• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
A disappointing result but only just under 54 hours to the next one now.

PB claimed we would appeal Atkinson's red card, but assuming that he won't be available, I'd say bring McGlashan in as the only change.

Smith,
Demetriou, Thompson, Ferdinand, Coker,
McGlashan, Leonard, Wordsworth, Timlin,
Cox, Fortune
Subs: Bexon, White, Inniss, Amos, Hines, Robinson, Nouble

Suppose this will be a big test of Fortune's fitness but given he only played an hour on Saturday I would expect him to start.

I fancy sneaking a 2-1 win but could be tougher than it looks on paper.

Thoughts and predictions?

Another difficult fixture as Oxford are on a good run of form, 5 wins on the bounce. They do have an important FA Cup game away at Middlesbrough on Saturday so possible they may rest one or two key players? Only 3 points behind us, so effectively a must win / not lose game for us. Reckon we can bag at least a point, and would agree with the team Manor15 has laid out. Only question would be whether Ranger may come in for Nouble on the bench?

Yes, I wonder if Ranger will be on the bench given that I don't think that an appeal against the red card will be launched.

And if I was the Oxford manager (Appleton?) I would say to my players that the game on Tuesday will be a chance for players to stake a claim for the starting XI on Saturday - so pull your fingers outand consequently Atkinson will not be available.

Manor15 has suggested that McGlashan come in for Atkinson and I would have thought that would be the most obvious choice.

A weirder choice would be to push Lenny out right and pull Cox back into midfield and start with Robinson and Fortune up top. Can't see that happening but Browny has surprised many of us before.

And why wasn't O'Neill on the bench on Saturday? Perhaps he will be fit for the game and could go into the team.

Still think McGlashan is better utilised as an impact sub. I would have though good opportunity to bring in Spurs boy for Will if he is still banned come Tuesday. Oxford away would as good a game to blood him as any I would think and there is no doubt we'll need him before season is out. Keep the same shape by and large and have Ranger, Robinson and McGlashan on bench if we need to chase game. I would think PB will want to give Nile a run out in a reserve game before considering him for a start.

Far too many people agreeing with Manor here, he's not used to it you know:smiles:. That said, I'm going to add to the 'I agree with Manor' list. I really can't see Ranger being on the bench and I don't understand how anyone would think this is possible. He is probably not ready physically or mentally yet. If Fortune is lacking the necessary oomph to play again so soon, then maybe we start Robinson next to Cox, and Marc could be the impact sub.

I wasn't at Millwall, so I don't have a view on Wordsworth, but again PB may choose to start someone else in his place, maybe Amos, and have him on the bench if he's a bit leg weary. He certainly put in a shift against Scunthorpe.

Still think McGlashan is better utilised as an impact sub. I would have though good opportunity to bring in Spurs boy for Will if he is still banned come Tuesday. Oxford away would as good a game to blood him as any I would think and there is no doubt we'll need him before season is out. Keep the same shape by and large and have Ranger, Robinson and McGlashan on bench if we need to chase game. I would think PB will want to give Nile a run out in a reserve game before considering him for a start.
Too narrow, as Amos plays CM or RB and JMcG would provide decent attacking width, which we've lost since McLaughlin has been out and now Atko is banned we need his forward runs, he deserves a starting place. Would like to see Amos at some point though either for Wordsworth or Demetriou who were both poor yesterday.

Last edited:
Far too many people agreeing with Manor here, he's not used to it you know:smiles:. That said, I'm going to add to the 'I agree with Manor' list. I really can't see Ranger being on the bench and I don't understand how anyone would think this is possible. He is probably not ready physically or mentally yet. If Fortune is lacking the necessary oomph to play again so soon, then maybe we start Robinson next to Cox, and Marc could be the impact sub.

I wasn't at Millwall, so I don't have a view on Wordsworth, but again PB may choose to start someone else in his place, maybe Amos, and have him on the bench if he's a bit leg weary. He certainly put in a shift against Scunthorpe.

Antony Wordsworth strikes me as a confidence player, he looked downbeat yesterday, and noted some fans getting on his back as he couldn't cope playing deeper after Atko's red, he also got stick at the Rochdale game - maybe he needs a rest? Complex characters these footballers...

