• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
By co-incidence, this is the third match running, after Northampton and Plymouth that our matches with the opposing team in all competitions are tied, in this case at 19 wins apiece, from 45 games. The other two were still that way after the game; not what we want on Saturday.

Our last four League visits to the city of dreaming spires, or at least an industrial area just outside it, have all finished two nil - three in our favour, one to them.

Saturday's referee is second year official from Chelmsford, Michael Bull, refereeing his first ever Southend League match. He's refereed Oxford once before, their win at Burton last season.

He's doing well, with decent appointments but I'm surprised he's been appointed to this game, for geographical reasons.

He's refereed 18 matches this season, producing a slightly below average 48 yellow cards and 4 red cards.

He will be assisted by the distinctively named Dumitru-Ravel Cheosiaua from Redditch and Colin Lymer from Basingstoke with Gavin Muge from Bedford as Fourth Official.

Elsewhere Nick Kinseley, a Conference referee from Wickford, gets a trial game in the middle at Mansfield v Exeter.

Don't want to have a go at describing Mr Cheosiaua, Mick? :winking:

I would if I could. I'd say he looks slightly Eastern European, probably Romanian in appearance. Just a shot in the dark based on nothing in particular!

He's refereed 18 matches this season, producing a slightly below average 48 yellow cards and 4 red cards.

Not quite the same as the figures in today's Echo; guess which ones are correct!

About time we got a good ref as we always get @@@@ refs. At least that is what I think our fans sing when the refs teams warm up.

According to the official team sheet, the ref has been changed to Chris Sarginson. I have taken the liberty of copying Mick's refwatch from the last time he officiated (Stevenage at home this season)

As we look to preserve our unbeaten record against Stevenage in all competitions, the man in charge of tomorrow's match is Chris Sarginson from Staffordshire.

He is a seventh year referee who will be refereeing his seventh Southend match and, for me, he falls into the "lucky to still be there" category.

We'd been riding our luck with Gavin Ward matches so he was due a poor one, perhaps Sarginson is due a good one?

His last Southend match was the sub-standard performance at Fleetwood at the back end of last season (1-1), with yellows for Egan and Leonard.

Previously it was the away game at Plymouth when we were leading 2-0 with about 5 mins to go and finished up with a point. Yellows for Timlin, Martin and Dickinson and one of theirs. Before that it was the Shrimps vs Shrimpers defeat four years ago when we just shaded the yellows with 3 against their 2. Then in the same season on New Year's Day at Oxford, when, as we won and he booked loads of theirs and none of ours, there were no complaints.

Then it was the hollow victory against Stockport at the end of the 2009/10 season and defeat at MK Dons the season before that.

His card count was decidedly average last season.

Mick's assessment of the Stevenage game "his usual sub-standard performance" - judging by the length and tone of that refwatch thread, many others agreed with him!

Let's hope for a better performance today!

Can't say I'm surprised - unlikely to be an improvement!

He's doing well, with decent appointments but I'm surprised he's been appointed to this game, for geographical reasons.

It looks like someone at the Football League Appointments Office stumbled across a map and decided to do a straight swap between the AFC Wimbledon match and Oxford, with Michael Bull finishing up presiding over Carlisle's win at Wimbledon.

Back