• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DoDTS

The PL League Boss⭐⭐
The similar thread on Swindon seemed to do well with nearly 70 replies although it did tend to degenerate into tales of violence towards the end, so here goes with Peterborough.

Who went their earliest?

I think I have a good shout here, Peterborough weren't elected to the League till 1960, and we played them from 1961-62 onwards. My first visit was Southend's fourth visit on :

16th October 1965 Peterborough 4-0 Southend United Attendance: 9,623

This pre-dated the Youth Section Coaches but I and mate (both aged 13) saw advertised in the Southend Standard that Eastern National were running a coach from their Depot at the top of Pier Hill. I remember that sfter the match we were delayed leaving as a couple of women on the coach hadn't any intention of going to the match they had gone shopping in Peterborough and arrived back late at the coach burdened with coffee tables and lamps that they tried to squeeze inside.

So Nobbler, Mick or anyone else did you go earlier?

After this I've been to the following:

5th October 1968 Peterborough 1-0 Southend Division 4
14th August 1971 Peterborough 2-0 Southend Division 4
5th January 1974 Peterborough 3-1 Southend F.A. Cup Round 3
5th May 1990 Peterborough 1-2 Southend Division 4.....Southend Promoted automatically after this match
30th January 1993 Peterborough 1-0 Southend Division 1
5th March 1994 Peterborough 1-0 Southend Division 1
28th February 2009 Peterborough 1-2 Southend League 1

So who remembers that famous match in 1990 with Mr Webb in charge and two goals from David Crown?
What other memories have you got of trips to Peterborough?

My first visit to Peterborough would have been in the Peterborough home end! Christmas/New Year 1978, we'd made friends with a couple of families on holiday who came from there and went up to stay with them. Dad and I went along and stood on the Peterborough terrace to watch Southend win 1-0 - didn't go down too well with those surrounding us, but we were vouched for!

On checking Robin's sufc database I note that that was our last game before the Liverpool one - happy days!

Not earlier, but it was my first ever away game in about 1984/85. We won 4-1. :)

Jan 74 to the FA Cup 3rd rd game. Great away end, under cover, alas one of those games when everyone said they going, and few did!?
Wont go into details, but it was a nightmare, as many of their fans wanted to meet us from half time onwards. And to rub salt in the wounds, they drew the 'mighty Leeds' at home in the 4th round.

This'll be my first visit to Peterborough. Must admit I'm not a regular attendee to games, but decided I'd like to go to at least 1 home and away game this season. My last away game being up at Grimsby many moons ago back when we were chasing automatic promotion from LG2, which we drew 1-1 if memory serves me right. Already got my Col U tickets for Feb ��

5th May 1990 Peterborough 1-2 Southend Division 4.....Southend Promoted automatically after this match

Did those three games, as well.

1990 was something else.

Just remember how hot it was and the players were dead on their feet at the end!

Did those three games, as well.

1990 was something else.

Just remember how hot it was and the players were dead on their feet at the end!

I can't remember if you was on the Blue double decker bus that was organised by GP and left from Hockley.

I remember that bus.

Howsey and so on went, I think.

We drove there and parked over the back of that park near the ground and walked across.

I know the town centre was lively before the match!

I remember that bus.

Howsey and so on went, I think.

We drove there and parked over the back of that park near the ground and walked across.

I know the town centre was lively before the match!

He did indeed. A couple of rival football teams got together for an end of season day out. I didn't think you were on board but as you know most of them though you might have.

Yes your right about the Town centre. Some locals decided not to make us welcome, which I found rather rude.

The bus was the slowest in the world and the driver went the wrong way and we ended up taking about four hours to get there. I remember that car park because the bus never started after the match so we were the last to leave. If you remember they had invaded the pitch and tried to get to the Southend fans. We ended up in some cheap horror movie when the car won't start. Just as the locals, complete with dated mullets, descended on our bus the engine spluttered to a start and the panicking driver put it in gear and we slowly limped away to a big cheer from all on board.

Last edited:
My first time there was when David Crown got a couple and we went up. (not sure of the year)

Jan 1974...........not one of the Blues best away days! Drove up there with a friend, full of confidence, having beaten Reading in the Second Round. It says a lot that my strongest memory of the game was the Peeeterboro', Peeeterboro', Peeeterboro', coming from the tannoy system as the sides came out. As for the game, we were outclassed.:'(

Does anyone else recall a very early season game at Peterborough in the 90's which was the only time we wore a white an grey kit , red shorts I think.

Checked sufcdb August 98 1.1 draw

Does anyone else recall a very early season game at Peterborough in the 90's which was the only time we wore a white an grey kit , red shorts I think.

Checked sufcdb August 98 1.1 draw

I was there. My inner nerd would be vaguely interested to know if that kit was ever worn before or after that game.

The similar thread on Swindon seemed to do well with nearly 70 replies although it did tend to degenerate into tales of violence towards the end, so here goes with Peterborough.

Who went their earliest?

I think I have a good shout here, Peterborough weren't elected to the League till 1960, and we played them from 1961-62 onwards. My first visit was Southend's fourth visit on :

16th October 1965 Peterborough 4-0 Southend United Attendance: 9,623

This pre-dated the Youth Section Coaches but I and mate (both aged 13) saw advertised in the Southend Standard that Eastern National were running a coach from their Depot at the top of Pier Hill. I remember that sfter the match we were delayed leaving as a couple of women on the coach hadn't any intention of going to the match they had gone shopping in Peterborough and arrived back late at the coach burdened with coffee tables and lamps that they tried to squeeze inside.

So Nobbler, Mick or anyone else did you go earlier?

After this I've been to the following:

5th October 1968 Peterborough 1-0 Southend Division 4
14th August 1971 Peterborough 2-0 Southend Division 4
5th January 1974 Peterborough 3-1 Southend F.A. Cup Round 3
28th February 2009 Peterborough 1-2 Southend League 1

So who remembers that famous match in 1990 with Mr Webb in charge and two goals from David Crown?
What other memories have you got of trips to Peterborough?
My first ever visit to Posh was on 8/4/67 the match was Peterborough 2, Colchester 1.(No I was not supporting either team) I was there to see Mike Beesley who was at Posh. When I first started going to Roots Hall in 1962 Mike Beesley/Derek Woodley had just been signed from West Ham he was my favourite player at that time and after I wrote to him he would often get me programmes from away matches as well as autographs etc. He was only at Posh for a couple of seasons and when he returned to Southend in 1967 I was then a regular at away matches and Mike would always give me a couple of complimentary tickets every match. He really did look after me in those days. I still see him now after all these years(over 50)as he still lives locally.
Anyway back to the Peterborough/Colchester match we left the match early about 16:00 to travel to Lincoln City(not my favourite team but that's another story) this game had a kick off of 18:15(strange but true) this was due to the Grand National in the afternoon??(Has anybody out there ever been to an unusual kick-off time).
He is my list of Peterborough v Southend matches. 5/10/68.Peterborough won 1-0(Lawrie Leslie broke his arm); 28/3/70. Southend won 4-3(Billy Best got all 4 including a 6 minute hat-trick?). 26/12/70.Peterborough won 4-0. 1/10/80.Peterborough won 5-2. the last time I went was a few years back we won 2-0 can't remember when because it is less than 35 years ago. I am going this week to catch up with one of my old Wakering mates, sure there will be goals because when Posh play us there always seems to be.

Back