I wanted pace on from the start yesterday and I think if JM were on from the get go then Millwall, driven forward by their home supporters, would have been wary of committing too much in support of the front line. He would also have given the chance to get behind the back line and put balls across that Cox and MAF would relish.

As it appears JM is only going to be an impact sub I would swap Timlin and Coker. I think Coker would give us more delivery from the left and our forwards need the supply. For Will I would have to fall back on O'Neill but his match fitness is uncertain.

There's little wrong with our team but occasionally a small tweak can do more than major change.

Too narrow, as Amos plays CM or RB and JMcG would provide decent attacking width, which we've lost since McLaughlin has been out and now Atko is banned we need his forward runs, he deserves a starting place. Would like to see Amos at some point though either for Wordsworth or Demetriou who were both yesterday.

just think if you have Amos and Timlin tucking in right and left of a diamond it really brings Demetriou and Coker into the equation as overlapping wing backs. Amos can do a very similar job as Atkinson meaning you haven't got to change things too much. My only issues with McGlashlan (particularly away from home) is you lose a body in midfield and he doesn't work back. I also like him on against tiring legs and the only times he has shown up to good effect have been under those circumstances. My money is on PB doing that but what do I know. He us just as likely to give Theo a start.

Has anybody seen this Amos play yet? How is that Amos is the preferred replacement? What if he is a lightweight a la King?

This is a tough division to play in - I don't care what team the player comes from there is no substitute for experience and putting Amos on from the start might just be the way to ensure we come home with out any points on the board.

That's not "having a go" at Amos but rather being a bit more cautious - youth and training games are one thing - a full league clash is totally different.

Where is O'Neill?

Has anybody seen this Amos play yet? How is that Amos is the preferred replacement? What if he is a lightweight a la King?

This is a tough division to play in - I don't care what team the player comes from there is no substitute for experience and putting Amos on from the start might just be the way to ensure we come home with out any points on the board.

That's not "having a go" at Amos but rather being a bit more cautious - youth and training games are one thing - a full league clash is totally different.

Where is O'Neill?

Only in training the other day. A friend of mine who coaches at junior level asked if he could watch training so I went over with him.

We were both impressed with the little we did see. Wasn't afraid to show and take the ball in tight situations and threaded some quick passes. Now I know its only training but there was a man next to him who hardly moved and had shocking body language.......Any guesses.

Last edited:
I am inclined to go for the following:
Smith
White Thompson Ferdinand Coker
Demetrious Lenny Wordsworth Timlin
Cox Fortune
Subs: Bexon Innis Amos Robinson McGlashan Nouble Hines (or maybe O'Neill if fit)

I didn't go on Saturday , but read lots of criticism of our midfield.
With that in mind and given that I think we should take the game to Oxford , this would be my line up.
The traditional 2-1-7 formation.

Smith
Ferdinand , Thompson
Leonard
Hines , Nouble , Robinson , Ranger , Cox , Fortune , McGlashan

Subs : Collymore , Eastwood , Ansah , Angell , Corr , Benjamin , Bexon ( in case Smith gets injured )

LOL, I wonder what the score would be if we did that! .. About 5-5, I reckon!

Smith
Cox Fortune
Subs: Bexon Innis Amos Robinson McGlashan Nouble Hines (or maybe O'Neill if fit)

I Like this line up , as I think Demetriou has the extra legs in midfield and that Atkinson will be missed.
JW adds height to the back four as well. Where Saturdays goal came from.

Where is O'Neill?
Or he plays with freedom and a lack of fear and inspires us to a convincing victory. A bit like Lee Sawyer when he first came to the club. Point is we aren't going to find out until he is pitched in and my argument is that there is unlikely to be a better time than tomorrow. If he has been brought in to play youth and training games only it would seem to be rather a pointless exercise to sign him. I'd rather blood him now and see if he is a viable option for the run in. It is now or never in my opinion. If O'Neill, Bridge, White etc (playing out of position) get in ahead of him then we might as well send him back to Spurs now.

Smith
Cox Fortune

Have to say that I like this line up also.

I really like Jason Demetriou's attitude and enthusiasm as a player but I don't think that he is a great defender.

I would like to see White back in at RB for these harder matches when we are likely to be under pressure - Demetriou is poor in the air and I am old fashioned in that first and foremost I want my defenders to defend.

Back