• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Own Goals

Wednesday October 1st 1980, P'boro away. Our championship year under Dave Smith. We hammered them, but every attack they had the ball went in the net and we lost 5-2. For one of their goals, the ball was ricocheting around the area and one of their players gave Anton Otulakowski a real hard shove in the back, he stumbled forward and the ball glanced off his head and flew into the net. He stood there with his hands spread out and a look of amazement on his face that the ref let it stand. Not a happy bunny!

I'd definately rank Brush's effort at Maidstone/Dartford as the best o.g. I've ever seen us achieve, with Julian Hails perfectly placed side-footer in 3rd.

Most of you won't be old enough to remember the one I'd put 2nd though, scored by Graham Birks at Roots Hall in a key promotion match against Barrow in season 66-67. If he'd bothered to look up he'd have spotted that Trevor Roberts wasn't where he thought he was and was coming to the edge of his area for what should have been a simple back pass. Birks instead hammered a cracking 35-yard left-foot effort past him that flew into the net. Much time has passed now but it must have been 25 years after the event that people were still saying "Do you remember Birks' own goal?".

[b said:
Quote[/b] (stid @ Jan. 19 2005,23:09)]I'd definately rank Brush's effort at Maidstone/Dartford as the best o.g. I've ever seen us achieve, with Julian Hails perfectly placed side-footer in 3rd.

Most of you won't be old enough to remember the one I'd put 2nd though, scored by Graham Birks at Roots Hall in a key promotion match against Barrow in season 66-67. If he'd bothered to look up he'd have spotted that Trevor Roberts wasn't where he thought he was and was coming to the edge of his area for what should have been a simple back pass. Birks instead hammered a cracking 35-yard left-foot effort past him that flew into the net. Much time has passed now but it must have been 25 years after the event that people were still saying "Do you remember Birks' own goal?".
Do you remember a super back pass in the late '60's in similar circumstances when someone turned and whacked it back and it sailed over Trevor Robert's head, hit the cross bar and lobbed back beautifully into his arms?

No, I've forgotten that one, but after all these years nothing surprises me....
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (stid @ Jan. 20 2005,00:54)]No, I've forgotten that one, but after all these years nothing surprises me....  
biggrin.gif
I was thinking about this, and I reckon that by following Southend since the '60's, with all the ups and downs, we have a much richer store of good memories than the average Premier$hite fan.. Wouldn't swap it for anything (or any team).

Back