front out there is dire for most people....as an example...TJ Hughes recently opened up in Southend offering approx 100 jobs...they had over 2500 applicants.(Evening Echo).so that one shows me 1 jobs are in short supply and 2 people are trying to find work.

If, instead of appointing Sturrock, Southend United had advertised the post of manager I'm confident that they would have received a similar number of applications.

Do we know whether these applicants had the suitable qualifications (ie the equivalent of having taken Southend United into Europe on Football Manager), or whether they were timewasters? I'm sure whenever SUFC advertise the manager's post they receive a lot of applications from people who are merely applying with no real interest in taking the job, just to show that they are "actively seeking" employment.

Do we also know how many of those applicants were unemployed as opposed to those who were already employed and would therefore have created another vacancy had they moved on?

If I let properties I would rather rely on the AAA rated UK Government to pay the rent rather than someone who is presumably working on or around the minimum wage.

Note of caution Cyril. My brother in law was letting some places to people on benefits and was being paid directly by the Government. For some reason (and this is a year or more ago) the government changed their policy regarding payment, and sent the money to the occupier, who was then supposed to pay the landlord - which of course they didnt.

Took him months to get them out of his house and lost about 4 months rent in the process.

I'd estimate that if you forced those on job seekers allowance longer than three months and refusing provided work to do community service (a nominal amount, say five hours a week?), the number of long-term unemployed seeking benefit would dramatically decrease.

I'd estimate that if you forced those on job seekers allowance longer than three months and refusing provided work to do community service (a nominal amount, say five hours a week?), the number of long-term unemployed seeking benefit would dramatically decrease.

If of course you believe only the lazy and workshy are unemployed.

YEs you would have alot more unskilled unemployable people without homes .

The Benifits system is in need of overhall , but then so is teh job ,market . Hands up who knew that some people with autism make great programmers (well high functioning ones) but normally crap at interviews becuase they can have bugger all social skills !

Im on ESA , but i now do 2 day's , voluntary no money at all kiddies in Hockley wood's , I'm physical able to carry logs and dig holes , but i can't yet cope with the stress of returning to a target based working environment , I,m trying to get into 15 hours temp job .
Also having been through teh medical assessment for ESA ... its rubbish it has no assesment for psychological issues , nor neurological impairments or any of teh hidden disabilities . Its can you wlk 200 feet , can you hear can you see . Not will you collapse in a ball of your own neuroses if you forget your tablets , and eat the face of someone like Rusty .

Efficiency must come across the board , in job recruitment as well , not just bouncy exciting people who think they can learn a job in 2 weeks and jack of all trades masters of none (thast how we got our last lot of bankers amazing how many History graduates we have in the city still ....) . Back to school level and finding out what peopel are good at not what you want to sell as a brand or teh current employment ziegiest .

If of course you believe only the lazy and workshy are unemployed.

That's why I said "refusing provided work"... If you refuse a position advertised to you by the Job Centre having been unemployed for three months then why shouldn't you be forced to provide the community in exchange for your benefit? Unless there's something fundamental stopping you from taking the job (i.e. it's a night position, no travel links nearby), then simply refusing a job because Jeremy Kyle's good at the moment or you don't see a job as a cleaner in your life plan isn't going to help anybody.

The least you can do is nominal community service in order to desevre your money.

Southend Jobs Available (according to Jobcentre+)

Cleaning - 100+
Labouring - 100+
Admin - 100+
Supermarkts - 73
Other shop work - 100+

So i've just managed to find circa 500 jobs in 5 minutes, and thats not even trying hard

Southend Jobs Available (according to Jobcentre+)

Cleaning - 100+
Labouring - 100+
Admin - 100+
Supermarkts - 73
Other shop work - 100+

So i've just managed to find circa 500 jobs in 5 minutes, and thats not even trying hard

Might want to check the location of some of them i go through it with a search criteria of Southend and often get jobs for Basingstoke , Hartfordshire , and sometimes reading . Maybe their after some DBA's ;)

If you want to work, then you can get a job. It probably won't be the one you want, but it will be an exchange of services for money, rather than an exchange of whining and bone idleness for money. And if the job isn't at the end of your road, get on yer bike.

...TJ Hughes recently opened up in Southend offering approx 100 jobs...they had over 2500 applicants.(Evening Echo)..

I applied for a job as TJ Hooker but in the end they gave it to William Shatner.

At the end of the day there is a lot of competition out there but one thing is for sure - if you don't buy a ticket you won't win the raffle.

Last edited:
If you want to work, then you can get a job. It probably won't be the one you want, but it will be an exchange of services for money, rather than an exchange of whining and bone idleness for money. And if the job isn't at the end of your road, get on yer bike.

Trap yourself in dead end job reduce self worth even more , relocate get in debt to service needs of people running businesses on cheap to make short term gains that don't really help anyone.
Oh wait as clib and short sighted an answer as yours.

Isn't one of the reason's so many stayed on benefits because the lower income jobs can't allow them to support themselves in some circumstances ? Everything needs reviewing , the cost of basic essentials to resource's manufacturing the lot.

Trap yourself in dead end job reduce self worth even more , relocate get in debt to service needs of people running businesses on cheap to make short term gains that don't really help anyone.

Isn't one of the reason's so many stayed on benefits because the lower income jobs can't allow them to support themselves in some circumstances ? Everything needs reviewing , the cost of basic essentials to resource's manufacturing the lot.

Maybe if people retrained or set up their own companies...

Just go and get a job for chrissakes.

Maybe if people retrained or set up their own companies...
MArket and resources have to be there . Its a nice idea everyone is an entrapunor in teh making but how many certain types of shops and facilities do we need . Maybe it's time to start looking at the reason's that make our society rather then the front end as it were . Maybe we just have to many people ??

Actually thats going down teh wrong avenue there . the retraining i agree with but as i posted early maybe its better to take time and effort to actually discover what people are good at rather then the old idea of forcing them into whatever comes along .

Last edited:

And this sums up the fundamental floor of the benefit system. Getting paid more to do nothing, than to do something.

Having two close family relatives who rely on benefits (for proper, valid reasons), I'm always wary of talk of benefits cuts. If the intention is to prevent benefit fraud by either a) catching fraudulent claimants or b) making it more difficult for people to make fraudulent claims in the first place, that's ok (as long as it doesn't become so difficult as to put off genuine claimants). But simply cutting the budget for benefit is a tad simplistic, sure it may make the benefit system tighten up to try to eliminate fraud, but if that doesn't have enough of an effect to meet the budget cut then it could mean people who genuinely need those benefits could have the money they need to survive cut.

Back