• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Oxford City v Southend United, Saturday 17th February, 15:00k.o., NL

Starting XI and result

• Collin Andeng-Ndi

Votes: 79 80.6%
  • Gus Scott-Morriss

Votes: 81 82.7%
  • Adam Crowther

Votes: 82 83.7%
  • Ollie Kensdale

Votes: 83 84.7%
  • Nathan Ralph

Votes: 83 84.7%
  • Jack Bridge

Votes: 67 68.4%
  • Cav Miley

Votes: 78 79.6%
  • James Morton

Votes: 64 65.3%
  • Noor Husin

Votes: 46 46.9%
  • Harry Cardwell

Votes: 69 70.4%
  • Danny Waldron

Votes: 66 67.3%
  • Henry Sandat

Votes: 40 40.8%
  • Marcus Dackers

Votes: 9 9.2%
  • Wes Fonguck

Votes: 33 33.7%
  • Jack Wood

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Oli Coker

Votes: 10 10.2%
  • David Martin

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • ….

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ….

• ….

• Win

Votes: 55 56.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 9 9.2%
  • Lose

Votes: 13 13.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimpergonzo

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver⭐
Staff member
Two consecutive 1-0 home defeats followed our 3-0 defeat at league leaders Chesterfield - 3 games, no goals, no points.

The place we’re going to try to put it right is Marsh Lane, home of Oxford City who, whilst we were slipping to a late 1-0 loss, were themselves getting thumped 7-1 just up the A13 at Dagenham.

Make no mistake, both teams are in a bit of bother - Oxford are adrift and rock bottom of the National League whilst after Tuesday night’s results we’re only one place outside the relegation positions on goal difference. Both teams should therefore be fighting for their National League lives on Saturday afternoon.

Both teams, as you’d expect, are on a poor run of form at the moment with The Hoops in even worse form than us.

IMG_6778.jpeg

Managed by Ross Jenkins, the former Watford midfielder (and the second, and less famous, person of that name to have played for Watford!) they are playing at this level for the first time in their 140 year history having been promoted via the National League playoffs last season. They look pretty much doomed to drop back down a level again at the end of this season. Our clubs don’t really have a lot in common with a massive gulf in our support with their average home crowd this season being under 1000 - however they are the club where former Southend manager, and England World Cup winning captain, Bobby Moore cut his managerial teeth in the late 70s (with Harry Redknapp as his assistant).

The starting XI for blues at Roots Hall last Saturday was the one many of us, including myself, would have picked. However something was just not right with it - for my money it was the predictability of our attacks and lack of a plan B.

So who would you pick this week to put things right on the artificial pitch in Oxford, and what do you predict the result will be?

Last edited:
Reactions: RHB
We're going to this, start of a very welcome few days in the Cotswolds. I'd honestly consider going a more orthodox 4-4-2, and freeing Jack Bridge from the pressures of wing back.

If it was me I'd go for a 4-3-1-2 / 4-3-3 with Sandat playing just behind the front 2. This would enable us to have a different options rather than just going down the left / right wings. Let's try and go at teams through the middle occasionally running at them.

Collin
Gus, Crowther, Kensdale, Ralph
Wood, Miley, Bridge
Sandat
Cardwell, Waldron
I'd also like to see players switching around more. Wood and Bridge switching sides mid game and Sandat switching with Wood or Bridge occasionally.

But please, not every attack down the left. I'd like to think even my 5 year old has figured out that particular tactic.

It's a must win game. Not just for league positioning but psychologically for the players as well.

Would be nice to see us revert to a 4-3-3 and give Bridge a “free role”, either in a front 3 or just behind a front 2, to do as he pleases. May stop him getting marked out of the game.

I can’t see Kev altering the system or the way we play. I just hope they’ve been working on ways of getting the ball in the box earlier and making sure a man or two is attacking down the middle. Plus if we get the chance to shoot, then put your laces through it. No extra touch.

We had chances to score the last few games so hopefully this’ll be one where those chances come off. Get Crowther up for corners. Get those long Gus throws into play. No disrespect to Oxford but we need to be looking to take all 3 points back to Essex.

