• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

It has been covered before, but Peter Taylor took over between the sticks when Derek Belotti was flattened against Cambridge back in the early 70's. IIRC Barry Delf made one full appearance in goal for the Blues, circa 1980(?), and he was an outfield player at school......

Yeah but Delf played in goal for Trinity didn't he?

Tilly went in goal at Home to Middlesbrough (I think) after Sammy got sent off.

John Hendrie is a diving tart.

Option (2). Definitely Luton and it was some giant American they had - Ian Feuer - who was injured early on and barely had a save to make. We lost 1-0.

I think it was Juergen Sommer. Could barely raise his arm above his shoulder but it didn't matter.

Was Ian Feuer, briefly, on our books?

Steve Brown (?) the Charlton full-back went in goal against us, in what I think was a 1-1 draw circa 1994. We barely had a shot in that game either.

I think I remember Steve Tilson having to go in goal at Grimsby in the early 1990s. Think we got beat 4-0 that day

John Hendrie is a diving tart.

I think it was Juergen Sommer. Could barely raise his arm above his shoulder but it didn't matter.

Was Ian Feuer, briefly, on our books?

Soccerbase reckon it was Feuer (assuming this is the game we're talking about; looking at that list, God knows there have been enough dreadful games with Luton down the years):

http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=1628&team2_id=2393&teamTabs=h2h

But now you mention him, I do think he was with us very briefly.

I think I remember Steve Tilson having to go in goal at Grimsby in the early 1990s. Think we got beat 4-0 that day
Yes, I remember that one. Sammy was sent off for handling outside the box as he slid to collect a through ball before the Grimsby forward could get to it and Tilly took over. I also remember the chant as to where the Grimsby fans could shove their effing haddock!

Soccerbase reckon it was Feuer (assuming this is the game we're talking about; looking at that list, God knows there have been enough dreadful games with Luton down the years):

Yep, that 1997 match is the game. It was a Sky game and as usual (Monday aside) dire. Jurgen Sommer must have been earlier. They clearly like their Yank keepers!

Soccerbase doesn't mention him as having played for us. We're probably better off searching Shrimperzone for him.

Appears he was linked with us in 2004

According to that the keeper didn't go off until the last minute but I'm convinced we played the lion's share of that game against an outfield player.

Have I remembered this correctly that his one game for us was against Swansea when Freddy got the famous hat-trick on his debut! But (correct me if I am wrong) didn't Lee Trundle hit the crossbar from the half way line alah Ryan Leanord??

It was from the kick-off after we scored our third (IIRC). The Swansea were a bit loud behind Clarke's goal and he had moved a long way off his line.

It has been covered before, but Peter Taylor took over between the sticks when Derek Belotti was flattened against Cambridge back in the early 70's. IIRC Barry Delf made one full appearance in goal for the Blues, circa 1980(?), and he was an outfield player at school......
Peter Taylor went in goal after Derek Bellotti was carried off early with a broken collarbone, we had scored first through Bill Garner, then when Cambridge hit back with 2 quick goals by Brian Greenhalgh Taylor then returned to the wing and was replaced by Alex Smith. Barry Delf made 1 appearance for Southend United in the 3-1 home win over Sheffield United in March 1983, Steve Phillips scored a hat-trick.

Keith Mercer went in goal after John Keeley was sent off we were winning 3-1 at the time the 1st thing he had to do was pick the ball out of the back of the net but we somehow held on for a 3-2 win.
Those were the days of 1 sub and it your keeper was injured or sent off an outfield player would go in goal.
This match was against Doncaster Rovers in September 1982.

Yes, it was early 1968/9 so Frank Mathews had already left for Torquay.

Perhaps Mathews went in goal in an earlier match as I recall thinking he was a little small for the role.
I think the match when Frank Matthews went in goal was at Millwall on January 1st. 1966(lost 2-0)?

Back