• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Paul Sturrock and Tommy Widdrington - It's official

Why wait till 10am on the OS now.....

3 year deal too.

I cannot help but feel positive about this. I'm getting more the feeling Ron was hanging on with Tilson UNTIL funding came through.

To offer a 3 year deal (and I assume some guarantees that he will actually GET PAID!) then to me, its all good news.

Yes, Tilson was dumped VERY harshly and I'm grateful for the success we had, but this is a new start and who knows what other news is on the horizon?

Welcome to SUFC Paul and Tommy!

One Stevie Tilson!!!!!
Nothing against Paul or Tommy but Tilson is our leader.
By the way Paul/Tommy your boss dont pay anyone!!!!

Looks like they've got the right experience - Sturrock getting promoted through Boardroom shake-up and Widdrington getting relegated 2 divisions with Salisbury after they had financial dificulties.

Maybe Widdrington will have some good non-league contacts we can build with?

Feel so sorry for Tilly though. No real idea what more he could have done, other than be a bit stronger with key players and make his substitutions 10 minutes earlier.

One Stevie Tilson!!!!!
Nothing against Paul or Tommy but Tilson is our leader.
By the way Paul/Tommy your boss dont pay anyone!!!!

I'm sure they are well aware and have had assurances. Sturrock has worked under these conditions before...

Shame if it had to be anybody it's not Paul Mariner!
This appointment fills me with dread like Murphy, Martin, Little & Wignall did...
Oh dear oh dear!

Paul_Sturrock_628646.jpg

Neither of them strike me as the 'puppet' sort, in fact I'd wager Sturrock and Widdrington both have quite the temper - Widdrington in particular was a no-nonsense tough tackling midfielder who played in the Premier League- always like him as a player.

As he was manager at Salisbury, surely he is obviously being groomed for the role here under Sturrock?

I wish Paul every bit of luck.

BUT

This man always looks drunk/half asleep!!! As a manager he has never inspired me with confidence with his persona, but 100% behind him I hope he does a good job and wish him every success.

I hear he has Parkingsons too I hope this will not effect him in his job in the long term.

Has Widdrington been brought in because of his experience of managing a club with financial problems? I'm sure his experience will come in very handy when we go into administration having been through it already himself last season, he can give Martin a heads up on everything that's going to happen and even help him to hide the widescreen TV with a view to doing a cash deal at a boot sale.

Right, lets first of all welcome our new management duo.

Yes I feel bad for Tilly, a great servant of the Club and a stand up guy. But lets also forget about the money side of this for the moment, Tilly did and has come under scrutinity over the past 24 months in respect of buys and tactics.

I agree that someone would not have taken this job WITHOUT assurances of ;-

1/ funding for players
2/ payments in place for the seasons ongoing
3/ all debts being cleared, enabling us to lift our transfer embargo

No this is not a message supporting Martin, but it is a response supporting the Club.

We all want the same on this forum (well 95% do !!), and that is success for the Club, off the field and also on it.

Booing and turning on a the new management team WILL NOT SUCCEED in achieving anything but negative performances on the pitch. We MUST support the manager and the new players at this difficult time.

It's been an awful period for the club, but Sturrock is a decent manager and it's time to get behind him (even if he was a **** to be agreeing deals behind Tillys back). I also take this as good news assume we've had a cash injection and will be getting players in soon

I wish Paul every bit of luck.

BUT

This man always looks drunk/half asleep!!! As a manager he has never inspired me with confidence with his persona, but 100% behind him I hope he does a good job and wish him every success.

I hear he has Parkingsons too I hope this will not effect him in his job in the long term.

I always thought he talked a lot of sense about the game and he always seemed to build good sides at Plymouth. Whether exciting or not I cannot say, but the fact he kept them in the CCC for a long time and attracted decent players there gives me good hope.

Also, as noted yesterday, his Parkinsons is apparently very mild and doesnt effect him too much. We'll see on that I suppose.

It's been an awful period for the club, but Sturrock is a decent manager and it's time to get behind him (even if he was a **** to be agreeing deals behind Tillys back). I also take this as good news assume we've had a cash injection and will be getting players in soon

it happens, people need to forget this.

Also, wasnt it rumoured Tilson was courting the Norwich and MK Dons jobs with his agent whilst under contract here? Its football...

Find it amazing that we can afford someone with Sturrock's pedigree (if it hadn't been in the wake of Tilly's sacking I think we'd all be pretty pleased with this appointment compared with some of the dross we've appointed previously - Wignall, Little, Martin, Bate etc.!)

Don't know much about Widdrington really.

Ron must have found some money from somewhere as I can't believe he would be cheap, or would have come without some reassurances about playing budget etc.

Let's give him our full support, we will never forgive or forget what Martin has done to Tilly, but we must move on as our club is bigger than any one person.

In a perverse kind of way, this is a strangely apposite appointment ... a sick club now has a sick manager. I understand that The Independent Living Fund - a central Government payment to assist people with disabilities live independently - is now only provided for people in employment, so this could be helpful (for payment of carers) over the next three years. Good luck, Mr. Sturrock ... you and we are going to need it.

Back