In short, if we can't beat this lot with 20 defeats (worst in the div) in 33 matches, 68 goals shipped (worst in the div) and coming off the back of a 7-1 defeat at Daggers, then we are in bigger trouble than we think. They have also lost 9 times at home, so the 3G pitch can't be used as an excuse either.

Just win.

Although it's most unlikely to happen , I would rest Jack Bridge and play Moreton as a left sided wing back, he has a cultured left foot. Also play Wood and Coker as attacking midfielders, at least they have a goal in them.

In short, if we can't beat this lot with 20 defeats (worst in the div) in 33 matches, 68 goals shipped (worst in the div) and coming off the back of a 7-1 defeat at Daggers, then we are in bigger trouble than we think. They have also lost 9 times at home, so the 3G pitch can't be used as an excuse either.

Just win.

We should have more than enough to overpower Oxford, especially a big away crowd, with big expectations backing them. And yet, this feels like it’s got banana skin written all over it.

Small little ground, plastic pitch, the team not firing on all cylinders right now. I’ll be honest, I’m not confident about getting a result here, but I am confident we’ll do enough through the remainder of the season to be more than safe.

Like you say mate, just ****ing win.

I'm thinking Oxford will be well up for this after their mauling at the weekend - they'll be looking to make amends. Hope our guys aren't complacent and can step up a level back to the intensity of performances we've seen before

Absolutely no doubt about it this is a win at all costs game Saturday, if this group of players lose to rock bottom Oxford, Kev will have a big task of picking them back up .
Having said that i feel we have too much for them, we should win the midfield battle and I predict a 1-2 away win

We should have more than enough to overpower Oxford, especially a big away crowd, with big expectations backing them. And yet, this feels like it’s got banana skin written all over it.

Small little ground, plastic pitch, the team not firing on all cylinders right now. I’ll be honest, I’m not confident about getting a result here, but I am confident we’ll do enough through the remainder of the season to be more than safe.

Like you say mate, just ****ing win.
Yep. As you say, It's almost got that FA Cup "banana skin" type vibe about it. We seem to struggle on 3G as well, from memory the only game we have won on 3G is Maidstone. We've struggled to adapt to the surface at Dorking & Bromley too.

We just need one off someones arse in the 90th minute, to hopefully set us up for a little run to pull away from the drop zone.

Yep. As you say, It's almost got that FA Cup "banana skin" type vibe about it. We seem to struggle on 3G as well, from memory the only game we have won on 3G is Maidstone. We've struggled to adapt to the surface at Dorking & Bromley too.

We just need one off someones arse in the 90th minute, to hopefully set us up for a little run to pull away from the drop zone.

You’d like to think the game would be wrapped up by the 90th minute… it’s the opening 5-10 which we need that goal to go in off someone’s arse the most!

If we can take an early lead, we’ll control the game & probably have opportunities to add to it through counter attacks.

My concern is if we go behind early and have to chase the game. 29 years I’ve been watching Southend, and never have I had confidence in us turning a game around, regardless of what team we had or what league we’ve been in!

The good thing is, we’re usually out of the blocks quite quickly. Aside from one or two games this season, we always seem to start brightly, we just need to back it up with a goal & as you say, it doesn’t matter how it goes in, just that it does

Yep. As you say, It's almost got that FA Cup "banana skin" type vibe about it.
One other club slipped up in the Oxford City FA Cup banana skin a few years ago - albeit at home, not at Oxford.

The scorer of the only goal in the game was former blue Matt Paterson!

Bizarrely Oxford have scored more goals than Southend (just) - and, OK have shipped in more than twice as many - but I think we would do well to come back with 3 points.

We need to go to Oxford and grind out a result (3 points). It can be clinical, it can be ugly, but not taking the lion's share of our chances should not even be considered, nor should pretty pattern play for pretty's sake. Stay with the high press, and increase the number of second ball challenge wins and the rest should take care of itself.

Can we do it? Yeah, we can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back