• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Own Goals

TrueBlue

SJP Taxi & Private Hire ⭐️
After Liverpools great own goal last night, I was thinking what great Southend own goals can you remember when I say great I mean in a show sence.

Mine would have to be one own goal we let in against Birmingham in the league cup about 4 years back or so it was either Maher or Phil Whelan who decided to side foot it into the corner of our own net! Classic!

Also not much of an Own goal as such anybody recall Andy Woodman in goal taking a drop kick and it deflecting of the strikers back and went into the net?
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrueBlue @ Jan. 19 2005,06:16)]After Liverpools great own goal last night, I was thinking what great Southend own goals can you remember when I say great I mean in a show sence.

Mine would have to be one own goal we let in against Birmingham in the league cup about 4 years back or so it was either Maher or Phil Whelan who decided to side foot it into the corner of our own net! Classic!

Also not much of an Own goal as such anybody recall Andy Woodman in goal taking a drop kick and it deflecting of the strikers back and went into the net?
biggrin.gif

laugh.gif
Wasn't it a botched clearance from a backpass against Orient? One of the series of Orient home defeats that I always managed to be present for.

What interests me about Traore's goal was who exactly was he trying to confuse? should make (own)goal of the season, me thinks...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrueBlue @ Jan. 19 2005,06:16)]After Liverpools great own goal last night, I was thinking what great Southend own goals can you remember when I say great I mean in a show sence.

biggrin.gif

laugh.gif
It was Whelan against Birmingham a stunning 20-yard volley if I remember and it was Woodman against Plymouth.

I believe the Argyle fans actually used to sing a song about it. Don't know if they still do.

Tes Bramble's header against Orient last season was a bit special - probably the best I've seen from him. Shame it was at the wrong end.

My first away game ever, at Maidstone United (anyone remember them?),
I do believe it was Paul Brush who sent the ball back to Sammy from near the half way line but somehow managed to lob the legend!

rock.gif

We lost 4-0 I do believe.

wow.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Its grim up north! @ Jan. 19 2005,09:26)]My first away game ever, at Maidstone United (anyone remember them?),
I do believe it was Paul Brush who sent the ball back to Sammy from near the half way line but somehow managed to lob the legend!

rock.gif

wow.gif
that would be my pick for own goal a couple of weeks before a Liverpool player done the same against Grobbelar, but Brushes was more classy.....people talk about sand on Bostons pitch last week.....Dartfords pitch was more suited to a bucket and spade rather than football.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Its grim up north! @ Jan. 19 2005,09:26)]My first away game ever, at Maidstone United (anyone remember them?),

rock.gif

wow.gif
My first ever away game also (double decker bus trip), and agreed - a classic own goal from Brushy!

Wasn't that also Andy Ansah's debut as a second half sub, or is my memory playing tricks on me?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Jan. 19 2005,10:26)]a classic own goal from Brushy!
Indeed an excellent attempt from some distance IIRC.

I also seem to remember the other half of our management team burying a belter of an OG away at Pompey, where for some reason when trying to clear a ball from about 12 yards out he just turned a hammered it into the top corner of our own goal.  A superb finish in anyone's book.  Cue stunned silence.  
sad.gif
  But I can't for the life of me remember when it was.

Hold it.  Wasn't it our last game in Div 1 before being relegated? Or was that the season after?
rock.gif

That's one thing he's not a VIRGIN at then!
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hooly @ Jan. 19 2005,11:32)]
[b said:

I also seem to remember the other half of our management team burying a belter of an OG away at Pompey, where for some reason when trying to clear a ball from about 12 yards out he just turned a hammered it into the top corner of our own goal.  A superb finish in anyone's book.  Cue stunned silence.  
sad.gif
Wasn't it opening game of the season the year we got relegated, with Mr Whelan in charge?

If you was with us in the pub with 'Pompey John' and the rest of the boys that day then I'm not surprised your memory is a little hazy!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Jan. 19 2005,12:23)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hooly @ Jan. 19 2005,11:32)]
[b said:

sad.gif
Wasn't it opening game of the season the year we got relegated, with Mr Whelan in charge?

If you was with us in the pub with 'Pompey John' and the rest of the boys that day then I'm not surprised your memory is a little hazy!
thats the game everytime Otto got the ball....the Pompey fans kept calling out Tessa to him,...as in Tessa Sanderson which really wound him up....we totally out played them and it was scored late in the game....
down.gif

The best ever OG was Spinner v Bournemouth, an unstoppable diving header from outside his own area. The best header ever seen - or not in Sammy's case.

In second place was Phil Whelan's volley at Birmingham in the league cup.

In third place his namesake's lob over Grobelaar.

However for sheer comedy value nothing ever beats two Gills going up for a header in the league cup and somehow managing to loop it into the top corner whilst also knocking each other out. Neither were able to complete the game, and as they'd already used 2 subs they finished the game with 10 men.

ps Tilly scored an OG on the opening day of the season two years in a row. Millwall and then Pompey, surely some type of record?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Jan. 19 2005,12:23)]If you was with us in the pub with 'Pompey John' and the rest of the boys that day then I'm not surprised your memory is a little hazy!
Mmmm! Might have something to do with it. Pompey John the man with bell & bugle.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hooly @ Jan. 19 2005,16:05)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Jan. 19 2005,12:23)]If you was with us in the pub with 'Pompey John' and the rest of the boys that day then I'm not surprised your memory is a little hazy!
Mmmm!  Might have something to do with it.  Pompey John the man with bell & bugle.  
smile.gif
Also he of the 'changed by deed poll, on his driving licence and everything' middle name of Portsmouth FC and a daughter called Fratton (as in Fratton Park). Total nutter but nice bloke.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Jan. 19 2005,16:10)]Also he of the 'changed by deed poll, on his driving licence and everything' middle name of Portsmouth FC and a daughter called Fratton (as in Fratton Park). Total nutter but nice bloke.
Didn't Paul Holland meet him by accident, in that he tripped over him at Rome station/airport? as each was on their way to an Anglo Italian game?  
rock.gif

Cant stand people who change their names like that!  
biggrin.gif

Piers  
wink.gif

I remember Julian Hails cooly slotting a ball into the bottom of the North Bank net. It was a neat side footed volley, when we was in Nationwide Divy 2.

Back